2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Leopard

Fantastic race Joe!  Congrats!

SUCCESS at Bayshore Marathon, Traverse City, MI  2:58:55

Wasn't sure I was even going to go for it until the start.  Ideal conditions:  55-60 degrees, no wind, overcast, flat course.  Drafted off several groups for the first half which and kept an average 6:42 pace until mile 17, then started to slow a little.  Real struggle the last five miles with several miles at 7:00 to 7:10.

First half around 1:28, second half around 1:31.

Joe

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

jjameson

Who's doing Grandmas?  How is the training going?  Long range forecast doesn't look too aweful but it is still a week away.

HermosaBoy

Who's doing Grandmas?  How is the training going?  Long range forecast doesn't look too aweful but it is still a week away.

I will be there pacing a friend...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

A poster in this thread is currently 62+ miles into Western States.

Ok then.

an amazing likeness

A poster in this thread is currently 62+ miles into Western States.

Ok then.

As they say in Freemantle, the Dr is in.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hi Clive,

Can you put me down for another go this Autumn at the Chester Marathon UK.  Sub 2:50 is the goal.  Congrats to all the sub 3'ers so far this year.

As I approach a half century on this rock hurtling through space, my window of opportunity is probably closing pretty quickly.  I'm hoping to give it a go at Steamtown on October 7th.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Not the way your running Badawg, it'll just be how much you go under...

Mine is also on the 7th of October so we'll have a virtual showdown across the Atlantic.....

Not the way your running Badawg, it'll just be how much you go under...

Mine is also on the 7th of October so we'll have a virtual showdown across the Atlantic.....

Sounds good to me my friend!  I was hobbling my way through the early miles of the Sugarloaf Marathon in May, and had arrived at just about the halfway point.  A guy points to me and says "you're the eighth runner, you're number eight!"  I had almost dropped at mile 8, but had decided to just try to get as many mile markers as I could.  Now my thoughts turned from "next mile marker" and "just finish" to "f*ck me, now I have to run."

Great twist of fate, without that guy giving me my place I would have let everybody pass me that wanted to.  Wound up hobbling and struggling and pushing to a 3:01:32 and held eighth place.  The tendonitis has subsided and (knock wood) I'm feeling pretty healthy.  If I can stay that way, I should have a good chance of getting under 3:00 for the second time.  But there's a long way to go, and when your eggs are in one basket a lot of strange things can happen.

103 days, 19 hours, and 50 minutes to go.  : )

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Feeling the growl again

As I approach a half century on this rock hurtling through space, my window of opportunity is probably closing pretty quickly.  I'm hoping to give it a go at Steamtown on October 7th.

Oh my. 

Ever run it?  I hope you beat your quads with rocks on a regular basis... Wink  Those first 7 miles are....unique.  I've never run anything quite like that.  If you can train yourself to save your quads as you hurtle down those obscene hills I'm sure it can set you up for a quick time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh my. 

Ever run it?  I hope you beat your quads with rocks on a regular basis... Wink  Those first 7 miles are....unique.  I've never run anything quite like that.  If you can train yourself to save your quads as you hurtle down those obscene hills I'm sure it can set you up for a quick time.

We have a number of Angry Chickens heading for Scranton, and I remember your training recommendation and shared them with the merry crew.  I believe it was something along the lines of "fill a pillowcase with rocks and beat your quads with them."

Sounds fun.  Smile

E.J.

Are we there yet?

November 3, Monumental Marathon, Indy 

October 14th - Masterton Marathon, NZ

I have really very little chance indeed of a sub3 but I'm still training to get there one day so I may as well be on the list. 

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Sign me up for Whistlestop Marathon on October 13th.  Hoping to finally crack that sub-2:45 riddle that has befuddled me for 3 consecutive marathons.  

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                              The days of my youth are far behind
                              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                              Can't hear one-half that's being said
                              And this is the message I want you to get
                              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Muebele

Seeing my name on the first page with a hugh failure, makes me put my name in again.  At Boston this year I missed the 3 hour mark by two.... hours.  So here is my plan for the rest of the year.  Sept 9th I am doing the Lehigh Valley Marathon to get my BQ for next year (3:10 needed) and then I will be going for a sub 3:00 at the Philadelphia Marathon on November 18, 2012.  So sign me up... again!