2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Julia1971

Just a reminder - today's the deadline to change your transportation and baggage options.

I actually decided to change to "baggage" at the last minute.  I may change it back again by the end of the day.  Smile

Looks like we're all holding up pretty well...

YMMV, Congrats on the 1 miler!

D_R, See you in the dailies.

TakeAHike, I think we're on the same schedule so I may start log stalking you.  Smile  Good job hitting your pace ranges.  I finally was able to hit mine during my medium run yesterday.  It's makes me think I'll be in good shape once the heat and humidity leaves town.

Meaghan, Good luck with your race!

Lagwagon, Hope the calf feels better.

Docket_Rocket

I decided upon no baggage and I think I can handle it, but thanks for the reminder!

That is assuming my husband is there with me.  But if he is not going, I'm not going either, so we better both go!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Thanks for the reminder. I think I will stick with no baggage. I am tempted by one of those orange ponchos and I am hoping that my DH can bring me extra clothes. I wish I knew what security was going to be like. If they don't allow backpacks or bag anywhere near the finish it would be useful to know. On the other hand, they can't really control access to all of Central Park West, can they?

Julia1971

Week 5 is in the books.  Total mileage was 80.  I'm still feeling pretty good and, since the weather has been unseasonably cool where I am, I was able to run some pretty fast miles.  Yesterday, I had 18 miles w/10 at MP.  When I started out, I didn't feel all that great and had some doubts about pulling off 18 miles let alone 10 at MP.  Had a good 6 as warmup and then started the MP segment.  I didn't look at my Garmin for most of the MP segment and just ran by effort.  I finally checked it after 6 miles and was surprised to see 8:16.  I was able to pick up the pace and finished with 8:08 pace.  Still way off from where I ultimately want to be but a 25 sec/mile improvement over my last MP workout.  Next week is a cutback week and then things get serious - three 80 mile weeks in a row.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Julia!

I finished the week super strong with an 18 miler with the last 9 @ MP + 10% but it ended up being a progressive from that to MP and it felt super easy.

Barring no miles with hubby tonight, I ran 57 miles this week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ymmv

59.7 mile week for me, but I may still go out for 5 easy miles with DW later on today.

I ran my first XC 8K this morning in 38:27. I'm not used to racing on trails, wet grass, and gravel.

I kept up my regular Tuesday 4 mile tempo run (14 in a row so far)

Instead of doing a mid-week (wednesday) medium run, I have slipped into running my usual 7 mile easy run course followed by 3 or so miles at marathon pace. I don't check my pace on these (nor on my tempo runs) and I find I'm doing the MP add-on a little faster than planned.

I also have been adding some MP miles into my Saturday run.

So far, so good, but I find it hard to think about the race.

lagwagon

nice job everyone.  a combination of the cooler weather in most places, and some adaptations from the last few weeks seems to be helping move us all in the right direction!

I hit 65mi this week, also my first week at average sub 8 min pace since the winter.  Week started a little rough, as i ran my tempo on Tues (with a new group, which was cool) and came up 20-30 sec slower than goal, but it was pretty humid and I was a little tired going in.

Week improved substantially though as the 18 mile MP run yesterday went great, with 10 miles @ MP averaging sub 6:50.  Feeling it today, but it was a tough run on a hard week, so alls good!

As the MP runs can be tough, I'm thinking maybe working the next 2 (12 mi and 14 mi) into HMs:  Run the Reservoir (Oradell NJ, Sep 1)  and Newport Liberty (Jersey City, 9/22).  Anyone else doing the same/similar?

TakeAHike

Week 5 of 18 is done.  My tempo run last week was lousy, but otherwise everything went well.  I was undisciplined during my MP on Saturday, but I feel good about the results.  We went to a B&B in the Catskills and I had to map out a route in unfamiliar, hilly territory. The RA mapping tool said my route had 1,000 feel of uphill (and 1,000 feet of downhill) and that the worst hills were towards the end.  I was supposed to run 16 miles, with the last 10 @ MP and I planned to get the faster miles out of the way before hitting those final hills. I still don't know what my MP is, but I decided to aim for 7:55 after failing miserably at 7:30 last time.  The weather was cool and I was feeling good.  I finished mile 3 in 7:43 and decided to just go with it.  My pace varied as I cruised up and down rolling hills, but I never let up.  In the end, I completed 16 hilly miles at an average pace of 7:59.  It was a significant effort, but I felt OK afterwards and recovered well.  I did not do the workout the way Pftiz drew it up, but I have no regrets.  I feel fine now and have a cutback week coming up.  I ended the week with 47 miles.

Julia - We might be on the same general schedule, but you are doing a much harder version of it.  Feel free to stalk me.  I have been stalking you for several weeks now.  I thought that is what people do around here Smile.  Nice job with your 18-miler.  Enjoy the cutback week. Though I am sure your cutback week is more than my longest week.

D_R - Nice mileage and LR.

