Lifting (Read 188 times)

snake84

I just don't understand why a PL or BB would not want to do the cardio for long term health. I also do not understand why a runner would not like a more aesthetically pleasing upper body.

You guys are runners first and foremost so tell me, do you find going to a local gym at all intimidating? I tend to hear this a lot and truthfully, it pisses me off. All good runners are competitive but I think for the most part are willing to help others. This is not the case with most gym rats; ego's run high in the gym and it is always a conflict to see who has the bigger PP. I am fortunate to have my own place where I don't need to deal with the BS in a commercial gym.

mattw4jc

I find it amusing how lifters call running, etc. "cardio" and how runners call lifting, "strength training."

Many runners I know do some sort of resistance training. Maybe only pushups, planks and such at home, but at least it is something. But yea, most are intimidated by the idea of free weights. But this where your Planet Fitness and other machine oriented types of places have found their success. PF even did their advertising knocking the intimidating muscle guys to attract everybody else.

Personally, I started lifting in college but never really have stuck with it or tried for serious gains. I've read enough to understand the benefits on your bones, muscles and just about everything else to understand it is good for you. And because I've always had a sedentary desk job, I need something to keep from looking toothpick like. I'm far from looking like a guy who lifts weights, but I'm also not afraid to wear a tank top or take my shirt off at the pool or run shirtless during the summer.

GC100k

I find it amusing how lifters call running, etc. "cardio" and how runners call lifting, "strength training."

Exactly. I lift and I run. I never "cross-train" or "do cardio".

Not sure I agree. Seems like on the RW forums many, maybe even most, new folks would introduce themselves as "I'm not a typical runner because I also lift weights". It's quite common. I'm part of a Lift Heavy Run Long facebook group and so many people think it's rare to do both, but there are so many thousands who do both.

I do both and they have nothing to do with each other except they do conflict at times. For example, I'm down to doing lower body one day a week because otherwise it messes with my weekend long runs.

What a great idea for a group! I've met very few people (if any) who truly enjoy both heavy lifting and long distance running.  And here I thought I was special...

snake84

The operative word here is enjoy. I can do both and hold my own in one but I never have nor will I enjoy running.

snake84

... I need something to keep from looking toothpick like. I'm far from looking like a guy who lifts weights, but I'm also not afraid to wear a tank top or take my shirt off at the pool or run shirtless during the summer.

Now this is what I'm talking about! Good for you man!

Marky_Mark_17

I just don't understand why a PL or BB would not want to do the cardio for long term health. I also do not understand why a runner would not like a more aesthetically pleasing upper body.

You guys are runners first and foremost so tell me, do you find going to a local gym at all intimidating? I tend to hear this a lot and truthfully, it pisses me off. All good runners are competitive but I think for the most part are willing to help others. This is not the case with most gym rats; ego's run high in the gym and it is always a conflict to see who has the bigger PP. I am fortunate to have my own place where I don't need to deal with the BS in a commercial gym.

I don't find it intimidating at all.  There's generally a few idiots around who don't put their weights away or spend an hour doing bicep curls, but that's more amusing than anything else.  I have been going to the gym for a lot longer than I've been a runner though.

I agree with your point re camaderie between runners vs. gym rats.  I see the same guys regularly at races and although we are all competitive, they are always keen for a chat, share training tips, and support each other on Strava.  Whereas the gym crowd seems to be very cliquey for the most part.  It's kind of like at high school where there were the 'cool kids'... except we're not at high school any more...

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Snake on your next run try  running  slow you may like it better.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

GC100k

What a great idea for a group! I've met very few people (if any) who truly enjoy both heavy lifting and long distance running.  And here I thought I was special...

There are many thousands of us. I have met a lot of such folks over the years.

paul2432

I have limited training time.  I'd rather devote it to getting faster than an exercise in vanity.  I'm about as likely to work on an aesthetically pleasing upper body as I am to dye my gray hair or get a toupee.  Frankly, working out for the sake of appearance strikes me as working out for all the wrong reasons.   Reminds of one of my least favorite terms when it comes to fitness - sculpting.

My workplace has a pretty nice gym that I use.  Because it's a company gym it's friendlier with less nonsense.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think there's a difference between runners who lift with the intention of improving their lifting, and runners who lift for other reasons, including improving their running.

I'm in the latter category - I lift (legs 2-3 times a week after hard running workouts, arms 2-3 times a week on easy days), but with the intent of maintaining where I am (for vanity), improving bone density, improving my running stride, and encouraging the natural release of stuff like HGH and testosterone.  You can't take that stuff in pill form, obviously, but there's nothing illegal or morally wrong about promoting your body's production of that stuff via the gym.

But, unlike some, I really don't care if I progress in what I lift - I'm fine with plateauing in that gym.  (as opposed to my running, where I want to PR).  This means that I'm not really serving two masters in the same way that someone else might.

I think it's not that hard to combine running and lifting.  I think it's very hard to continuously improve in both.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

snake84

Snake on your next run try  running  slow you may like it better.

Na, it just prolongs the pain. lol  Truth be know, I don't care to even walk.

snake84

I have limited training time.  I'd rather devote it to getting faster than an exercise in vanity.  I'm about as likely to work on an aesthetically pleasing upper body as I am to dye my gray hair or get a toupee.  Frankly, working out for the sake of appearance strikes me as working out for all the wrong reasons.   Reminds of one of my least favorite terms when it comes to fitness - sculpting.

My workplace has a pretty nice gym that I use.  Because it's a company gym it's friendlier with less nonsense.

So... you don't care how you look or accept that you'd rather not put the time in to look better and will take what's on the table? In all fairness, what's so special in "Getting Faster" then? Why bother with any of it?

snake84

I think there's a difference between runners who lift with the intention of improving their lifting, and runners who lift for other reasons, including improving their running.

I'm in the latter category - I lift (legs 2-3 times a week after hard running workouts, arms 2-3 times a week on easy days), but with the intent of maintaining where I am (for vanity), improving bone density, improving my running stride, and encouraging the natural release of stuff like HGH and testosterone.  You can't take that stuff in pill form, obviously, but there's nothing illegal or morally wrong about promoting your body's production of that stuff via the gym.

But, unlike some, I really don't care if I progress in what I lift - I'm fine with plateauing in that gym.  (as opposed to my running, where I want to PR).  This means that I'm not really serving two masters in the same way that someone else might.

I think it's not that hard to combine running and lifting.  I think it's very hard to continuously improve in both.

Your lifting is to enhance your running, nothing wrong with that. Lifting can be view for some as just another tool in the tool box; a training device.

As for increasing your HGH and Testosterone; that's not really going to happen. Hard training can actually slightly decrease your Total Testosterone. Other supplements like those "Test Boosters" are junk.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

i lift for strength and still hope to gain a few more pounds of muscle.

I run because i like going out in the woods s for 1 to 2 hours

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes