Hansons Method Interval Pace Question (Read 174 times)

But if one cannot maintain the accompanying Easy/Moderate/5k/10k/HM/M paces for the specific training runs for that goal pace then one has to adjust the goal pace.

This has not been my experience. I have often been able to race at levels that my training paces would not predict. Know thyself, and don't try to win the workout.

Runners run

This has not been my experience. I have often been able to race at levels that my training paces would not predict. Know thyself, and don't try to win the workout.

Well, history is replete with tales of people crashing and burning by trying a goal marathon pace that their training did not support.  Unless one has sufficient experience to know otherwise, I would suggest that ones goal marathon pace and supporting training paces be in sync.

Why is it sideways?

I am not sure if the 12x400 workout the OP mentioned was supposed to be at 5k pace. If so, that workout should feel very manageable.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I am not sure if the 12x400 workout the OP mentioned was supposed to be at 5k pace. If so, that workout should feel very manageable.

The 400 Repeats Pace Chart (pg 59) shows three columns: 5K Goal, 10K Goal, 400 Pace. "Our program bases speed work on 5K and 10K goal times" (pg 56). (Of course, there's the question of what a reasonable "goal time" is for these distances. The book talks about 80-95% VO2max, but i'll admit that this VO2max stuff makes my eyes gloss over - which is why I'm looking for pace guidance.) But yes, the pace I ran the other day for the 400s felt manageable. Very much so.

I'm realizing that this program is based on, among other things, running with accumulated fatigue, so perhaps I'll feel it a bit more later ... after I've accumulated more fatigue. I'm just in Week 2, after all.

Thanks again, all, for the advice and clarity. This conversation has been, and continues to be, very helpful.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

The 12(400@5kw400r) are quite manageable.  The 12(400@5kw200r) takes a bit more work.

The following is what my Hansons' schedule looks like.

Well, history is replete with tales of people crashing and burning by trying a goal marathon pace that their training did not support.  Unless one has sufficient experience to know otherwise, I would suggest that ones goal marathon pace and supporting training paces be in sync.

Workout paces are just a really, really small piece of the puzzle. Putting too much stock in them either way is a bad idea.

Runners run