2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Let's try again...

Name

Distance

Race

Goal

Result

Comments

Fa C Shus

May 5th - Wisconsin Marathon

<3:00

Boston redemption race

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

bhearn

2:52:18, I think. We had excellent weather and a fast course. Think I fell off a bit the last couple miles. Will have to review that later. Think I missed the stop button at the finish. Very happy with my run today.

Awesome result, Gary! Very inspiring.

Big Sur turned into a 3:12 for me, but I'm OK with that. Tough day, strong headwind. I still haven't figured out how to pace Big Sur ideally, but I don't think I did anything really wrong. 26-minute course PR!

I'm thinking CIM for my next sub-3 attempt.

HermosaBoy

Awesome result, Gary! Very inspiring.

Big Sur turned into a 3:12 for me, but I'm OK with that. Tough day, strong headwind. I still haven't figured out how to face Big Sur ideally, but I don't think I did anything really wrong. 26-minute course PR!

I'm thinking CIM for my next sub-3 attempt.

Sounds like a solid effort!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Fa C Shus – 05MAY2012 – Wisconsin (Kenosha WI)

2:51:21

What in the Jehu?

bhearn

Way to go, Pauly! Finally got that monkey off your back.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Way to go, Pauly! Finally got that monkey off your back.

Time to find a new monkey and within 5 mins of the finish I interviewed 3 of em.

Thanks Sr. Hearn

What in the Jehu?

tenacity

Time to find a new monkey and within 5 mins of the finish I interviewed 3 of em.

Thanks Sr. Hearn

Bravo! Smokin.

I guess it's time to reenter the list after a disappointing race in Italy this past January...my fault for (a) not training all winter and (b) drinking too much wine while touring the country for 2 weeks before the race.

Right now I figure I'm about in 3:20-3:30 shape but I'll commit to sub 3 at Cape Cod on 27/10/12 (it's a USATF New England Grand Prix race so I owe my club a good result anyway).

kcam

I must say people on this thread are ROCKING the sub 3!  A few years ago we were all just barely sneaking in under 3, I think the quality of runner on this thread has been upgraded.  Way to go guys.

spinach

Well, I am up next and I hope I can keep up with the others so far.  I do feel I am over my hamstring injury that messed up all of last year.  In the last three saturdays I have run my fastest half marathon, 10k, and 5k in last five years.  So my speed seems to have come back but I am still concerned.  I haven't run a marathon since last July, its been a long time. 

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Well, I am up next and I hope I can keep up with the others so far.  I do feel I am over my hamstring injury that messed up all of last year.  In the last three saturdays I have run my fastest half marathon, 10k, and 5k in last five years.  So my speed seems to have come back but I am still concerned.  I haven't run a marathon since last July, its been a long time. 

I'll be at Wobegon pacing a friend to her BQ.  I'll track you down before the race and if you're up for hanging out after the race there's a bunch of us nitwits from Mpls that will be there after the race.  The weather looks very promising so far.  Best wishes with the rest of your taper.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                        The days of my youth are far behind
                        My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                        Can't hear one-half that's being said
                        And this is the message I want you to get
                        I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

spinach

Yesterday wasn't my day.  My hamstring started acting up about 5 miles into the race and by the 7 mile mark I was unable to run on it. So it was marathon day.   I don't know what happened, my hamstring has been tight occasionally the past few months but I thought the problem was over as it hadn't affected my running this year.  But I guess I am not over the problems I had with it last year.  Perhaps I will be able to run a sub three race sometime but I won't be aiming for it anymore.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Yesterday wasn't my day.  My hamstring started acting up about 5 miles into the race and by the 7 mile mark I was unable to run on it. So it was marathon day.   I don't know what happened, my hamstring has been tight occasionally the past few months but I thought the problem was over as it hadn't affected my running this year.  But I guess I am not over the problems I had with it last year.  Perhaps I will be able to run a sub three race sometime but I won't be aiming for it anymore.

Damn, sorry to hear about that.  I looked for your name in the race results and when I didn't see you listed I feared something had happened. Don't know what more to say other than it does suck.  You rocked those half marathons leading up to this race, so I thought for sure I'd see your name and time starting with a "2" in the results.  Head up, and keep training man!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                            The days of my youth are far behind
                            My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                            Can't hear one-half that's being said
                            And this is the message I want you to get
                            I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

Sorry about the Hamstring ~ Odd that it was so angry ... I guess we will call it a taper gremlin.  I am fearful on mine - It has been acting nice for the last 4 weeks.  I am doing lots of stretching and leg weights 2x a week.  I sure hope the gremlins stay out on Lake Nokomis June 2-3. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

Thanks, I really don't know what is going on.  It hurt like hell on Sunday but yesterday and today my leg feels fine.  I will give it a few more days rest before I try to run on it.  I had planned on running MedCity but I will skip that one.  I still have three or four more marathons planned for the summer.  It is always good to have  back up marathons in case the first one does not go right.  I first broke three in a back up, San Francisco in 2009 after the horrible conditions we had at Grandma's that year.