2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Has anyone found a good sub-3 training plan?

I am wondering how many miles per week, etc that you guy are doing in preparation for this.

--

Nashville, TN

I am wondering how many miles per week, etc that you guy are doing in preparation for this.

Just don't look at my log.....Shocked

13 weeks out and I'm not anywhere near what I thought I'd be....Sub 3 is still doable,  not so sure about that 2:55.

Some guys have had good success (provided they started with a good base) with the Pfitz 70 mpw plans.   

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Brad Hudson faster 5k-Marathon...I'm doing 70-100 miles per week.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Sub-3 plan. Pfitz - Advanced Marathoning 2nd edition. Pick a plan, probably the 12/55-70 at least....

NYC is $255, I've run it 3 times. I'll run it in 2012, and will probably keep running it if I continue to get the NYQ's (harder standards). Need to go sub-2:50 in Boston to do that for 2013.

It's also "local" for me, and I am a NYRR member (have to check when that membership runs out). So its about $35 cheaper for me. Cheaper than flying to a marathon somewhere else.

By comparison, Chicago is $150 and that comes with guaranteed summer weather.

I don't think I'm in 2:45 shape for Houston, it will be more of a game day decision. I am pleased where I am 15+ weeks out for Boston.

Thanks for the plan advice. I have read Advanced Marathoning, but forgot about the plans.

Put me down as a sub-3 goal for 2012.

--

Nashville, TN

I used Pfitz for my first 3 Marathons but have used Hudson for my last 3.  I am planning to use Hudson this time again.

DoppleBock

Houston fast approaches - I have not trained since November 10 or 11 - Just a few easy waddling miles here and there as I have ate and drank my way my way to 240#

Houston will be interesting - Maybe 3:30

I have decided I need a goal race to get refocussed - To try and be the best I can within my new selfimposed mileage limitations.  I am thinking about April - But not April 28th weekend - DD#2's 7th B-day.

I need to be 205# to take a crack at it with reduced mileage - I think that is doable if I can stop being a drunk'n Glutenous fool.  Maybe after tomorrow Smile

Good running to all!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I got my first sub-3 on the Pfitz 70MPW plan. Then I heavily modified it to something that would allow me to get in around 1 hour/day of training 4-5 days/week, 1-2 midweek long runs, and 1 weekend long run and still get up to 80MPW which has also resulted in sub-3 races.  

The main factor is where you are at from a performance perspective.  If you can't run a marathon at a 4:00 pace now chances are you have a lot of work to do vs if you can run a half marathon in 70 minutes, chances are you could run a sub 3:00 in your sleep...

bhearn

I used Pfitz 55-70 for my first sub-3, and 70-85 for my second one. Overall I've used Pfitz plans 10ish times, I think.

Geo Runner, how would you contrast Hudson vs. Pfitz? Have you had better results with Hudson?

bhearn

BTW it bears mentioning in this thread that Chuck "Marathon Junkie" Engle today ran his 5th sub-3 marathon... in 5 days. If you can believe it. He's at the Savage Seven, which is 7 marathons in 7 days. Sounds like he probably will not continue the streak tomorrow, but who knows. After yesterday he didn't sound optimistic about today.

BTW it bears mentioning in this thread that Chuck "Marathon Junkie" Engle today ran his 5th sub-3 marathon... in 5 days. If you can believe it. He's at the Savage Seven, which is 7 marathons in 7 days. Sounds like he probably will not continue the streak tomorrow, but who knows. After yesterday he didn't sound optimistic about today.

Impressive... and insane.  I'm just hoping to grow back my big toenail before my next one :-)

My sub 3 at Napa is toast.  I'm running only two days a week right now with pool running and biking the rest of the time.  The achilles healing is going SLOWLY.  No way I could get enough training in the next two months to even try a sub 3.  I'm still debating pacing a friend to his first marathon (3:30 pace), but I'm not sure I could do that pace right now.  Ugh.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I used Pfitz 55-70 for my first sub-3, and 70-85 for my second one. Overall I've used Pfitz plans 10ish times, I think.

Geo Runner, how would you contrast Hudson vs. Pfitz? Have you had better results with Hudson?

If you look at my training plan for the training plan for Milwaukee Indoor on my log...it is essentially Hudson's with a few edits to make it better for me.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

tenacity

Hi Clive & group,

Please put me down for sub-3  attempt at Eugene April 29th.

Much work to do. Been out gettin' heavy.

Thx

Right on Hereford...

Please put me down for Houston in 11 days, thanks!

Goal: 2:57:59

This has been my most slackerific training cycle yet. I started comparing my log vs. last year (Boston) and then decided that wasn't a good idea. I would rather think happy thoughts...