6 weeks out for my first 1/2 (Read 401 times)

Doug Little

Elvis and I will be doing a 1/2 M in Memphis, in December. I have been slowly uping my miles and feel very comfortable with finishing. Any suggestions, for this 58 year old guy, whi has been running for just 5 years? Thanks Doug
      start slow and taper... no really start out at about the pace you have been training at for your long runs... no faster (well maybe just a bit but not much... 8:20 or so )... which brings up the point about your training... your easy isn't easy enough... 9:15 to 9:45 is probably more like it... That being said... your pace on your long runs is about your race pace for that distance so just go out the 1st half at the pace you are accustom to training at for your long runs... when you get to the 8 mile mark (5 to go).... you can pick it up if you want... and then really race the last 5k... That is my advice for your first...
      JimR

For 58, you've got pretty decent speed over the distance. Keep at those long runs, you don't need to go further than 12-13 miles on them as you're doing. Don't be afraid to fill in that week a little more, I find it helps to have one run midweek run that's somewhere between your normal daily run distance and your long run, but it depends on you and how well you handle 2 bigger runs in one week (one long, one mid-long). Maybe consider that for next time 'round, because I think in your case you're best covered by just continuing to do what you're doing.