2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

lagwagon

Awesome!  I'll tell my future BFFs Meb and Ryan to make some room for you on the line.  Wink

Meb's awesome.  And you mean Ryan Vail, right Wink ?  I enjoy his blog.  I was hoping to meet Kara, but alas, not this year.  (Now my incentive for running a 2:25 is gone.)

Mendeldave, I was wondering if you were running, I thought you were supposed to be in last year.  Good luck as a pacer.

Julia1971

Meb's awesome.  And you mean Ryan Vail, right Wink ?  I enjoy his blog.  I was hoping to meet Kara, but alas, not this year.  (Now my incentive for running a 2:25 is gone.)

Mendeldave, I was wondering if you were running, I thought you were supposed to be in last year.  Good luck as a pacer.

I may have been focusing on the wrong Ryan.  I got 2 hours to burn at Fort Wadsworth.  I can stalk him, too.  (Just kidding!)

Oh man.  I would love to see the elite women's start.  I wonder if they start in Blue?  (I would also love to see/meet this wheelchair athlete.  I only read about her yesterday via FB and was awed by her accomplishments).

Docket_Rocket

Awesome to those in the first Wave!!!!!!  Especially you, Julia!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awesome!  I'll tell my future BFFs Meb and Ryan to make some room for you on the line.  Wink

Thanks! Tongue

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, after last year's debacle and a huge number of other annoying things from the NYRR piled on top, I decided I didn't want to run it again for a while... or rather, didn't want to pay to run it -Id just run something else.  It's worth it a few times, but I think this is my 7th or 8th now.

But, as the year went on I kind of did want to run it so I decided I'd see about being a pacer.  So, now I'm back at it again.

See you guys all there!  I'll be pacing 4:30 from the green coral --look for me wearing orange balloons.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

jfa

So any suggestions on how to pass about 3 hours time from arriving at the start area until my 10am start time?

I can only bring what I am going to run with or leave behind.

ultramarathon/triathlete

My suggestions: magazines, an old book, a pile of junk mail you've been meaning to sort through,  frequent trips to the porta, a hunt for the guys giving away the free Dunkin Donuts stocking caps, sleep, try not to freeze, there's also a stage with live music, you can go sit and watch that or try to find the old asian guy (we call him bells) who will be dancing by the stage, dressed in something saying the umpteen millionth marathon he's done, wearing bells on his shoes/clothes and watch him for a while --if you see him, you'll know it's him (assuming he's still alive).

Are you meeting with anyone on SI?  Time goes by pretty quickly.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

So any suggestions on how to pass about 3 hours time from arriving at the start area until my 10am start time?

Bring a trash bag to sit on or lie on so you can chill for a while along with magazines or a book. The ground can be cold and/or damp.

jfa

Are you meeting with anyone on SI?  Time goes by pretty quickly.

No, but thanks for the suggestions. I guess they'll be about 47,000 other runners with the same problem , so it's alright.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

This video was on the FB page, so you might have seen it already but it is a good view of the 2011 marathon from the perspective of a runner. You can see what the villages are like before the race as well as the corral scene and what the scenery and crowds look like all along the course. And watching the runners go across the Verrazano bridge (these are the green group), you don't see any golden showers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFgdXOJzndk&feature=youtu.be

meaghansketch

One piece of advice I got was to buy a copy of the Sunday NY Times that morning-- it's so thick it insulates you well if you sit on it (also bring a trash bag in case the ground is wet) and you can read it if you have extra time...  I found that between nervous energy and taking care of last-minute things I didn't really have enough time to read any of it, but thought it was a good idea nonetheless.

meaghansketch

Not so much an NYCM-specific question but thought this would be a good place to get opinions...

I am in green #31, the first green corral of wave #2.  Up at the front!  Excellent!  Less congestion!

Except... I am not sure if I should move back.  I definitely don't want to start too fast, and the 4:00 pacer (my goal time) is in corral #34.  I don't plan to run with the pace group, but don't want to be too far ahead of them either.

I have teammates in #32, #33, and #34.  I am thinking I should move back, but not sure how far.

I have run NYCM before (2010) so am familiar with the level of congestion (I didn't find it too bad, fwiw.)

Any opinions?

jfa

And watching the runners go across the Verrazano bridge (these are the green group), you don't see any golden showers.

Good. Because that would make them the yellow group , right?

Thanks for the vid.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, that video is kind of cool because it's exactly what the course looks like, and nothing like what the course looks like, all rolled into one.  Meaning, that's what someone on the side would see at many points and running it you see those things too, but running it is such a different perspective.  Hard to explain but I bet most of you will get what I mean after Nov 3rd :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Is the only reason you're thinking about moving back is that you're afraid of starting too fast?  Is so, just don't start too fast.  Smile  Do some mental training between now and then - remind yourself that you'll pay later for starting too fast.  Run your race; not the race of those around you.

Not so much an NYCM-specific question but thought this would be a good place to get opinions...

I am in green #31, the first green corral of wave #2.  Up at the front!  Excellent!  Less congestion!

Except... I am not sure if I should move back.  I definitely don't want to start too fast, and the 4:00 pacer (my goal time) is in corral #34.  I don't plan to run with the pace group, but don't want to be too far ahead of them either.

I have teammates in #32, #33, and #34.  I am thinking I should move back, but not sure how far.

I have run NYCM before (2010) so am familiar with the level of congestion (I didn't find it too bad, fwiw.)

Any opinions?