Are you kidding me? What is this pain?! (Read 1256 times)

xor

Ah.  Didn't get that.  I was a Red Raider, so I don't understand the interworkings of the Aggie lingo.

I thought it might have been short for Whoopie (and how she might have hurt her calf ).

Well get your guns up.

Tech class of 88

A&M class of 91

Heh.

bhearn

Tech class of 88

A&M class of 91

Rice class of '87

Tech class of 94 (does Grad school count?)
        skitzo

I've had similar issues with my calf.  Both times I've either taken a week off or cut my mileage in half for a week and all was more or less better after the rest.  Good luck.
          Mariposai

Rest, rest and more rest. When in doubt rest again and then you will be just fine

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dgtray

[coded message]

WHOOP

[/coded]

I don't post much, but read often and have always enjoyed reading your posts. Now I know why...Gig 'em!

2012 Races: Galveston 2/5, St. Louis 4/15, Fort Collins 5/6, Woodrow Wilson Bridge Run 10/7

SMART Approach

Sounds to me like a calf strain. If so, then there will be a knot you can find and massage. If it's a calf strain, you will want to avoid stretching and pounding-type activities (yes running) so it can heal, but you can swim and maybe do the elliptical.

+1  and to add, get it nice and loose and warmed up (without stretching) before you attempt runs

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Jill_B

I fly.

My plan of attack: 

Got a massage yesterday, taking today, tomorow and friday off.  Getting another massage tomorrow.  Purchased a new pair of running shoes and a pair of compression socks.  Trying to run 2 on Saturday.  Hoping to run 10 on Sunday.  Taking Monday and Tuesday off.  Praying to return to "normal" running Wednesday.

I'm hoping it's nothing serious. 

Bring it on.

Sounds great, except for gunning for 10 on Sunday.  I'd think about Sunday's distance on Saturday evening or Sunday morning (and would be ready to bag the run at any time).  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My plan of attack: 

Got a massage yesterday, taking today, tomorow and friday off.  Getting another massage tomorrow.  Purchased a new pair of running shoes and a pair of compression socks.  Trying to run 2 on Saturday.  Hoping to run 10 on Sunday.  Taking Monday and Tuesday off.  Praying to return to "normal" running Wednesday.

I'm hoping it's nothing serious. 

Your pain sounds like the kind of pain I suffered with for years. Take it from someone who's made the mistake: don't rush back too soon or you will just delay the healing process. If you have any sharp pain at all while walking, while standing up on your toes, doing a few calf raises, or even jumping up and down on your toes, don't run.  I tried to "run through it" and it just keep adding a week or two to the recovery every time. 

The other advice is if you have access to a deep pool, take up aqua jogging until the sharp pain goes away. Here's a good article from running times, along with workouts:  http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=6032

You likely won't need all 9 weeks, but perhaps 1or 2... And, you won't lose running fitness.  

GoManGo

Hello fellow runners,

I felt it my moral obligation to my fellow runners to post here.  I'll start by saying I've been running for 30 years, have completed races of all distances all the  way up to marathon, which I've done 6 times.  I am also a triathlete and have done all distances there too, including a successful Ironman bid.  The only reason I tell you this is, is so you will know I that I have a good deal of experience pushing my body hard and have dealt with many minor injuries along the way.  The calf strain that I have had is the worst so far.

Back in the summer, I was training very hard, lifting, running and once a week doing an intense hill workout where I ran up a sledding hill.   Eventually my calves started getting super tight.  I stretched them every day but it didn't help much.  Being stubborn, I pushed through, eventually during a run, I felt like I had a cramp in my calf.  No pop or blast from the calf, just a cramp like feeling.

It's now been nearly 6 months and I'm now just starting to turn the corner and get back to pain-free running.  This is my recovery story:

First I took a week off, no good.  Then I took 2 weeks off from running, still no good.  Then I took a month off.  Still nothing.  I estimate I had a Level 2-3 tear.  So I eventually took 3 months off and slowly started doing some powerwalking, and began to incorporate running only downhill which elongates the calf.  So I did that for awhile.

Eventually I threw in the towel and went to see a Physical Therapist.  The PT worked me out doing single leg balancing exercises, calf raises, etc.  However it wasn't until I started getting Dry Needling that the muscle began to relax and some of the scar tissue began to break up.  I had one of these sessions every week for 4 weeks and now I'm feeling much better.

During this time, I also incorporated The Stick, rolling my calves every day, and getting rolled and massaged by my wife.

Another PT said simple "Stretch the sh#t out of it."  So I did.  Calf stretch and also lots of hamstring stretches, they are connected.  Keep in mind, I agree with other posters that say don't stretch the calf until it has done some healing.  Usually 1-2 months depending on the severity.

Lastly, the way I've worked back into my running seems to be working.  Namely:  I do static stretching before my run (which I used to never do, only active stretching)  Now I do both.  So I will go out and run 8 minutes, stretch again for 1-2 min followed by 8 more minutes of running, etc.  I follow this pattern and walk for a few minutes if necessary in between.  I'm now back up to running a total of 35 minutes at a time without pain or strain.  A word of caution:  If you feel any strain in your calf while running.  STOP.  You cannot "run through" this injury. 

Good luck in your recovery, I hope this helps.