What is your morning run routine? (Read 1412 times)

I just get out of bed at 4 am, get my gear on while drinking water and then head out the door for my run about 4.15. I don't eat before my run.

Imminent Catastrophe

Coffee. Must...have...coffee. Sleepy

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Coffee. Must...have...coffee. Sleepy
        Full coffee mug good... Empty coffee mug bad...
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

New Runner

Yoga, juice, run.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wake up, glass of water, get dressed, make futile attempt to take care of bathroom business, out the door within 10 minutes after wake-up, unless didn't put my stuff out the night before and can't find it. For me the big problem with morning running is the whole bathroom thing. Seems my bowels tend to wake up about 20~30 minutes after I do, and running is their alarm clock. I could sit around and drink coffee or something, but I don't have that much time. So in the morning, I run with the expectation that I will probably s**t myself and plan accordingly -- my waistpack contains, toilet paper, rubber gloves, and a zip-lock bag. I'm lucky in that my morning run takes place on a seldom-used one lane dirt road through the woods. Convenient, because I can pretty much drop trou and blow mud whenever the need arises. And no, the zip-lock is not for my crap. If a deer can s**t in the woods, so can I. I just bag up the TP so that I don't litter. Smile MTA: biggest problem with running first thing in the morning is that the whole rest of the day is downhill from there. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Wake up, glass of water, get dressed, make futile attempt to take care of bathroom business, out the door within 10 minutes after wake-up, unless didn't put my stuff out the night before and can't find it. For me the big problem with morning running is the whole bathroom thing. Seems my bowels tend to wake up about 20~30 minutes after I do, and running is their alarm clock. I could sit around and drink coffee or something, but I don't have that much time. So in the morning, I run with the expectation that I will probably s**t myself and plan accordingly -- my waistpack contains, toilet paper, rubber gloves, and a zip-lock bag. I'm lucky in that my morning run takes place on a seldom-used one lane dirt road through the woods. Convenient, because I can pretty much drop trou and blow mud whenever the need arises. And no, the zip-lock is not for my crap. If a deer can s**t in the woods, so can I. I just bag up the TP so that I don't litter. Smile
              Jeff - some would say that's TMI. I think it's funny. I did want to tell you that in my marathon last weekend - on your advice - I tucked some TP into a ziplock into my pocket. Let's just say that I was concerned about the big-D (and I'm not talking about Dallas). Fortunately, I did not need it. My wife, kids, and mother-in-law all got a good laugh. Just wanted to let you know. It did give me a bit of piece of mind in case anything happened. I may do it again next time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Helpful Tip: Wear your running clothes to sleep and keep socks and shoes by your bed. Get your lazy butt up and start running. Running in the morning wakes me up. It also prepares me for the day. It starts my day off on a great note. Have Fun. P.S. Like you othe guys, I usually don't eat before I run. I truly believe that this is why I don't get as many cramps and pains.
                jcasetnl

My morning routine is to wake up to the alarm clock thinking I'm going for a run. Then I come to my senses and go back to bed, or make a cup of coffee, which I sip in bed.
                    For me the big problem with morning running is the whole bathroom thing. Seems my bowels tend to wake up about 20~30 minutes after I do, and running is their alarm clock. I could sit around and drink coffee or something, but I don't have that much time. So in the morning, I run with the expectation that I will probably s**t myself and plan accordingly -- my waistpack contains, toilet paper, rubber gloves, and a zip-lock bag
                    That may be TMI, but I feel your pain....I've had that happen before....5 miles into a 7 mile morning run I had to stop and walk 'cause it hurt so bad....THEN I couldn't even walk so I had to duck behind a tree and go all "caveman"....Good thing it was still early, the only person who "caught" me was some old woman walking her dogs....Let's just say that I picked up my pace when I was done so she wouldn't see how red I was... Shocked
                    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                      The first time was definately the hardest time for me to run, but after I started making it routine it got a lot easier. Putting the alarm across the room never worked for me, I'd get up and turn it off and then go back to bed. I wake up, put in contacts. Shoes, gear, and out the door. I don't eat or drink before I run in the morning. Once I get out the door I walk a brisk 50 yards to my starting position, Then I go. This walk seems to get my body thinking, O.k. its time to go.
                        Like several other posters on here, I just get up and go. If I don't, I'll camp out on the computer in front of the TV. If I eat anything before hand, it is something that will sit easy on the stomach, usually a Slim Fast shake or banana.
                          I just get out of bed at 4 am, get my gear on while drinking water and then head out the door for my run about 4.15. I don't eat before my run.
                          4 AM? You're a better man than I Gunga Din. I'm not sure my heart's even beating at 4 AM. If I'm going to run in the dark I'll do it at night. On work days I leave the house by 6:30. My morning run routine consists of rolling over in bed, looking at the clock & thinking "Thank God I'm not a morning runner." The exception is Tuesday is usually my day off. I get up at 6. Make coffee & breakfast for wife & daughter, spend some quality time reading in the "room of contemplation", throw down the java & a light breakfast, wave goodbye to the family as they head off to work & school, & then by 7 AM I drive to one of my local forests for a trail run.
                            I have always had a difficult time with morning runs too, even though I get out of bed easily in the mornings. I've been told that struggling with morning workouts can be due to lower blood pressure, lower body temp and other physiological factors upon waking up. My college track coach insisted that it took one's body at least 4 hours to fully 'wake up' so that you could perform at your peak ability...which unfortunately meant a 4:30 or 5 am wake up call!
                              I have always been an evening runner. It kinda suited my school timetable as well. (school starts at 8am, ends at 2-4pm. Enough time to eat and rest before training.) But when the timetable changed (it now starts at 11am, ends at 7pm ish), I had to shift my training to the morning. And god!! The first few sessions were a nightmare! Woke up at 5am. Daydreamed a little. Downed some bread and water. Put on my shoes and went out by 5:30. I felt like a zombie on the trail. I felt very weak and my muscles ached more. But after 2 weeks, all was well. Now i can run well both in the day and in the evenings =)
                              J.Isaac

I am kind of new here... I've been reading this thread and for a reason no one seems to mention anything related with stretching or warm up excercises. Aren't those somehow important?. As I said, I am kind of new here (Actually just walking right now), and I'd like to know if stretching is important.