2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

DoppleBock

I have a lot going on the next couple of days - So I will say right now - Go get 'em ~ stay smooth! 

Not familiar at all.  I have some friends that ran it last year and they told me about the water stops.  If the weather was looking warmer or more humid I'd be concerned and might have considered running with a handheld bottle, but if the weather forecast holds I think I should be fine with that setup.  More than anything I'm just hoping it doesn't rain a lot leading up to the race as that could make the trail softer than I'd like it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Good luck Bhearn and Don S!

Bhearn - I agree with Don why not race, especially if you are now putting in big mileage for WS100 your recovery times should be faster.  Plus racing hard on a challenging course should at least help mentally prepare you for racing WS100 hard.  Besides, if you are going to post it in the sub 3 thread it means you are going for sub 3.Big grin

bhearn

Heh. I am racing it, but I think 3:05 is about the fastest I dare pace for. 

I wish I were putting in big mileage for WS100. Long taper for Boston, after I beat myself up at Chuckanut 50K, plus two weeks of light mileage since then. After Big Sur, I'll ramp the miles back up again.

DoppleBock

Don S – 28APR2012 – Pine Line Trail (Medford WI)

daubenspeck – 29APR2012 – Eugene (Eugene OR)

++++++++++++++++++++ NEXT UP ++++++++++++++++++++

el_jeffe – 06MAY2012 – BMO Vancouver (Vancouver BC, CA)

DanMoriarity – 06MAY2011 – Goodlife Fitness Toronto (Toronto CA)

daveloud -- 06MAY2012 -- OC (Newport Beach CA)

Well now gentlemen ~ How are we feeling?

In WI ~ its wonderful to have racing season upon us!

tenacity

Don S – 28APR2012 – Pine Line Trail (Medford WI)

daubenspeck – 29APR2012 – Eugene (Eugene OR)

++++++++++++++++++++ NEXT UP ++++++++++++++++++++

el_jeffe – 06MAY2012 – BMO Vancouver (Vancouver BC, CA)

DanMoriarity – 06MAY2011 – Goodlife Fitness Toronto (Toronto CA)

daveloud -- 06MAY2012 -- OC (Newport Beach CA)

Well now gentlemen ~ How are we feeling?

In WI ~ its wonderful to have racing season upon us!

My buildup has been inconsistent and spotty. Quite a bit of moderate effort training but no volume... VLM (Very Low Mileage) with no months over 200, My longer runs have been pretty painful,  but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Weather forecast looks o.k. - mid to upper 60's. The course looks easy.

A 37:17 10k kind of disappointed me last week. My marathon PR is a 2:59:50 (Portland, Or), and I ran 3:00:33 at Boston last year before taking a long break until this January. I'll be looking to get a PR in Eugene. I'm relatively healthy, and not too beat up.

I think it's a go Smile

DoppleBock

You never know - My 1st sub 3 was after a great build up of training and speed work = 2:56:10 (Oct)

The next marathon we had moved and I had taken a chunk of time off and liked out of a hotel with my family for 2+ months.  I ran what I could before work and that was it.  I never did much for speed work other than running a fast finish when I felt like it.

May ~ 2:56:09

I think it gets easier once your body / mind understands how to do it.

tenacity

You never know - My 1st sub 3 was after a great build up of training and speed work = 2:56:10 (Oct)

The next marathon we had moved and I had taken a chunk of time off and liked out of a hotel with my family for 2+ months.  I ran what I could before work and that was it.  I never did much for speed work other than running a fast finish when I felt like it.

May ~ 2:56:09

I think it gets easier once your body / mind understands how to do it.

I wish I could put in the big miles, but have had to do some balancing with work and family this time around, so I've just been cramming runs in where I can.

I'm really impressed with your last marathon after those big weeks you put in (and I'm a heck of a lot lighter than you!). Awesome job DB, and can't wait to see how FANS goes.

I, like bhearn, have the great opportunity to run WS100 this year, so after Eugene, it's all about trails, hills, and distance.

I might be single, homeless and jobless afterward. hope not.Joking

DoppleBock

Sleet, snow, rain and cold ~ Don how did you survive?

tenacity

2:52:18, I think. We had excellent weather and a fast course. Think I fell off a bit the last couple miles. Will have to review that later. Think I missed the stop button at the finish. Very happy with my run today.
                    DoppleBock

great race

2:52:18, I think. We had excellent weather and a fast course. Think I fell off a bit the last couple miles. Will have to review that later. Think I missed the stop button at the finish. Very happy with my run today.

Nice!

Feeling the growl again

Very nice run!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tenacity

Thank you for the positive comments. It means a lot to me coming from you guys. You've all taught me so much. The course was very kind to us today, and I think my new shoes really helped, as well -

shoes

Very nice indeed, great run daubenspeck!

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Sleet, snow, rain and cold ~ Don how did you survive?

I barely held on to sub-3:00.  2:57:25 finish time but hit the half at a 2:43 pace.  Major league bonk just after mile 17.  Didn't feel good to do that again (NYC in November was much the same).  Weather actually was pretty much ideal.  No rain or sleet, just overcast, cool and a slight crosswind from the east.  No excuses, just a failure to pace properly early and I paid for it late in the race.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                                The days of my youth are far behind
                                My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                                Can't hear one-half that's being said
                                And this is the message I want you to get
                                I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.