2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Julia1971

I'm glad so many RAers are running it!  I'll reformat my original post to list everyone.  It might be too early for goals but I was thinking if people want to share when they're starting their training and/or what training plan they're following (if any), I could include that until we get closer to the big day.

As for me, I'll be following the Pfitz 18/70-85 plan beginning June 30th.  I have a goal time in mind but November is a long ways away so I'll wait to see how things look in the fall.

Checked my NYRR account and saw the following:

ALERTS

Thank you for applying to the 2013 ING New York City Marathon. The Non-Guaranteed Drawing is now closed, and you have not been accepted.

---I suppose had I been accepted for 2013, I could have run it and still been just fine since the JFK-50 was in fact 3 weeks later.   But... SInce I did not get selected in 2013, it guarantees that I have a slot in November, 2014.   :-) 

CONGRATS to all the folks that got in, have a great race this year !

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

jojo61397

Well, I'm one unlucky bastard, but hey, I'm going to be guaranteed entry next year--- yay!

See ya in NYC next year, good luck to all!

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
        Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Julia1971

K L Duke and JoJo, Fooey!  Sorry you didn't get in but yeah, see you next year.  I don't think my best friend got in either.

Decided to get into the lottery after running my first full in May.

This came to today..

Dear John McCarthy,

Congratulations! 
            You are "in!" Welcome to the 2013 ING New York City Marathon.

Guess I'm in..

lagwagon

Count me in!

I'm going the charity route (Run for PKD) after a friend decided to put together a team....just so happens that we have polycystic disease in the family so we're motivated to raise funds anyway.

Speaking of which, is it true that charity runners start last?  I'll need some advice on how to cope with the crowds.

Julia, I'll probably also do Pfitz 18/70...I was about 75% into the plan for a May race but a slow healing calf strain derailed me.  I'll give it another try with a little less intensity.

I'm typically watching NY from the sidelines so it'll be fun to race it instead!

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Speaking of which, is it true that charity runners start last?  I'll need some advice on how to cope with the crowds.

I think it is pretty crowded in all of the waves. My advice would be to plan on taking the first mile a little slow since it is uphill over the bridge and crowded at the start. Once you are over the bridge you should be running at your own pace without much weaving. The course is at least 4 car lanes wide at the start so it's not as bad as some other large city marathons I have run like Philly and Boston.

ymmv

I'm in because of 3 previous rejections.

nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

After three turn downs I'm in. It'll be my fourth marathon. yes, you could say I'm pretty pumped.

meaghansketch

I am in via 9+1!

I started a 24-week training plan 2 weeks ago but wasn't too serious about it the first week so it's more like a 23-week plan.  I'm somewhat back on track now though (don't check my logs; I haven't been tracking a thing since March).

Too early for a goal yet but I am really trying to get everything lined up for a shot at 3:59.  I was a little bit nonchalant about my training last year and for my spring marathon, but I really want to give this one 100%.

jfa

I'm in from last year's cancellation. This will be my fifth year of trying to run it.

I'll be doing either Hal Higdon Novice 2 or Intermediate 1, haven't decided yet.

seanster

ME

I'm in from last year's cancellation. This will be my fifth year of trying to run it.

Yup me too... 5th times a charm.  Last years goal was 3:30 which I got at my replacement (Delaware-Lehigh) can't see why I shouldn't go for that again.

§ SIGNATURE§

Julia1971

Looks like we can start making our baggage (http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/baggage.htm) and transportation options (http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/transportation.htm).

I chose baggage last year and was jokingly upset I wouldn't get a poncho.  But, I think I saw a picture of one after Sandy on eBay and they weren't as cool looking as I was picturing in my head.  Not sure what I'll chose this year.