2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Eagerly awaiting the news of our Houston Marathoners.  Hope the race went for all of you.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

HermosaBoy

Eagerly awaiting the news of our Houston Marathoners.  Hope the race went for all of you.

Less than stellar. Tried to run in a shoe that just didn't have enough support. Great thru 10, then the legs told me that it was not going to happen. 20+ minute positive split. Oh well, still ran < 3:05. not bad for an old guy... 3:05.="" not="" bad="" for="" an="" old=""></ 3:05. not bad for an old guy...>

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

bhearn

My Houston went well, given that it was just a training run for Boston. Paced for 3:10, kicked in the last mile for 3:09.

Right on Hereford...

Had an amazing race, considering my preparation. Training had been seriously subpar. As little as 8 weeks ago I was doing inconsistent stuff like running 13 miles in a week. I got a new pr due to the flat course, excellent conditions, smart running (1+ minute negative split), and good nutrition/hydration. After this race it feels like I can run a lot faster if I train better. My running buddy Shawna killed it with a 2:47, faster than a bunch of women in the trials the day before. Good stuff. Bob, did you run with the 3:10 pacers, Tony and Chris? They were my roommates in Houston! Dcv, good seeing you there. You ran a strong race.

Nice running Houstoners!

Nice to see a PR Dakota and as you say, it sounds like there's more to come - I'm guessing you are doing an Autumn marathon, especially after this!

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Great job everyone.  I know training in the winter can be tough especially for those of you up North like me.  Feeling good going into my marathon.  Just 7 more days.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Ouch. I ran a 2:55 the hard way. Tried for 2:46 knew right away that wasn't going to happen. So a slow steady increase in pace from 6:20s to 6:30s to 6:50s. Course and concrete beat my legs up. 5 minute positive split. Just missed a BQ-20 for 2013.
                DoppleBock

240#

Limited running last 10 weeks

No speed last 10 weeks

Lots of booze and bad food last 10 weeks

Thought I would be between 3:20-3:30 at that weight and training load.  Stared with 3:30 group - Were I belonged.  Took 1:13 to reach start line and 1st mile was a congested 8:27.  I was really shocked at the poor water stop management of a lot of people - Grab your cup and come to a dead stop - Really people?  Legs were burning by mile #3 - I do not remember all those corners and little hills last time (2006 - 2:47). 

Finally passed a 9 year old girl @ mile 8 that was going the 1/2 marathon (1:41:54) - She passsed me back, but then I took the tiny thin - Under 4 foot tall.

Caught the 3:20 group @ mile 11 - Struggled to keep up - But then I decided I hate running in a pack - Hard to stride and relax - So I found myself in front of them after a water stop (Mile 15 or 16) then decided at 18 to stop being a wussy and ran as hard a I could - Finished the last 10K in 7:08 pace.

Yes I suck - 3:15:35 - But I ran a pretty good race for the crappy shape I was in and ran hard - I like the way it hurts.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Nice job to all kicking ass in Houston! 

I think I see easily a <2:55 in DakotaRR's future and DCV settling a  score with 2:45 in Boston.

kcam

Good job RA Houston crew!

I can see where one might have needed a more substantial shoe on this course.  I jogged the 1/2 marathon (running with family - we finished in 1:58:01) but it was concrete the entire way.  I ran in minimalist shoes I'm testing for Puma which was OK for the half but the marathon would have been a different story.  How's everyone recovering?

One week off for me. I'll probably gain ~10+ lbs from my weight last Thursday. Then I will probably jump into Pfitz 12-week for Boston. I will actually have 4 races before Boston instead of none before Houston to truly gauge where I am at.

25k on 3/4

4 miler on 3/17

Half training run on 3/25

10k at 4/1

I have a number that is a reach. Let's see if I can get there. First step is the 25k. I'd like to see if 6:10/mile is possible.

I give my race in Houston a B-. Not quite a BQ-20, but if a 2:55 is a bad day that's a good thing.

Houston pounds the crap out of your legs. Especially mile 20 in.

Was it all a dream?

Good job RA Houston crew!

I can see where one might have needed a more substantial shoe on this course.  I jogged the 1/2 marathon (running with family - we finished in 1:58:01) but it was concrete the entire way.  I ran in minimalist shoes I'm testing for Puma which was OK for the half but the marathon would have been a different story.  How's everyone recovering?

Yes, after seeing all the concrete on the course, I was glad to have switched to the HM.  Great day for a race though.  Also very cool to run on parts of the OTs course after spectating the day before.

I wish I ran the half, could have run a big PR probably.

DoppleBock

Concrete - I never notices the concrete ?   

Yes, after seeing all the concrete on the course, I was glad to have switched to the HM.  Great day for a race though.  Also very cool to run on parts of the OTs course after spectating the day before.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Did you notice the badly ripped, grooved up road in Mile 23 going up a hill that was slippery with Gatorade. Or the gigantic opossum that was roadkill right after the mile 17 marker?