2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Docket_Rocket

I didn't consider the NYCM course tough but there are thigs working against a PR there.  First, the amount of runners.  Second, the crowds.  You have so much to enjoy, it will be a shame if you are only concentrating on a PR. It is a race to enjoy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've PR'd at NYCM a few times, but my current PR is from a different race.  I've generally started at the front of the first coral so there wasn't a huge crowd.

The bridges are a bit steep.  Central Park's little bumps feel big at the end of 20+ miles and depending on where you start, yeah it might be crowded.  Doesn't mean you can't PR but it's obviously slower than a flat course.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

What week is this?  I don't even know anymore.  Maybe I should start counting down...  8 weeks to go?  Last week was a bit of a cut back week in that I only ran 65ish miles (64.9 to be exact).  The temperatures are coming down so almost all the runs were pleasant.  The highlights were 1) I had my first track workout - 6x800 - and ran them at a pretty consistent 3:14, and 2) I ran my first tune-up race today.  The race report is here.  The week ahead looks pretty uneventful but ends with a 24 mile long run next Sunday.  (That's just rude).

Thanks again for the intell on the course everyone.  Happy running!

Docket_Rocket

My week was weird.  I had a great week but I missed 8 miles from my LR.  It was supposed to be a 22 with the last 11 @ MP +10%.  Last year, I missed this run (11 miles of it) due to nausea.  Today, I barely made it to 14 because I called it quits.  64 for the week instead of 70.  Overall, a good week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jfa

Business had me driving over the Verrazanno Bridge today, then into Brooklyn. Got it all scoped out.

HH Advanced Marathon Plan 2 has me doing 3 x 10miles MP on Saturdays, 20 miles LSD on Sundays.

10MP + 19 LSD last weekend felt pretty good.

Keep it rolling folks.

Julia1971

Joe, I'm so jealous of you locals that get to scope out the course.  I'm really excited to run this race I've been training for two separate times now...

I think we're at 7 weeks now?  That's what NYCM is saying on their FB page so I'm going with it...  I did my longest long run of this training cycle today - 24 miles.  It was really, really, important for me to finish because I decided to do my "stunt" goal of running a 100 mile week this week.  Not the best week to attempt it since I had raced a half on Sunday and summer wasn't quite done so there were a couple hot/humid days.  Long story short, I completed the run today and 100.4 miles this week!  Looking ahead, I'm trying to sharpen my speed as cooler temps roll in.

Here's my next question: it's time for me to start looking for a hotel...  Is it better to stay near the start or the finish?  Last year, I was thinking finish since post-marathon you never know how your legs will hold up.  But, as I talk to people, some say it's better to stay near the start since you have to get up super early, the hotels are cheaper in lower Manhattan, and it's only a quick cab ride away.  Thoughts?

lagwagon

Today brings week -7 to a close, so that means 7 weeks to go.  (race is week 0 per Pfitz)

I had a great 22 miler today with last few miles at MP (unintentionally...after 2 fast downhill miles, I kinda just kept rollin on the last 2!).  My legs were pretty fresh this week even after 62 miles.  Last week was a total bust, after my HM on 9/2 I had a very sore hip and groin (minor hernia possibly?) and took a few days off.  While I'm still banged up, the time off really helped and now I'm feeling like I can still race.

This week should be good, I'm looking forward to being home after a few weeks of travel.  Next up 66 mile week with a HM on Sunday.  Will race this one full on, probably in lieu of the MP run next week to avoid overdoing the intensity.

Julia1971

Hang in there LagWagon!  Just a few more weeks of tough training until you'll get to taper.  And, good luck next Sunday.  Let us know how it goes.

Today brings week -7 to a close, so that means 7 weeks to go.  (race is week 0 per Pfitz)

I had a great 22 miler today with last few miles at MP (unintentionally...after 2 fast downhill miles, I kinda just kept rollin on the last 2!).  My legs were pretty fresh this week even after 62 miles.  Last week was a total bust, after my HM on 9/2 I had a very sore hip and groin (minor hernia possibly?) and took a few days off.  While I'm still banged up, the time off really helped and now I'm feeling like I can still race.

