What about running do you no longer do that you miss? (Read 1181 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I thought about this very question as I stepped outside into the cool evening air last night. Answer #1 hit me right in the face. 1) Running at night. I used to run so much at night. Particularly in HS and college, often during the summer. Nice way to forget the sun in his jealous sky. Fewer cars. Quiet. Cool air. It was awesome. Even if it was 90°, 90° in the dark is a completely different (and tolerable) beast from 90° in the sun. Pretty much a complete no-go for me nowadays because I live on a 3/4 mi street whose only outlet goes into the woods. This is Alabama -- I don't want to get shot at. 2) Running with someone. I run alone now exclusively. I prefer it that way. It's my time. But I do miss those days of running with friends, particularly one of my HS track buddies who was about the same speed as me. Lots of long easy runs with good conversation, as well as those sometimes competitive outings that started out as a routine tempo run and ended up being a 16:50 5k. (At night, no less). 3) Being on a team. I miss being on track and XC teams. Particularly the epic stops at fast food restaurants on the way back from meets, but I miss all of it. 4) Ignoring my body. By this, I mean the fact that when you were young, you could get away with not listening to your body, being stupid, and running with reckless abandon. I miss that. I miss not having to worry about whether I'm gonna strain a hamstring if I try to do a tempo run. 5) Running without worrying about how long it will take and how to fit it in. We all live such busy lives as grown-ups. Sometimes, it would be nice to be able to fit my schedule around running rather the other way around. How 'bout you? What do you miss?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I remember as a middle schooler being able to run a 10k with no training. In fact I ran in red, white, and black high top Air Jordans...like running in bricks. We did it on a whim and posted a time that I'm getting now. Of course now I have to train with a purpose to accomplish that.
      Lisa3.1

I miss being YOUNG because I used to run faster and longer than I do now.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I miss being YOUNG because I used to run faster and longer than I do now.
          Don't we all!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Don't we all!
            That's the best part about starting when you're old and slow and fat ... I could never do at 20 what I'll be doing at 40. Not even close. I had more hair, though.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

finney

Resident pinniped

Nothing right now, but I have missed: * Running outdoors - in winter it's possible, but sometimes just not worth the suffering (at least to me). I'll run in pretty cold weather, but even I have a limit, and there was SO much snow this winter a lot of times it just wasn't even safe. So I did the TM a lot. Now I'm paying for it with slower times/harder runs outdoors, but I know that's temporary and even a bad run doesn't seem as bad outside. * Running in the rain (something I currently miss). It's not actually NICE to run in the rain until summer. * Running, period. I was off for a little over a month because of a rib injury (hard to run when it hurts to breathe). Even though I lost a lot of fitness since I was a beginner when I got hurt, it's just nice to be able to do it again. I, too, love love LOVE running at night!
              kcam

Hmmm - never thought about it before but it seems that when I first started running there was a freedom that I don't feel as much anymore. I didn't worship at the altar of Garmin or Ironman, a running log or my training plan (heck didn't have such a thing nor even knew they existed) I just ran. I ran in cotton Tshirts and 'sneakers' for chrissakes! I knew nothing about BQ's or marathons. I ran from coast to coast and grew a long beard, me & Bubba were gonna go inta the shrimpin bizness .... OK, little overboard there but still. Good times, good times

Why is it sideways?

Great post, Jeff. I miss many of those same things. Some other things: -Anchoring the high school 4x400m relay. There's nothing in adult life that remotely resembles it. -Doubling or tripling in those same meets. Back before I thought that being tired was an excuse for anything. -Cross country girls.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

-Anchoring the high school 4x400m relay. There's nothing in adult life that remotely resembles it.
                    Amen to that. I was lead-off in the 4x800m, and even that doesn't remotely resemble anchoring the 4x400. And I know what you mean about doubles and triples. I usually ran the 4x800, 1600, and 3200 at each meet. I never thought this at the time, but now I wish I would have also run the open 800m. Because if I could have conquered my fear of that distance, I'm not sure that there would be much of anything in life that I'd be afraid of.

I miss hanging out on the infield at track meets while someone was blaring Joan Jett from a "boom box." I'd lay around all day, watching my friends compete. Around 3:00 or so, I'd take off my unlaced Nike basketball shoes, lace up my spikes, and run the two-mile. Like the rest of you, I didn't have to train very hard.
                      Do bears bear? Do bees be?
                      mikeymike

Spikes on the track and how fast they made you feel. Relays. Leading off the 4 x 400, starting in blocks. Indoor. I loved running fast on those little roller derby tracks in the middle of winter. How loud it was in there. How you could smell the smoke from the starter's gun when you came around after the first lap, and sometimes even the second lap. Winning races. Bus rides with teammates. The antics of the weight men. Running "the Lynnfield." A 10 mile loop with the boys that always ended as a full on hammerfest. The girls track team.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Winning races.
                          Yup. I'd sure like to do that at least one more time.
                          The antics of the weight men.
                          Must be universal. Those dudes are hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the shot/discus 4x400m squad. Last place on the track, but first place in our hearts.

mikeymike

Ours called themselves the "Shemales." They named themselves that, seriously. Picture the WWE only more ridiculous. They also won just about every goddam point available. One of the reasons we never lost a meet.

Runners run

rockintrax

Well I can't say that I miss running on a team (still do) or that I miss seeing the girls cross-country/track teams - as I am on the girls team. Though classes have ended and I do miss seeing the guys cross-country/track team. I also miss those ice-cream runs we used to do in high school the day after tough meets - where we'd run 2 miles from the school to the ice cream place, get our ice-cream and walk back.
                              Steph

A Saucy Wench

That's the best part about starting when you're old and slow and fat ... I could never do at 20 what I'll be doing at 40. Not even close. I had more hair, though.
                                Ditto....even the more hair part. I am still getting faster and better. It rocks. I miss when running was exercise and I still had other extracurricular stuff. Now that I have kids I only have time for so much "me time" and running gets 99.5% of it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7