Insoles & arch support...? (Read 1272 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is probably a really stupid question, but if I love everything about a shoe, except that the arches are a tad too low is it likely that simply finding a higher arched insole (not one that adds any stability, just one with a more built-up arch area) would work magic? Reason I ask is that I went back to my NB 1222s tonite after wearing the Asics Kayano exclusively for a couple of weeks. I almost instantly found that my outer arch twinge and tenderness was noticeable. But in many ways I prefer this shoe to the Kayano--primarily because it is *truly* WIDE, while what Asics calls wide is a joke. Also because Asics seems to believe that a person with wide feet must also have wide heels, so I have some slight heel slippage with the Kayano. The Kayanos have great arch support--both on the inside and outer edge of my arches...I have pretty average arches that really flatten when I put weight on them, so shoes that are desgined for low-flat arches (like the 1222) don't seem to support my arches as much as I need and allow them to collapse too much with each step. Something interesting to note was how "dead" my 1222s feel in comparison with my Kayanos, though...the 1222s have 200 miles on them while the Kayanos only have 60. The difference in cushioning is really noticeable between a new shoe and old shoe, as they are otherwise pretty comparable models in terms of cushioning and stability. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

I currently don't have a single pair of running shoes that have the original insoles in it. I have a higher arch and need to add arch to all my shoes. Besides, the insoles that come with most shoes, even good ones, are crap. In summary, add some arches to the shoes.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard that sentiment before and I'm starting to think there must be a lot of truth to that. Any particular brand of insole you recommend? I was thinking of just grabbing a pair of NB insoles with higher arches, since they should fit well in my shoes. Do you replace them each time you replace the shoes? k

~ Sarah Kay

yeah, i use superfeet insoles in all my running shoes. i needs 'em! even in my kayanos!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

yeah, i use superfeet insoles in all my running shoes. i needs 'em! even in my kayanos!
            Do you have pretty high arches? Are the Superfeet ones all more stiff orthotics, or are some more like cushy arch supports? I've read good things about those, in general, but don't know much more than that about them. k

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom, if it is a real problem maybe you should consider custom orthodics from a podiatrist. Although, they are pricey. I've had mine for years. Love them.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom, if it is a real problem maybe you should consider custom orthodics from a podiatrist. Although, they are pricey. I've had mine for years. Love them.
                I'd thought about that, but simply changing to a shoe with more arch support has made a HUGE difference. I still like the overall fit of my 1222s better than the Kayanos, though (wider through toes, snugger fit through the heel), so if making the 1222s support my arch better with a different insole (the stock insoles are quite low) does the trick, then I'm happy girl. I have some OTC orthotics that I tried running with, but they add way too much stability to already high stability shoes. I just need something to keep my arches from collapsing so much with each step. Those OTC orthotics are not bad in the shoes I wear when I do my weight workouts, though. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

I use two types of sport orthotics: Lynco and Shock Doctor. Both have worked very well for me with my higher arch. They are both a pretty good combination of support and cushion. They are firm, but not too hard; cushioned, but with support.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Peter--I may look into those. Today I picked up a pair of NB insoles when I was near a NB store, but the arches in them don't hit me in the right places, so I'm going to return them and look around some more. And I just heard today that the 1223 will be coming out by Sept., so I may just keep running in the Kayanos and check out the 1223s when they come out. Hopefully the arch will be more substantial in the 1222 replacement, as I otherwise adore that shoe. Looks like I'm not the only one who loves the 1200 series: 1222/1223 discussion

~ Sarah Kay

Do you have pretty high arches? Are the Superfeet ones all more stiff orthotics, or are some more like cushy arch supports? I've read good things about those, in general, but don't know much more than that about them. k
                      my arches have fallen considerably over the last year or two or three (i am barefoot or in sock-feet except during work hours or when running). the superfeet were recommended to me by a couple of different runners and folks in running specialty shops as something to try before shelling out for full-on podiatrist-formed orthotics. mayyybe orthotics would be even better, but at least right now, the superfeet seem to be doing the trick for me. they're stiffer than regular insoles, and have a hard plastic bottom, but they are softer than the orthotics my friend alison runs in (are all orthotics the same? i have no idea). the difference i felt the first time trying them was immediate-- for one thing, the arch support starts further back in the foot than with other insoles i've tried. they're about $35-- if you can swing it, try it (or, if there's a roadrunner sports near you, they may let you try a pair on in the store and let you jog around a bit or on a treadmill). they might be a good intermediate step before visiting a podiatrist. good luck-- foot pain = worst.