2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

meaghansketch

Julia- Yay!  Happy you made wave 1!

I'm in wave 2, green.

jfa

Thanks, I found it! I'm in the second wave and happy about that and I'm in the Orange group which also makes me happy. I think that means that I will be running across the top level of the Verrazano Bridge. It's not a big deal, but last time I was in the Green group that crossed on the lower level.

I'm Orange number two.

If it's just urban legend , it doesn't matter. But I have heard that being on the lower level you might get peed on by runners above.

lagwagon

Congrats Julia on wave 1!  I hope everyone else is also happy with their draw too.

I'll admit I'm pretty stoked...it looks like I got a selected for the "Local Competitive" start.   So I'll be at the front of Green, hopefully out in front of the mythical golden showers.

Only goal now is for everyone to get to the start safe and healthy!  (Oh yeah, there's that old goal of running sub-3...but I'll let health and weather dictate whether I chase that rainbow.)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'll admit I'm pretty stoked...it looks like I got a selected for the "Local Competitive" start.   

Wow, congrats.

Green Wave #1, Corral #3 here.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

I'll admit I'm pretty stoked...it looks like I got a selected for the "Local Competitive" start.   So I'll be at the front of Green, hopefully out in front of the mythical golden showers.

I woman I know who did the local competitive start at the NYC marathon years ago - probably a decade or more ago - said they all linked arms to help keep the runners behind them from surging forward too early. Was that ever true? if so, could it still be? It always struck me as dangerous and ineffective.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I woman I know who did the local competitive start at the NYC marathon years ago - probably a decade or more ago - said they all linked arms to help keep the runners behind them from surging forward too early. Was that ever true? if so, could it still be? It always struck me as dangerous and ineffective.

Well, there goes my plan to lead the NYCM for 50meters.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

I'm glad everyone seems to have the wave they expected.  It's nice to know when we're starting so we can make plans...  Is it too early to plan an RA meet up for before or after the race?

Yeah, you should get a good start being in the front.

I'm in the "Professional Men and Women" start.  Cool  That's right.  I'll be hanging out with Meb and Ryan...  LOL!  I'm in Corral 7.  So, six thousand people in front of me.  Wow, that boggles the mind.  This race is really, really, big, huh.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'm glad I made the second wave and it will be fun to be in the Orange group, but I'm in the last Orange corral. Almost wishing I were back in the front of the Green group with fewer people in front of me.

For you Green Groupers, I didn't notice the golden showers last time, but it's a good idea to run in the middle of the road to be safe. There is also an advantage to being green if you are worried about heat. When you run on the lower level you are shaded and for the first 8 miles, the green route is on the shady side of the street. I'm hoping for some clouds on Nov. 3.

Docket_Rocket

Julia, that is awesome!

I thought I was atop the bridge in 2011 but the bib was green.  Weird how many (or few) things I remember.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ultramarathon/triathlete

Oh hey, I'm running this now.  I just got a slot as a pace leader for the 4:30 pace group.  So, if that's any of you guys, I'll be pacing you :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia  congrats on wave 1 that is awesome!

Green #4 Corral #69

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've run a few times on the bottom level a few times on the top.  The peeing is urban legend.  (Though people DO stop to pee, but it won't get on you, and it's not a lot of people).  A lot of people DO pee while waiting at the foot of the approach to the bridge.  Once they move everyone from their coral through the long winding march to get lined up before the start, there's a lot of standing around and nervous bladders.  My shoes have gotten pee on them from squatting men or women.  Some bring empty gatorade bottles, some squat, pull the shorts to the slide, and pee right there.  Some move to the side and pee on the busses that line the side of the start area.  Soooo there's that.

If you're on the bottom level, it might be wise to run as far on the side as you can, if you use a GPS watch.  The signal can get wonky otherwise.  Other than that, there's no downside in my experience.  You'll forget that first mile anyway, too much general excitement and it's a blur.  Top or bottom of Verrazano = both good.

There's no way the local competitive leads linked arms.  I don't buy that.  I've started on the start line 5 or 6 times now.  Cannon went off, Sinatra started singing, and we all burned it way too fast up the bridge.  lol.  No hand holding and I doubt the women are any different.  That also seems very non-sportsman like.  Who's to say the person behind wasn't able to go faster and was being trapped back behind linked arms.  Anyway, I call urban legend on that one too :-)

Even if you are ON the line and in the same start wave as the pros, they're still roped off and in front of you by at least 10 feet.  You can see them, even call out to talk to them if you have something to say, especially if you start close up or on the line.  When NYRR/Mary parades them out one and a time and announces their names and sometimes their recent accomplishments, you'll probably see them.  It is pretty cool since you won't see them on the course.  They'll be down the bridge before we're even half way up it ;-)

On a related note, while on SI, watch for the Dunkin Donuts guys handing out pink or orange DD stocking caps (free).  I have a few of those from recent years and have also started the race wearing one in colder years, ditching it by mile 2 or so but it was nice to have it while waiting at the foot of the bridge.  Though if this recent weather is any indication, it's not going to be as cold a start this year.  We'll see.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

I thought they had toilets IN the corrals.

They better have some because I'm not going to last the 45 min once they close the corrals of wave #1.

Wave #1 corral #1 BTW \o/

Docket_Rocket

I thought they had toilets IN the corrals.

They better have some because I'm not going to last the 45 min once they close the corrals of wave #1.

They do, but once they move you to the bridge, you're not in the corrals any more.  I was at the end of Wave 2 last time I did it so I was by the corrals between the corrals and bridge.  No toilet there.  Having said that, there is a wait of close to 30 minutes inside the corrals and I visited the toilet plenty of times during that waiting period without issue.  There was toilet paper, no line, and everything else.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Awesome!  I'll tell my future BFFs Meb and Ryan to make some room for you on the line.  Wink