Last minute question - Will I freeze at 43 degrees? (Read 794 times)

My race is tomorrow so I might be a bit late in asking this. I usually like to run races in shorts and a sports top - especially given I live in AZ. But it's supposed to be 43 degrees at the start of the Tucson Marathon tomorrow. It should warm up to about 54 by the time I'm done. My dad will be supporting me along the race so I could always give an outer layer to him. (I was thinking of starting out with a long sleeve shirt too.) But just wondered if anything thinks it's too cold to run in that temp in a sports bra. Also, has anyone ever tried running with those arm sleeves? I have some but haven't tried running with them. Wonder if they'll be warm enough or if I'll just look stupid running in a sports bra with arm sleeves and gloves. LOL. Any thoughts on clothes for this temp?
    GP160

43 degrees is warm for PA. I would def wear shorts, race top. I just wear an old long sleeve shirt over top to throw away during the race. (throw away gloves/hat if you are really cold) By the time it hits the 50's you should be toasty! Good Luck
      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Another Passion

43 degrees is warm for PA. I would def wear shorts, race top. I just wear an old long sleeve shirt over top to throw away during the race. (throw away gloves/hat if you are really cold) By the time it hits the 50's you should be toasty! Good Luck
        I agree with Gwen. In fact, I probably would discard the long sleeve prior to the start. Shorts and racing top for sure. Of course, it was 16 degrees when I started my run this morning in Michigan. I actually peeled a sweatshirt off and tied it around my waist at mile 2 though. Good luck tomorrow!! Big grin

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Thanks Gwen and Rick! Oh my gosh. I probably seem like a big wimp being worried about the "cold" weather here in the desert. Too funny. Thanks again! Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey, I'm running Tucson tomorrow too! I plan to wear shorts and tech T-shirt, and have a throwaway longsleeve shirt to discard either at the first aid station or before the start (they let us stay in the warm buses until the start). I'm pretty comfortable in a t-shirt once I get warmed up, if it's in the high 40's/50's. There shouldn't be too much wind, either, so you should be OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cool Perfessor! Good luck to you! May the wind always be at our backs. (Or at least for tomorrow.) Big grin Do you have a specific goal time for this race? I have two goals. Goal 1: Get a PR (my best time is 4:09 in a marathon). Goal 2: Qualify for Boston (I need a 3:40:00). If I meet goal 1, I'll be very happy. If I meet goal 2, you'll see and hear jumping up and down for hours at the end! (If I'm still standing, that is.) Smile
              Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Mid-40s to start and mid-50s at the finish.... sounds like PERFECT marathon weather (at least here in Ohio). I wore shorts and a throwaway long-sleeved shirt over short-sleeved performance shirt w/ gloves under those same conditions last year. perfessor and roush - What did you end up wearing? Be sure to give us your fashion report!

Jeanne

Imminent Catastrophe

... Do you have a specific goal time for this race?
                  Well, I almost hate to say this but... Dream goal: 3:30 (Boston 2008) Fallback dream goal: 3:35 (Boston 2009) goal: 3:39:13 (PR) Bib # 610, if you see me, say hi!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

haha youll be fine... my last 5k in october here in connecticut was 44 and i was hot by the time i was done... its supposed to be 9f tonite and i have a 5k tomm morn @10am with snow in the forcast... Im wearing 1 layer running pants and a thermal shirt under my running shirt. Im more worried about having frozen water to drink... good luck on your race!
                    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with mum2girls. Those are GREAT temp conditions for a marathon. Hey Perfesser, make sure your tech shirt is two-toned brown with a monkey on it Wink
                        not in AZ but I am in SD. Where 45 might be warm weather to easterners, you have to remember they're used to it. Being in AZ I have a feeling that you are about as used to it as I am. IIWM, I would be wearing a jog top with a dry fit longsleeve on top. I ran this morning in 53 degrees with gloves and it was perfect. It might also depend on how you run...I usually warm right up after about 1/4 mile.

Jennifer mm#1231

Good luck, rroush Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Well, I almost hate to say this but... Dream goal: 3:30 (Boston 2008) Fallback dream goal: 3:35 (Boston 2009) goal: 3:39:13 (PR)
                            Good luck Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Good luck! Smile
                              2009: BQ?
                                Thanks everybody! Guess what I ended up wearing? My Running Ahead tank, shorts and gloves! Why didn't I think of that sooner? I had long sleeves and sweats on before the race but then put them in my drop bag right before we started. It was perfect! I'll type up a race report next.