This week should be good, I'm looking forward to being home after a few weeks of travel.  Next up 66 mile week with a HM on Sunday.  Will race this one full on, probably in lieu of the MP run next week to avoid overdoing the intensity.

ymmv

I ran a half (Parks) last Sunday and took about a minute off my last year's time. I was not sure going in, whether to make it a race or an MP run. Yesterday (6 days later) I ran the Navy/Air Force Half Marathon and took 4 minutes off my last year's time. Now it's back to my regular sort-of training, with a Metric Marathon (16 mi) club race coming up in a couple of weeks. That one I will do as an MP run. I have no previous races at that distance.

I finally have what I feel to be solid sub-8 minute pace races in all distances up to and including the half marathon. I would like to think that I could manage to race a marathon at sub 9 at least. Geez.

TakeAHike

Joe, I'm so jealous of you locals that get to scope out the course.  I'm really excited to run this race I've been training for two separate times now...

I think we're at 7 weeks now?  That's what NYCM is saying on their FB page so I'm going with it...  I did my longest long run of this training cycle today - 24 miles.  It was really, really, important for me to finish because I decided to do my "stunt" goal of running a 100 mile week this week.  Not the best week to attempt it since I had raced a half on Sunday and summer wasn't quite done so there were a couple hot/humid days.  Long story short, I completed the run today and 100.4 miles this week!  Looking ahead, I'm trying to sharpen my speed as cooler temps roll in.

Here's my next question: it's time for me to start looking for a hotel...  Is it better to stay near the start or the finish?  Last year, I was thinking finish since post-marathon you never know how your legs will hold up.  But, as I talk to people, some say it's better to stay near the start since you have to get up super early, the hotels are cheaper in lower Manhattan, and it's only a quick cab ride away.  Thoughts?

Great job with your 100 mile week.  I work in Manhattan, but I don't have any good advice on hotels.  Our local LRS is running several buses from the suburbs to the start.  You might find some advice on the runnersworld NYCM forum.  There was a good thread there recently about what to bring to the start.  There are a number of locals who post there and have run the NYCM several times.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

YMMV, Back-to-back half marathons is pretty hard core!  Congrats on the course PRs.

TakeAHike, I'll check out that link...  As it stands now, I'm leaning toward lower Manhattan.  People are telling me cabs are easy to get.  I'm going to give my BFF the final say since she's leaving her family behind to come to NYC to cheer for me and might want to crash in my room instead of heading to her mom's place in Queens.  (Yeah, she's lucky to have me as a friend.  Smile )

Docket_Rocket

I have not even booked MCM, least of all NYCM. At least I booked Chicago.

Last time I did the NYCM, I stayed closer to the ferry, in Wall Street.  Worth it for race morning but it took me close to 2 hours to make it back after the race.

Finished the week with close to 68 miles.  Did 18 miles with the last 10 @ MP.  It was 93F and 77DP and they were stupidly hard!  Then did 3 with hubby tonight at 14:30mm, his longest run since coming back from injury.  Life is good!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

ymmv

Last time I did the NYCM, I stayed closer to the ferry, in Wall Street.  Worth it for race morning but it took me close to 2 hours to make it back after the race.

This is a long shot, but do you recall what subway line you took back? My New Yorker DW said "Just walk cross town" when I read your post to her.

hog4life

I'm not running NYCM, but just wanted to say, good luck to everyone that is, and that I wish I was too. I have a running friend/neighbor that is, And that I've been running LR's with her on the weekends, and she is really getting excited.

Docket_Rocket

This is a long shot, but do you recall what subway line you took back? My New Yorker DW said "Just walk cross town" when I read your post to her.

I don't recall but I know I had to change lines at Times Square and then head to Wall Street.  It was either the second to last or the last stop on the Wall Street line.  I was almost right across the ferry, around 1/4 mile away.  The subways are very crowded and sometimes you have to wait until the next one because 45K runners are moving around.

Damaris

Fundraising Page