Garmin Question (reset between different workouts) (Read 620 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My question: how is it even possible that such an amazing, wonderful device could be invented and that we are blessed enough to live in a time when it exists and is available to the masses? Ok, kidding, but it is something to ponder. Here's my real question: I plan on doing a tempo run today or tomorrow. I have an Advanced Workout I created that has the following steps: 1. Warm-up (clock just runs until I hit Lap) 2. 20 minutes in my "Tempo Run" speed zone 3. Cool-down (clock just runs until I hit Lap) That's fine, but the drawback is that the Virtual Partner isn't available in Advanced Workouts (only Quick Workouts and Courses). So I'm thinking I'll do this instead: 1. Start the watch and run easy for warm-up. 2. Hit Stop when I'm ready for Tempo and start a Quick Workout for Time and Pace (in this case, 20 min @6:45/mile). I'd have my beloved Virtual Trainer kicking my butt along the way. 3. At the conclusion of the Quick Workout, start the watch again for my easy cool-down. Make sense? The real questions are: Do I have to reset the watch in between steps 1&2, and steps 2&3? Will the whole shebang of warm-up/tempo/cool-down be saved as one workout if I don't reset? Thanks, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeff, I don't really use the virtual training partner much. I prefer the flexibility of the advanced workouts and not mashing buttons while I run. I think he turns my workouts into "races" where easy pace turns into tempo, etc. To answer your question, though, your plan looks fine and you do not need to hit the reset button. GTC should pick it all up as one workout. I do this regularly, for example, I finish up 6.5 miles easy with 10x100m strides, but at the end of the workout I'm still a mile from home. I simple press start again and the rest of my run home is just tacked on to the end as another lap.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

Never got the value of virtual partner.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Never got the value of virtual partner.
          I kind of like it if I'm intent on running a specific pace on a given day. I like the feedback of knowing how many feet ahead or behind I am of Garmie (although I'll often switch over to metric b/c as a former track guy, I can relate to being 12m ahead of the pace more than I can 39 ft). That being said, I don't use it too often. Most of my runs are at home on a pretty hilly course in which case VT is useless. When I run at lunch at work where it's flat, I use it more often, but not on pure easy/recovery days, where I just tend to run by feel.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.