2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Julia1971

40s? They're gonna find me in. Fort Wadsworth huddled up like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining. But, okay, I'll root for colder weather.

Squee?   No no no.  Change the 5 to a 4 and launch some clouds into that sky.

Oh, and yes, turn off the blower.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Can't decide if it's pre-race anxiety or something more but I'm beginning to notice all kinds of aches and pains. 

Hahaha I was just talking about this with my run group Wed night.  I said the night before any big/important race (or even the week or so leading up) I start to feel aches and pains that didn't exist at all a week ago.

It's also kinda like when you're at the start of any race waiting for the gun and you ask people around you how they're feeling... EVERYONE is either feeling sick, feeling sluggish, feeling under-trained, feeling sore...  no one says I feel like I'm gonna nail this one! lol

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

lagwagon

40s? They're gonna find me in. Fort Wadsworth huddled up like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining. But, okay, I'll root for colder weather.

lol.  this a.m. on the treadmill I watched the South Park where Stan's dad buys a Blockbuster and  the whole episode is based on the Shining!

lagwagon

so this thing at the Javitz center...when is the best time to go if you hate crowds? Disapprove (nycm, ik,r!)

I'm thinking maybe I'll take Friday off and head in for mid morning to catch it as it opens.  otherwise Thursday night?...or perhaps Saturday afternoon since I have to go in for a charity pasta dinner anyway that night, but I figure that's the worst time to go...

ultramarathon/triathlete

so this thing at the Javitz center...when is the best time to go if you hate crowds? Disapprove (nycm, ik,r!)

I'm thinking maybe I'll take Friday off and head in for mid morning to catch it as it opens.  

You have the right idea.  Some of the early birds will be there, most people will be at work or won't even be in town yet.

I'll be working the expo then, come by the NYRR pace booth and look for me.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

meaghansketch

I'm planning to go Thursday afternoon/evening.  I can leave work at 4 or 5 if I get there by 6 AM, and it will only be the locals, so hopefully won't be super crowded.

TakeAHike

I'll probably go Thursday afternoon.  I work in mid-town and the bus comes right past my office.  If things are quiet, I should be able to skip out for an hour and a half.  If not, I'l go right after work.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

ultramarathon/triathlete

If you see the Paragon Sports people handing out store info at the expo, take a card.  The last few years they've offered a free bus from the expo to their store in Union Square (right by subways to most anywhere) and they offer a free runner's lunch if you show your bib (which I think was pizza and soda/bottled water).  They might do that again this year.

Also, for those in the area, here's some info on events from The NY Running Company (a local running store -I'm not affiliated with them or anything, but I shop there because they're great supporters of runners).  If you're still in town Monday after the marathon, the below event sounds pretty cool too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit www.run.com for more details on any of these events. 

Saturday, October 25 at 11:00am: Brooks-lyn Run. This final run in the Adrenaline Rush Series will take athletes from the East Side New York Running Company Store to Williamsburg Brooklyn, via the marathon course, for a kickin' post-run party at Trash Bar and Live Music Venue. Giveaways and good times will abound, so don't miss out. Bag drop is at 10:30 am and the 5 mile run starts at 11:00am

Wednesday, October 30 at 6:30pm: Meet the Marathon Man, Dean Karnazes.Come to the West Side New York Running Company Store and meet the celebrated athlete and bestselling author, Dean Karnazes! Dean will fill us in on his latest global running adventure and then take then take questions from the audience. The presentation starts at 6:30pm

Monday, November 4: Marathon Monday Celebrations  at 10:00am:Runners get the royal treatment in honor of their accomplishments at this New York Running Company event at the Time Warner Center. 
                  Crown Trophy will provide FREE engraving for finisher medals and Brooks Running will hand out special marathon t-shirts for all finishers, while supplies last. The team from Body and Soul Restorations will be there to provide FREE reflexology and massage to soothe you and the great coaches at I Run/ I Yoga will lead gentle stretching sessions to help you recover. This event begins at 10:00am and runs all day. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

I updated the main page.  I included a video I found on the internet on getting to the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_HQIKsgIlg&feature=youtu.be  It seems like most of you are local but as an out-of-towner I thought it was helpful.  And, a link to the Weather Channel to make it easier to obsess about the weather.

GatsbyBird

Julia, Mendeldave, and everyone else -- thank you so much for all of the useful info!  I've popped in here to lurk from time to time since DH and I will be at NYC (Orange wave 2).  This thread contains all sorts of good stuff.  Looking forward to seeing you and 45K other close friends on the 3rd.

3/30/24 Rattlesnake Dick 25k, Cool, CA

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

jfa

Nice stuff.

I'll be heading to the Expo on Thursday afternoon.

As far as the hills go , if they're mainly bridges, just maintain the effort, if not the pace. For every uphill, there's a downhill.

Last year at this time I believed I was trained for a PR. My tuneup halves supported this feeling.It would have been marathon number 10 (plus about 12,000 miles) in the six years I had taken up running. It was to be my fastest, and quite possibly, my last full. So I raced on Nov 3rd last year and ran well on a gravel trail. No PR.

I believe I am in as good as shape now as last year so barring a bad headwind, I'm going for it. Looking to beat the 3:59 I set in Chicago on 10/10/10.

As far as retiring from marathons, I think the events in Boston last spring renewed my determination to BQ. So this is a big step (but only one of many) towards that goal.

Bring it !!

I'll be working the Expo on Thursday morning doing bib \shirt distribution..

yourfavorite

this Sunday will be my first marathon. I'm hoping to break 3 hours. So far I've run all of my long runs at 6:48 pace including my 20 mile a week ago. Here's to hoping I feel good enough on race day to go for it. I live in Brooklyn and do a lot of training around prospect and over the wburg bridge.

My one concern currently is that I put my est time as 3:20 when I signed up but my training went much faster. I forgot to update my time and am currently slotted in blue wave 1 corral 8. I know I can't move up corrals but am a little worried that I'm in a corral that is 45 sec off my goal pace. Any tips for handling this or should I come to terms now that sub 3 hours isn't likely?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Docket_Rocket

It's race week!  Good luck to everybody!'

We arrive late Thursday night so we will go to the expo Friday morning.  We are running the 5K the day before so hubby is involved on the weekend.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad, Runner, Programmer

As a result of a combination of things that led me to basically reduce my training to nothing, I have decided to not have a miserable NYC marathon experience and instead defer til next year (I know that means paying again, but I figure this is a once in a lifetime situation and my wife approved Smile

Good luck everyone! You guys will do great!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!