What to do in the week before the race? (Read 549 times)

renewedman

I have trained for two months for a 5 miler. This last week I am asking myself what I should do just before the race. I was going to follow my training pattern and run one more five miler before the actual race on Thanksgiving and then run 2-3 miles until two days before the race. What do you do to prepare in the last week? Advice?
    db7

Rest and relax. But, continue to run. Follow your plan. If you have done everything correctly, you are ready. There is no reason you shouldn't run the days before. I feel better before the 5k's and such if I run a little the day before. Have fun. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

I'd keep running. If you are going to take a day off, take two days before the race off and go easy the day before. You shouldn't need to take any time off, though. Good luck!

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

I'd keep running. If you are going to take a day off, take two days before the race off and go easy the day before. You shouldn't need to take any time off, though. Good luck!
          Thanks, Blaine. This was helpful for me too because I signed up for a 10k on Thanksgiving Day in Richmond, VA which we spend at my sister's. I was wondering what to do as far as runs in the days immediately preceeding the race. Since we'll be traveling on the Tuesday before, I can skip a run that day and then do an easy run the day before.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

i'm doing a 5 miler on thanksgiving and did just a little over 5 miles yesterday, rode my bike for about 45 mins today am planning: sunday: strength training/stretching monday: 3.5 easy miles tuesday: 2-3 easy jog run miles (or maybe biking?) wednesday: off thursday: race i always like to skip the day right before a race...makes me feel like i'm itching for a run by race day Smile

Thanks, Blaine. This was helpful for me too because I signed up for a 10k on Thanksgiving Day in Richmond, VA which we spend at my sister's. I was wondering what to do as far as runs in the days immediately preceeding the race. Since we'll be traveling on the Tuesday before, I can skip a run that day and then do an easy run the day before.
              That's the best way to go about it. Don't run on a travel day, and then the day between traveling and racing you work out the kinks that traveling caused... Most of my marathons have worked out that way.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)