2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

DoppleBock

Then we met at Paavo shortly after that.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

I can't run Paavo this year. Unfortunately I am not free that weekend.  I may be running a couple other Wisconsin marathons this summer however.   I was planning on running the new marathon in Manitowok in June, but I will wait to see if my leg is okay.  I will also run the marathon in Wausau in August. 

DoppleBock

???

Wausau in August. 

DoppleBock

I found the Wausau race - I have a goal race 2 weeks from then - So I cannot race it ... But I might run it, just because it is the town I grew up near.  I do laugh that they say you have mountain views ~ There are no mountains in WI ~ even if we call the hill a mountain

jjameson

Green Bay Marathon closed the course today at 2:25 due to heat.  Glad I didn't do it!

HermosaBoy

As already posted, I had a less than stellar performance yesterday at Fargo.  Not sure what the deal was, but got sabotaged right off the bat by the race starting 90 seconds early -- before I was in the corral.

After that, I just couldn't get into a groove and my mind screwed me up.  Was going to drop @ 18, but the medical tent told me I had to walk a mile to a relay location and then stand around and wait.  Figured I could run back sooner than that.

Oh well...

On the plus side, a good friend of mine got her first BQ.  The smile on her face at mile 26 was worth the trip to Fargo.  Oh yeah, and seeing her husband sing Dirty Water for her at a Karaoke bar -- priceless!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SMART Approach

Green Bay Marathon closed the course today at 2:25 due to heat.  Glad I didn't do it!

It was a bitch! I did the half and lost probably 8 lbs of water in race drinking at every station.  I drank 32 oz plus after race and got home still 4 lbs down. Every ambulance in city and surrounding areas was used. Had to call it!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

DoppleBock

Green Bay - I am confused why they list any runner after a 2:35 finish as the course was closed - Basically there are is women's winner and no cash should be paid out.  I know of at least 1 lady that would have run sub 3 that was pulled from course and yet there is a 3:24 listed as 5th place. 

Men's 5th @ 2:36 should also be eliminated.  Sean Ryan just needs to be consistent in his application of the rule.

There are a few things that I though were less than right out there.  The 1/2 couse had a 200 foot jaunt down a street and then 180 degreed back to get mileage right @ mile 12-12.5 ... I really think he could have planned that better. 

I like Sean and have supported GB Marathon and Fall 50 ... I think this could have been handled differently ~ knowing people would continue anyway after the course was closed - Tearing down the mile 23 and beyond water stops seemed wrong.

Of course this is Monday morning QB ... Sorry to all the runners that lost out.

Green Bay - I am confused why they list any runner after a 2:35 finish as the course was closed - Basically there are is women's winner and no cash should be paid out.  I know of at least 1 lady that would have run sub 3 that was pulled from course and yet there is a 3:24 listed as 5th place. 

Men's 5th @ 2:36 should also be eliminated.  Sean Ryan just needs to be consistent in his application of the rule.

+1.  It'd be one thing if fast runners dropped out voluntarily, but that sounds completely unfair.

How does a sub-3 runner get pulled, yet a 3:24 finishes?  Severe slowdown for the latter?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I had a pipe dream of running 3:00 on my first marathon yesterday in Pocono.  That didn't quite work out for me.  The hills from 19-21 just crushed me, along with the 87 degrees by the finish of my race.  I did manage a 3:09:46 which is just barely a BQ for me.  I was happy with that.

I don't often post on here, but I got alot of good advice from reading the posts on this site.  Thanks to all the more experienced runners that share their input on this site.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Very impressive.  Congratulations!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

It was a bitch! I did the half and lost probably 8 lbs of water in race drinking at every station.  I drank 32 oz plus after race and got home still 4 lbs down. Every ambulance in city and surrounding areas was used. Had to call it!!!

It was 70 at the start and 80-85 when they pulled the plug.  Which describes the weather at at least 50 marathons+ultras I've run.

There is mixed information floating around re: whether the EMT resources really were all engaged or if they thought that might happen and chose to cancel before things got out of control.

I wasn't there.  And I won't come back to Wisconsin, Indiana, or perhaps Illinois to run another non-ultra between May and October. Ever. I think it was an overreaction to close it when they did... but that's their call. It is my call not to blow $500+ travel on a race in a region that is developing quite the reputation for shutting down races.

The listing of top 5 male/female is quite the puzzler as well.

The medical dude who worked with the RD in GB and helped make the call was also part of the Chicago 2007 madness.  I'm sure that informs his decisions.

This slow person will now get out of your thread.

It was 70 at the start and 80-85 when they pulled the plug.  Which describes the weather at at least 50 marathons+ultras I've run.

There is mixed information floating around re: whether the EMT resources really were all engaged or if they thought that might happen and chose to cancel before things got out of control.

I wasn't there.  And I won't come back to Wisconsin, Indiana, or perhaps Illinois to run another non-ultra between May and October. Ever. I think it was an overreaction to close it when they did... but that's their call. It is my call not to blow $500+ travel on a race in a region that is developing quite the reputation for shutting down races.

The listing of top 5 male/female is quite the puzzler as well.

The medical dude who worked with the RD in GB and helped make the call was also part of the Chicago 2007 madness.  I'm sure that informs his decisions.

This slow person will now get out of your thread.

If Fox Cities shuts down this year, I'm blaming you for jinxing it--not the Calf Bandit.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xor

Hey, Fox Cities was the original race I remember getting shut down mid-race due to heat. 2006, before the Chicago debacle.

Also, I lied. The medical director for GB was not from Chicago... he was from Twin Cities 2007, which also had issues.  But he constantly refers to the Chicago nastiness.

DoppleBock

Fox Cities was not shut down in 2006 ~ I ran my PR that year.

I do believe 2007 was shut down for severe weather ~

Hey, Fox Cities was the original race I remember getting shut down mid-race due to heat. 2006, before the Chicago debacle.

Also, I lied. The medical director for GB was not from Chicago... he was from Twin Cities 2007, which also had issues.  But he constantly refers to the Chicago nastiness.