YMMV - That XC race sounds like fun, but I can't really tell if you liked it or not.  I like to do a trail race or two every year, but I am more comfortable racing on roads.

Lagwagon - That was a solid MP run.  Nice job.  I plan to do a bunch of local races for tune-ups and MP runs.  So far, my "race" schedule looks like this.

Week 7 - NYRR 18-miler in Central Park - 20 mile normal LR for me

Week 6 - Newport Liberty HM - Tune-up race at full race effort

Week 5 - Yonkers HM - 18 miles with 14 at MP

Week 4 - ?? -  Visiting family in PA - Maybe a 5k in Lansdale, PA

Week 2 - 10k in Paramus, NJ -  Tune-up race at full race effort

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Julie 1971/ "She's a beast, man." - random stranger to his friend after he recognized me from a 10K the weekend before and introduced himself. Julie 1971 Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

lagwagon

Question to those of you on Pfitz or other structured training plans:  how are you working in hills?  

I keep hearing how tough NY can be with the bridges and park hills...so I want to find a way to bake more into my running, especially the up-tempo and MP stuff.  will you move some of your tempos/MP runs onto hilly routes, or actually build in hill repeats somewhere?  if the latter, on what days / in place of what workouts?

PS takeahike...nice race list, thanks for sharing, maybe I'll see you at newport.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Question to those of you on Pfitz or other structured training plans:  how are you working in hills?  

I keep hearing how tough NY can be with the bridges and park hills...so I want to find a way to bake more into my running, especially the up-tempo and MP stuff.  will you move some of your tempos/MP runs onto hilly routes, or actually build in hill repeats somewhere?  if the latter, on what days / in place of what workouts?

I am following a Running Wizard plan that builds in 4 weeks of hill work (2 hill work-outs per week) so this is not an issue for me. When I ran NY in 2011 I was not following a structured plan but thought I was ready for any hills on the route because I live in a somewhat hilly neighborhood and all of my runs include some hills. I was wrong.

This was my experience with the hills for what it's worth. I did not have problems with the bridges. Partly because I was expecting these to be a little challenging and there were no surprises. Also they are clear up and down inclines preceded by and followed by flat road. What you see is what you get. What I found most difficult was the last 5 miles. This is a hard part of the race under any conditions, but I found the hills at that point more difficult because I was not prepared for them mentally. When I hit 5th Avenue I was thinking that I would just cruise for a while until I hit the hills in Central Park. What I did not realize was that 5th Ave was a long slow incline for about 2 miles. I lived in Manhattan for 6 years and still live in the area so I have walked those miles many times and would have sworn that the terrain was flat. Nope. Although not steep, the long gradual inclines were harder than I was expecting. And then you hit the hills in Central Park. They are not particularly steep, but there are several of them. At that point in the race, I felt like they went on forever.

So my suggestion would be to make sure that you incorporate hills into your training in some form. I'd also suggest that you try attacking some hills at the end of your long runs to get some experience running hills on tired legs. And just know that the second half of the route is more challenging than the first so prepare yourself mentally for what you will encounter.

Here is an interesting article on how to plan your race:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/new-york-city-marathon-race-strategy/

Docket_Rocket

I live in Florida and I don't have hills to train, so I don't do any (or very few bridges).  When I ran the NYCM in 2011 I had no hill training whatsoever and I didn't find the course very hilly.  Yes, it has bridges but it is not a tough course, IMO.  And that comes from one that does no hill training and lives in 0 elevation.

PS takeahike...nice race list, thanks for sharing, maybe I'll see you at newport.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

The only real problem I had during my first NYCM was the incline up 5th ave on the way to Central Park... It's around mile 22-23 and it's tough to face psychologically (I think especially so since it doesn't really look like an incline... It just seems like you're getting slower for no reason).  Other than that I didn't find the course hard.  A lot of people were walking over the Queensboro bridge but I didn't think it was especially tough, and I didn't do any specific hill training (though I was living in Queens at the time, and running the bridge nearly daily as part of my normal route)

Docket_Rocket

The Queensboro bridge gave me an asthma attack that year, so I might have been one of the walkers of it, ha.

I didn't think those last 3 miles were bad but they ARE uphill.  I just had a bad issue between Miles 20 and 23 due to the asthma attack but by Mile 23, I had enough energy to run the last 3 like a crazy woman. YMMV.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

I've heard the same thing - that the bridges are kind of like hills and I should train for them.  But, I've been told from other people that they didn't even notice the incline on the bridges.  I'll have to look at the course again, but from last year, I recall feeling like the Queensboro was the worst of it so I did a couple of runs that started with a long climb at the beginning...  I really don't like hills but there's a section of our local multi-use trail that is rolling for about 3 miles so I've been including it in my medium and long runs.  It's also the only trail with a water fountain, so, that's another selling point in the summer.  I also live at the crest of my neighborhood, so almost all of my runs end with a 1.5 mile climb.  But, that's pretty much all I plan on doing as far as hill work.