Here we go....Training officially starts in one week!!! (Read 551 times)

mark-bixler

Goal race: Yuengling Shamrock Sportsfest Marathon March 22, 2009 Virginia Beach VA This will be marathon number 2. The first was 2007 Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte. Finished in 3:53.57. Miserable experience. Pain...Nausea...Vomit... I am doing Pfitz's 24/55 plan with hopes of being stronger endurance wise. Joined a gym and hope to incorporate strength trsaining in hopes of avoiding injury since training will be pretty intense. The only thing is, I am a nervous wreck. I keep thinking, what if my IT Band screws up again? What if I get sick and miss 1-2 weeks of training? What if I get sick days before the race? What if I can't handle the training? Why am I a bag of nerves? I think of the quote: "You have to forget your first marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming." I have tried to do this but, my gosh. It's not a matter of lack of motivation. I want to do this. And I want to do it well. I want to cross the line and give that other marathon the finger (in my mind of course) and actually be able to enjoy the experience. So, why am I dreading it? Yeah, I know, a basketcase before training even starts. this is gonna be real fun.

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

"The question should be, is it worth trying to do, not can it be done." ~Allard Lowenstein Motivation is half the battle, sounds like your first effort is providing plenty of it. Your second is bound to be a more enjoyable experience, best of luck to you.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JakeKnight

Relax. Enjoy the running. You're going to stress yourself into all the stuff you're stressing about. If you miss a week of training, you'll live. (You might even unexpectedly run faster). If you get sick, you'll survive. You already know you can handle the training, since you've done it before. It's supposed to be fun. Are you running a few shorter races during your training? That might help chill you out and remind you why you're doing what you're doing. Forgetting all that and getting the only important question: are they giving out free Yuengling at this thing?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

Your training log looks great: stay that consistent between now and March, ease up those miles, and you will blow away that time and be smiling when you hit the line. Good luck!
          mark-bixler

Relax. Enjoy the running. You're going to stress yourself into all the stuff you're stressing about. If you miss a week of training, you'll live. (You might even unexpectedly run faster). If you get sick, you'll survive. You already know you can handle the training, since you've done it before. It's supposed to be fun. Are you running a few shorter races during your training? That might help chill you out and remind you why you're doing what you're doing. Forgetting all that and getting the only important question: are they giving out free Yuengling at this thing?
            Yes, free Yuengling at the end. I think each runner gets up to 3 or 4 even. Shame I don't drink....

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

Your mileage looks pretty good......NO DOUBT you can do it....... You should be nervous - its a tough thing.........thats why everyone doesn't/cant do it... GOOD JOB - and keep us posted on your success...... I know that in about 2 weeks, I start training (officially - that means I tell my family im gonna do it) for the BayState marathon (2009)....so I kind of know how you feel.....I will give myself one year to get ready and get thru it.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

JakeKnight

Yes, free Yuengling at the end. I think each runner gets up to 3 or 4 even. Shame I don't drink....
                A shame indeed. Does that mean if I come do it, I can have yours, too? I need Virginia. I need beer. And I like watching people vomit. It's like the planets are aligning or something.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

mark-bixler

A shame indeed. Does that mean if I come do it, I can have yours, too? I need Virginia. I need beer. And I like watching people vomit. It's like the planets are aligning or something.
                  I was gonna say, if you're in the neighborhood you can have my beer. Who knows, maybe you can have my beer AND watch me vomit....That would be something way beyond just a simple alignment of the planets....

Now finish it.

Bixler, you aren't an ex-Navy guy are you? Pretty sure I used to know a sub guy by your name. Just checking. Smile
                    Run like you stole something.