speed/interval training (Read 720 times)

As some of you know I am fairly (re)new to running and I am looking to get in some speedwork due to wanting to run my Navy 1.5 Mile PRT between 10:00 and 11:00. Right now I am able to get it done in about 12:00-12:30. I want to be able to get my time down by May and I am wondering what all of you think would be the best way to go about this. Thanks Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
    mikeymike

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck from just running more. Right now you're running 2, sometimes 3 times per week. If you can bump that up to 4-5 times per week you'll see a huge difference in your 1.5 mile time. If you're hell bent on adding some speed, I'd keep it fairly simple and easy. Maybe add some 1 minute pickups during your runs. Do 1 minute on / 2 minutes off where on = fast but not sprinting and off = an easy jog. Something like that.

Runners run

Mike's right, you need to run farther before you can run faster. Increased mileage not only adds to your endurance to support speed work, it also toughens your muscles and connective tissues to resist injury. I like to get to 15-20 miles a week before adding any speed work to my routine. You may also want to take a look at your weight. If you can stand to lose few pounds it will contribute a lot toward a faster pace, much more than increased mileage. Tom
          Intervals should rank no higher than 4th on priority list, imo, behind running more, losing weight, and something like Mike described ("Do 1 minute on / 2 minutes off where on = fast but not sprinting and off = an easy jog")
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            You've got an elite group of advisers on this thread Jeremy, can't do much better than mikeymike, figbash and jim24315. Here's a link to a little more food for thought, especially Eddy's injury. There's no chance of hitting your time goal if you come up lame.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Man that is why I love this site. Thanks all for the info and I will def take it to heart and mind. Jeremy
              2009 Goals...:
              -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                Man that is why I love this site. Thanks all for the info and I will def take it to heart and mind. Jeremy
                You already got some great advice. I was checking out your log, though and noticed your goals in your signature. You are SO ready to break 8:00 for the mile. Like whenever you feel recovered from your 15K. If you follow the advice of more miles as given above - which you will have to do to prepare for the MCM - I predict sub-7 in the mile for you this year also.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?