So I'm using the foam roller... (Read 1142 times)

Ostrich runner

Everybody seems to say this foam roller thing works wonders for ITBS...how long does it take to work them? I can tell the band has loosened up, but it still flared right up after a couple miles when I tried running on it. I'm using the pro tec strap too--I couldn't tell if it made any difference while I was running, but I've started wearing it through the day and it seems to mitigate the pain then. Getting restless, tired of swimming.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

If it is bad, only rest and gentle rehab work will let it heal and then you need to address the root cause (overtraining, shoes, running on raised center roads, etc....). Patience is hard but for something like this it is needed. Not a doctor but I have had ITB and I came back too soon and paid for it with another month of layoffs. Not sure about the foam roller as I was old school and never heard of it until a couple of years ago. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

LOVE my stick. I bought this instead of the foam roller b/c i can bring it to work with me and use it whenever i get bored. the first time i used it, i was wincing in pain, almost had tears forming while my husband "rolled me" but ever since then (and its only been 2 weeks for me) i havent had knots like that. it has definitely loosened up. HOWEVER, i just started back this week with some really short runs. the first 3 (2 on TM, 1 on paved trail) were great, but today i went out on the street and it really started acting up on me. I am getting VERY frustrated with this b/c i dont want to sit around the house anymore (i dont have a gym membership to try other things with) but i just dont know what else to try. i hope today was just a bad run and maybe i will stick to the TM for a while..... but i guess as long as you arent in real pain when you roll yourself, its working.
          Just curious Carmel - when did you have your injury? I wouldlike to take a gander at your log and see how you worked back into everything.
          C-R

Two years ago and I lost my log data in the Cool Running fiasco Angry For what its worth, my root cause was running around an indoor track with a bank (10 laps per mile) too often. I took off two solid weeks and gentle stretched the area. Two main stretches 1) cross over- bending and touch your toes 2) same leg position and leas sideways into a wall (I found these researching ITB on the net - great info there). Once I felt ok to run, I would run/walk a three miler every other day and cross train on the others (mostly swimming). Very slow. From there I built up more days, until I got to six days per week. Then I gradually dropped the walking part. By that time, I was ready to run again. Whole process too six weeks. Hope this helps.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

LOVE my stick. I bought this instead of the foam roller b/c i can bring it to work with me and use it whenever i get bored. the first time i used it, i was wincing in pain, almost had tears forming while my husband "rolled me" but ever since then (and its only been 2 weeks for me) i havent had knots like that. it has definitely loosened up. HOWEVER, i just started back this week with some really short runs. the first 3 (2 on TM, 1 on paved trail) were great, but today i went out on the street and it really started acting up on me. I am getting VERY frustrated with this b/c i dont want to sit around the house anymore (i dont have a gym membership to try other things with) but i just dont know what else to try. i hope today was just a bad run and maybe i will stick to the TM for a while..... but i guess as long as you arent in real pain when you roll yourself, its working.
              The first time I used the roller it was really, really bad. After a few days I could put all of my weight on it, and I'd taken nearly a month off running. Maybe I had unrealistic hopes, but I expected that it was fine once the IT band released that tension.

Go Pre!

The Stick is a great tool. So is walking before and after each run and diligent IT Band stretches and hip abductor strengthening. I had ITBS bad, Now it's gone. Those 4 things all combined to help eliminate IT Band issues.
                  I've been dealing with ITB for three years now and tried everything from stretches to rollers to physiotherapy including deep tissue massage. That deep tissue massage was interesting, the PT would put all of her weight with her elbow as she ran it up the side of my leg. Ouch! Stretching helps (bending over with crossed legs). I often used to stretch the ITB after 5 minutes of running, once it starts getting warmed up. I haven't experienced the ITB for a few months now, ever since I've been doing more x-training. A couple of things I learned. The ITB has no stretch sensing nerves, so you will never actually feel it stretching even if it is stretching. Running downhill will irritate it more. Running slow, will irritate it more. Increase your mileage very slowly. That last one along with the x-training, got rid of it for me (fingers crossed). - R

Go Pre!

I agree with the slow running, that really irritates my IT Band, as do downhills. I walk down, or sidestep down hill repeat days.

Junior Amphibian

I suppose everyone is different then, because in my case it's the fast running that irritates my ITB. Whenever my feet start to pound the asphalt, it's guaranteed that I'll be in some discomfort for the next few days. Once the ITB is inflamed, there's not much you can do except rest and wait. It took me 4 months to completely heal from it 2 years ago. Stretching does not cure the ITBS, but merely deal with the symptoms, but I've had some success with strength training and trying different shoes. Another way to alleviate the symptoms is icing after your runs and taking anti-inflammatory pills. For me, the key in preventing the ITBS is not to get my legs too tired. When they start to feel "dead", that's my warning signal to cut down on my workouts.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Ostrich runner

It is interesting how varied the problem seems to be. I haven't figured out if fast or slow is worse as it all seems to be bad, but I guess I have been taking it easy when I have tried to run. The most frustrating part of it for me is that I will think I have the issue dealt with, then I'll go out for a run and set myself back.

The ITB has no stretch sensing nerves, so you will never actually feel it stretching even if it is stretching. Running downhill will irritate it more. (fingers crossed). - R
                          Interesting - I was wondering why I cant actually feel it stretching. I was getting frustrated thinking I wasnt doing it correctly. I will keep this in mind next time though. And as for the hill thing - I found mine kills during the UPHILL. Ive only actually done 1 hill workout becuase I havent really been able to get my base good enough yet, but when i did try it once was when I really irritated it and wound up taking 2 weeks off after that. I'm desprate for anything at this point. It hasnt been long and I shouldnt complain becuase I know it could be ALOT worse, but just looking at my log is making me grind my teeth! I will keep stretching, rolling, and icing though......
                          BaldMike

I had a flare up 1.5 years ago and the foam roller helped me TONS but I also had to buy new shoes because my others were carrying to many miles and I read that much like running on a track in the same direction all the time causing ITBS, running on roads that are slanted can cause ITBS problems too. And lets be honest, most roads have slant for water run off. I picked the roads where less cars would be traveling and I ran with traffic as much as possible, then I would run against traffic when I knew I needed to for safety reasons. Add this in with shoes, daily roller, daily stretching and it started to get better over 4-8 week time frame. Hope this makes sense and will help, i know its painful and painfully frustrating.
                            PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                              My foam roller, in conjunction with new shows, and the pattstrap, cured me from ITBand injury in 4 weeks. I am still very, very cautious. I have limited my long runs, and speed increase. I still fear if I push, it will come back. I'm happy doing high nines, low tens and 7 milers being long runs. I love my foamie!

- Anya

Ostrich runner

Well, I'm going to find out how well this is all working this Saturday. I signed up for the Race for the Cure 5k here, and it is my first race since '99. I've been more or less sidelined for about six weeks, but I don't care. I'm running, and that's it, knee be damned. I'll let ya know how it goes.