Please help me lower my mile time (Read 854 times)

xswtchbldesrrwsx

Now I know the only way to do this is the old fashioned way...RUN! Big grin but I need to know how I should pace myself and how much I should do I'm lowering my mile time for two reasons- Personal fitness AFTP (fitness test you take in Army Basic Training) I'm a fourteen year old male, almost 15 140lbs. I believe 5'11 I am a little overweight but have some muscle on me anyway, I have always had trouble running long distances even short distances whenever I start running, even at a low pace, I find myself out of breath quickly and huffing and puffing even if I'm not tired at all. I don't think I have asthema but sometimes I wonder I'm planning on enlisting at 17 and for the 2 mile run I am going to need a 7 minute mile. Well a little under but I figure I can work up to that once I reach seven. I now run, when pushing myself, around 9 min. mile how often and how far and at what pace should I run to lower my time within the next couple of months? Also, how long does it normally take to lower your time if you do it right? Thanks Smile
    jeffdonahue

How do you consider yourself overweight at 150 lbs and 5'11'' - to me you are pretty thin. I am 5'7" and about 162 and while I might need to lose 5 pounds it is not much more than that. Everyone is different. At just starting out though, you need to get your mileage up. dont worry about doing any speedwork - faster times will come just by getting more miles in.
        How do you consider yourself overweight at 150 lbs and 5'11'' - to me you are pretty thin. I am 5'7" and about 162 and while I might need to lose 5 pounds it is not much more than that.
        Yea, but I'm 6', and if I have a light training week I go from 150lbs to 155 or more. A non-training month puts me at 165lbs. And racing I can feel any weight above 145. I don't worry about my weight as far as diet or anything, but it's an indication to me of how race-ready I am. Sorry to hijack. Back to the OP: switchblade, or whatever that gobbeldygood of letters is: Train. Slow. Often. Gradually building distance. If 9min is your one mile time trial, that slow should be 10:30 at the fastest. If you're serious about this, talk to the cross country coach at your high school about when he's starting practices in the fall. The more fit you are, the better for your Basic will go. Good Luck with the running, and with the Army. I would suggest finishing High School first, from someone who's in the Armed Forces. (Army, but not American)
        chrimbler

Just go run and have fun, you have 2+ years to go...enjoy life Big grin
          Run like you stole it!
          Scout7

I wouldn't worry about your times right now. Just go out and run. Trust me, they'll push you until you can pass the run.
            JakeKnight

Good for you for planning ahead! Wish I'd had that much ambition at 14 years of age. This is some good advice:
              Just go run and have fun, you have 2+ years to go...enjoy life Big grin
              He's right. Just start running. If you want to run faster in two years, just work now to make running a part of life. Start slow and easy, but make it a habit. Slowly build your mileage. You're in no hurry. And lose the extra weight. Maybe start doing some work at the track when you get within a few months of your first PT test. You'll be flying by then. Work on the pushups and situps, too. Are you trying to max the test? I think you only need 8:00 pace (16:00) to pass it; 13:00 minute time maxes it for 17-21 year olds. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blfitmale17to21.htm

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Join the track team! Big grin I don't know, you probably do some other sports. I would have to say the same as everyone else, just get out, and start running maybe two or three miles a day, and work your way up aerobically. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be able to run a few miles and barely even feel it (trust me, I was). Also, it's really great that you plan to enlist. I could never handle going into war (even though I fully support the War on Terrorism). So, thank you in advance and good luck with the running!
                PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Hawt and sexy

A teenybopper thing this far ahead? for reals? They already said it; run slow and run often. Run far one or twice a week. Build up your weekly mileage slowly. No need to push yourself. There is no race today. I would really expect you to join the CC team too. it would be fun to be that age again and actually aerobically fit for a peak phase. You probably will have fitness tests at school too. We had the 12 minute run and then the mile. They phased the 12 minute run out my sophomore year in HS. Sad I tied for the school record for that one. I liked the 12 minute run better than the mile, I don't know why. Back then I had this silly idea in my head that I was an 800m runner. Meh.

I'm touching your pants.

grateful runner

My 2 cents... Run - slow and long like everyone is saying. Don't be scared of walk breaks. They aren't all that bad. then every so often, compete in a local 5k. After you are done, you will know why they bring out the speed you didn't know you had. (training + confidence) * HS DIPLOMA!!! = Army cadet Cool
                    2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month