2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

I ran 2:55:55 in Houston

bhearn

bhearn -- 15JAN2012 -- Chevron Houston (Houston TX) -- Goal = sub-2:58:41.  RESULT = 3:09:01

Hey now -- I specifically asked for Houston to be removed from the list for me! It was a training run.

DoppleBock

I always have had mixed feelings about this - Once a goal is stated - If we keep the goal ~ people realize that not all original goals are acheivable.  My stated goal was for sub 3 - My actual race goal was < 3:20 for obvious reasons.  I did not change it ~

But on the other hand ~ Not changing original goals really does not give a good analysis of race day goal versus performance.

BTW - My 3:15:35 was an all out endevor ~ I am just that out of shape. 

Hey now -- I specifically asked for Houston to be removed from the list for me! It was a training run.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

and that's all just part of what makes that sub 3:00 so elusive for some of us.

Get off my porch

My goal for Boston 2012 is 2:55!  That will be my first sub 3,  current PR is 3:00:52 Philly '10.   I am well into my Boston training program and so far things are going well.  I am hoping for a great day in April :-) 

Chris

• 2009 - Twin Cities Marathon 3:03
              • 2010 - Fargo Marathon 3:00:31 (Sooo...close)
              • 2010 - Twin Cities 3:01 (really? such a tease)
              • 2011 - Twin Cities 3:09 - I'm just as happy with this time as with the 3:00:31.  The year of challenges and I pulled this time off when I was expecting 3:30.

Elusive is right, but I'm keeping it as a goal.  I know where you are 3:00 and one day we will meet again (I ran sub 3:00 a long time ago) 

I'll be the one with the big a$$ smile grabbing my finishers medal before you knew what happened  Big grin

Update - No FARGO.  Update to Grandma's in June...need more time to train.  

Carry on and Congrats to Houston runners! 

and that's all just part of what makes that sub 3:00 so elusive for some of us.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

• 2009 - Twin Cities Marathon 3:03
                • 2010 - Fargo Marathon 3:00:31 (Sooo...close)
                • 2010 - Twin Cities 3:01 (really? such a tease)
                • 2011 - Twin Cities 3:09 - I'm just as happy with this time as with the 3:00:31.  The year of challenges and I pulled this time off when I was expecting 3:30.

Elusive is right, but I'm keeping it as a goal.  I know where you are 3:00 and one day we will meet again (I ran sub 3:00 a long time ago) 

I'll be the one with the big a$$ smile grabbing my finishers medal before you knew what happened  Big grin

Update - No FARGO.  Update to Grandma's in June...need more time to train.  

Carry on and Congrats to Houston runners! 

I can attest to how close Willie was at Fargo in 2010.  I just barely squeaked in under 3:00, turned around after the finish inside the Fargo Dome and saw her motoring to the finish.  2012 is the year of sub-3:00 for you Willie!!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                The days of my youth are far behind
                My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                Can't hear one-half that's being said
                And this is the message I want you to get
                I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

dpschumacher

Have a great Ice-Breaker!

This race is suprisingly easy to run in cicles ~ Just rember this race works because the slow give way to the fast ~ If you are the fastest thing out there you need to call out "Track" alot and keep the inside lane to yourself.  Of course be tolerant, sometimes you will have to slow down as clumps of people happen.

Just stay smooth ~ enjoy the perfect weather of the ice center!

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Thanks.  I'm super pumped.  Been trying to slow the adrenaline for the last two days.  I keep getting wound up at random times.  My wife is coming with me to watch with a college friend of ours.  My aunt and cousin are coming too.  I got my own cheering section.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

2:53:20 give or take was my time.

Quick race summary. It was on an indoor 450m or so track. It was 95 laps. I ran until about the 17 mile mark at a 6:20 pace (2:45 marathon). I started to slow down as most of the other people on the track (all 117) of them started get harder to run around. There was two lanes on the track and slower people stayed in the outside lane and faster people would pass on the inside line. So I ran the whole race on the inside lane. As people started hitting their half way point (around when I was hitting mile 17) they would run in the inside land because it was shorter until someone would come up to pass them. So i started to have to wait a second or two here or there twice or three times a lap as I passed them. I'm really gearing up for Grandma's where I want to go between 2:40 to 2:45. I was tired at the end of the marathon but not overly so. I can't use it for a Boston entry, so mostly I wanted to see were I was at fitness wise and get a little more experience. I jogged 7 miles today with only minor soreness so that is good. I think i could have gone 2:45-7 if i had truly gone all out, but I started to get sick of running the laps and I wanted to stay healthy and able to keep getting in miles.  I am disappointed and frustrated that I didn't go sub 2:50...and to be honest the people getting in the way was a problem, but it was mostly me wimping out because I got in my own head too much about keeping healthy and being able to keep getting in miles for Grandma's and the Twin Cities this fall.  I knew that running laps was going to mentally tough, but I thought I would handle it better than I did.  It really was mind numbing to a level I didn't expect.  All in all I was 8 for happiness on a scale of 1 to 10.  

PS I took 3rd place and got a nice little award.

Official time will be coming shortly.  This was my first ( of many hopefully!!) sub 3 marathon and my second attempt at the marathon.  Learned a lot more about running the race and ready for two more this year!

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Well my "Fastest Time In Thread" lasted a week.Thanks. Wink

I ran 3 miles last week.

I've already ran 3.667x that this week.

I guess that happens when its 12 weeks until Boston.

HermosaBoy

hermosaboy – 19May2012 –  Fargo Marathon (Fargo, ND) -- Goal = sub-2:40.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

I have run 2 fulls and a 1/2 there are your summation is right - Although in the past they allowed 100 entries and usually 80 showed up, so It might have been worse this year.  For me - Understanding how many people are trying to race in a small space, it orchestrated out pretty good - but does constantly affect you.

I will be getting drunk at Grandmas ... Not sure if I am running at all 

I am disappointed and frustrated that I didn't go sub 2:50...and to be honest the people getting in the way was a problem, but it was mostly me wimping out because I got in my own head too much about keeping healthy and being able to keep getting in miles for Grandma's and the Twin Cities this fall.  I knew that running laps was going to mentally tough, but I thought I would handle it better than I did.  It really was mind numbing to a level I didn't expect.  All in all I was 8 for happiness on a scale of 1 to 10.  

PS I took 3rd place and got a nice little award.

Official time will be coming shortly.  This was my first ( of many hopefully!!) sub 3 marathon and my second attempt at the marathon.  Learned a lot more about running the race and ready for two more this year!

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I have run 2 fulls and a 1/2 there are your summation is right - Although in the past they allowed 100 entries and usually 80 showed up, so It might have been worse this year.  For me - Understanding how many people are trying to race in a small space, it orchestrated out pretty good - but does constantly affect you.

I will be getting drunk at Grandmas ... Not sure if I am running at all 

Agreed with the assessement.  We will have to meet up @ Grandma's post race.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DoppleBock

Icebreaker Indoor Marathon - Jan 22 - Milwaukee, WI
                                Mac McCulley, 27 of Volo IL, won the 2012 IceBreaker Indoor Marathon in 2:39:27. Matthew Jeromin, 31 of Roselle IL, who was third in 2011, finished second in 2:44:29. Daniel Lauer-Schuma, 27 of Shorview MN, was third in 2:53:20.

Still a podium ~

I am thinking about the 1/2 at Grandmas ... But its a lottery to get in ~ I have no desire to run the full.  If I run the half I may be half in the bag before you finish.