I experimented with a Clif Shot today (Read 883 times)

My god it was disgusting! Dead Due to a tight work schedule, my runs on Tuesday usually always suck b/c I don't have enough time to eat,digest enough,stretch, run. I always get a bad stitch, and I always feel like an elephant. So I decided instead of eating a little something when I woke up, I would make just one cup of coffee and suck on a Clif Shot while walking the dogs right before I went for run. To see if there was any energy improvement and less stitches. Well, stitch thing went ok I guess. Just had a teeny one that went away pretty quickly. As for more energy, mile #1 was the usual. Mile 2 I still didn't feel like I could get going much faster, but after 2.5, I DID feel like I could pick up the pace a little. I did that for the last 0. 5 and felt great afterwards. So in a nutshell, I guess my plan did have some benefit. My run was overall a good one, as opposed to an overall bad one. Maybe I will try this again next week- but I definitely need another flavor - Mango killed me! I thought I was really gonna puke it all back up. But I got 2 free samples as some swag so I want to use them up first.

Cryptic

maybe just try the coffee and see what happens. I am not sure you need a clif shot for 3 miles first thing in the morning. I could be wrong of course but you never know until you try.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bugs

I prefer Gu.
        Me too! Not just the taste, but they are easier to rip open.

Bugs

Ganges Lim

Chewy Candy works for me in the morning =) But definitely coffee contributed to something
            I just feel like i need something a little more than a mini bagel or something. I just dont have time to digest that before i need to go out. I'll buy a few things of GU though, just to see.
              I also had another thought while running the other day. Most people on here say that they don' t really need any food prior to running in the a.m., that dinner from the night before is still enough fuel when they wake up. However,for me, I go to bed just after eating a small breakfast (night shift). Usually just a cup of oatmeal, a yogurt cup, or maybe just a piece of fruit. Combine that with not running until about 10 hours later, and its certainly not enough to even get me out the door without a fight. A coffee IV drip would probably be the best solution to all this. But since I can't do that, I think I'll stick with experimenting a little more with quicker digestable items. Or the other solution would be NOT to run on Tuesdays, but then that leaves me without running from Monday- Wednesday. Thus, cramming all my mileage in Thurs-Sun. And I ususally don't run on sundays anyway. That would clearly be too much for my body to handle Sigh! This is so much more complicated than I care for

Cryptic

A good friend of mine worked the night shift and swore on running before going to bed. Some how some way he could run after work and go to bed like an hour after his run. I know I couldn't do that but just food for thought.
                  How about Carnation instant breakfast? It probably wouldn't slosh any more than coffee. Maybe Ensure might give you more energy. I figure if that Karnazes (sp?) guy can run while eating an entire pizza, I can keep a Cliff bar contained. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

I liked used GU in the past and without any problems, and the Endurox after the run, having done that system in the past, I have now changed over and am trying the Powerbar system, they label it 123 for before, during and after. One of the big differences is the before, they recommend up to an hour before and it tastes like a tootsie roll. The 2 is during the run and it comes in a little packet but its much runnier and easier while on the run and then level 3 is the after run typical dextrose drink, although a lot of companies are now adding maltodextrin because they say its suppose to be better at least theoretically. Now I have tried Clif Shot and it doesn't mix well and so I have to blend it but its ok and I like it also, but I really like GU and I even like the Powerbar system additionally.
                      I prefer GU, the coffee flavored one is good. The chocolate tastes like straight hot fudge sauce, yuck. I run on a piece of whole wheat toast and almond butter. Sometimes it is a yogurt, but always coffee. I agree about the IV. I tried the energy jellybeans which I liked but it's really hard to chew and run. I only use that stuff on more than 10 though.
                      xor

I prefer GU, the coffee flavored one is good. The chocolate tastes like straight hot fudge sauce, yuck. I run on a piece of whole wheat toast and almond butter. Sometimes it is a yogurt, but always coffee. I agree about the IV. I tried the energy jellybeans which I liked but it's really hard to chew and run. I only use that stuff on more than 10 though.
                        Big grin Me like hot fudge sauce. And while I love my morning coffee, me no like the coffee/espresso gels. They have an aftertaste that lasts for miles and miles. And that taste, in my opinion, is "vomit". I am very happy they offer so many flavors. Everyone is different.

Jill_B

I fly.

I just feel like i need something a little more than a mini bagel or something. I just dont have time to digest that before i need to go out. I'll buy a few things of GU though, just to see.
                          I find a packet of instant oatmeal works well (when I eat before I run, which isn't every day). Also, count me in as a Gu is better than Clif person.

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, count me in as a Gu is better than Clif person.
                            Clif shots and shot bloks are NASTY, IMO. They both seem to have a bitter after-taste. Not a huge fan of their bars, either, though the blueberry one is acceptable. IF you don't like the taste of the Clif Shots, try another brand. I personally like the Carb Boom--the cinnamon apple one is my fave.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

IF you don't like the taste of the Clif Shots, try another brand. I personally like the Carb Boom--the cinnamon apple one is my fave.
                              I'll second the cinnamon-apple Carb-BOOM! It's like cheap apple pie filling. Yum.