Wireless headphones (Read 123 times)

Piero83

Hi,

I am looking for a new wireless headphone (Bluetooth earebuds).

i was wondering what your experiences are. Which are the best choice?

thanks

grapes

I love my Aftershokz Aeropex headphones. I'm a cheapskate and never thought I'd pay so much for some headphones, but I just got so tired of constantly having to fiddle with cords or having them fall out of my ears. I tried some cheapo wireless earbuds first and they bounced around a lot, giving everything a whoosh-whoosh sound with every step. The Aeropexes are effortless to put on and stay in place perfectly. The sound is via bone conduction, leaving your ears empty to also hear ambient sounds. This is a positive or negative depending on what you are looking for.

an amazing likeness

Lots of suggestions and feedback in this (semi) recent discussion on the topic here on RA.  link

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

+1 for Aftershokx, except I don't want to carry a freakin' phone around when I run. Luckily they now have a version with 4gb built-in memory; 1200 songs, 8hr battery.

Xtrainerz

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

kcam

I rarely listen to music when I run but for those rare occasions I use the aftershokz.  Only thing I don't like about them is that the sound changes depending on if your mouth is open or closed.  Now most of the time I don't even notice but once I do it drives me nuts.

Still kicking

I've got the cheaper Tayogo version of the Aftershokz, and they are working out great. I've been swimming, running, riding and lifting with them for 4 months now, and they are going strong. I'm a radio and earbud destroyer, and these are taking everything I can throw at them. I would have gotten the Aftershokz, but they don't have an FM radio. The Tayogo does. Battery life is about 5 hours, and I currently have about 400 songs uploaded to it, no problems. I prefer FM radio shows when I run, but my music when I swim.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Thanks for the tip Dean!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Dean, is this the one you're talking about? "

Tayogo Waterproof MP3 Player, Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones for Swimming Support APP Control FM - Black"

About $90?

After eating about one headset every 3 months, and 1 MP3 player per year, I'm looking for a self-contained solution.

I've never used bone-conducting headphones.  Anyone report headaches with this?  Seems weird.  (also, will it fit over my Tin-foil hat?)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Tayogo Waterproof MP3 Player, Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones for Swimming Support APP Control FM - Black"

About $90?

After eating about one headset every 3 months, and 1 MP3 player per year, I'm looking for a self-contained solution.

I've never used bone-conducting headphones.  Anyone report headaches with this?  Seems weird.  (also, will it fit over my Tin-foil hat?)

I like Aftershokz but like to point out..

1. The sound quality if not great,  It's good to very good but if you're one of those people who complain about digital music not being as good as vinyl, these are not for you.
                    2. They do emit a little noise.  They are very loud but so if you're running with/around people, like at the gym or during a race, there might be a chance other people could hear.  I think they would need to be very close and/or your music playing very loudly, though.
                    3. They take up above the ear space.  So, if you wear sunglasses or anything around your ears like a hat, they can get in the way.  They can also create a gap in the back of your head if you wear a beanie in the winter.

Generally, I wear Aftershokz in the summer and JLab JBuds Air in the winter.  I would wear JLabs all the time except when I sweat, I feel like they're going to fall out but in the winter, a beanie keeps them in place.  Also, the play time is only something like 2 hours so they won't last  for a very long run.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I like Aftershokz but like to point out..

Really valuable points, Julia.  I listen exclusively to Podcasts, which tend to have horrible quality anyway.  Might give them a try.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

grapes

They take up above the ear space.  So, if you wear sunglasses or anything around your ears like a hat, they can get in the way.  They can also create a gap in the back of your head if you wear a beanie in the winter.

I had worried about this initially. It's true about beanies, they don't work fantastically with them. I find the problem isn't the back so much as covering my ears -- can't get the hat all the way over my ears without awkwardly covering up the transducers, which feels bad and sounds bad. If I'm just covering the tops of my ears, it's fine.

On the other hand, Aftershokz + cap + sunglasses (put on in that order) has been no problem at all. Surprisingly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really valuable points, Julia.  I listen exclusively to Podcasts, which tend to have horrible quality anyway.  Might give them a try.

90% of my listening outdoors is in the form of podcasts. They are better for spoken word than for music. I use them for music while indoors. They're OK for that. I think with Aftershokz that the higher-end ones are supposed to have better sound quality. I have the Titanium model...so relatively low-rent.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Still kicking

About $90?

The ones I have is one model below that, and doesn't have bluetooth. These are the ones I have. They are my first bone conduction headphones, and I'm hooked. I doubt I could ever go back. Don't expect super high fidelity, but they sound surprisingly good. They come with ear plugs for swimming... but I use my own. They are even louder under water, and sound even better with earplugs in. In the winter, they sound great on the outside of a stocking cap. I wear glasses, and these don't interfere with them at all. One thing I love, is that they don't restrict normal hearing, and you can actually have a conversation, without turning them off. Great for hearing traffic while running. I haven't had any problems with headaches. I love the fact that I can wear them in the rain and sweat all over them, and no problem, and no wires to break. I've tried everything available over the last 40 years... and these are my favorite so far. I just hope they last. My average is about 3 players a year, and wired earbuds rarely make it more than a month. So these are exceeding expectations already!

grapes

In the winter, they sound great on the outside of a stocking cap.

I've never thought to try them on the outside! Thanks for the idea.

Still kicking

I've never thought to try them on the outside! Thanks for the idea.

Give it a try, I think you'll be very surprised. I think they sound better (and louder) over a stocking cap.