Vo2max (Read 2788 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm so proud right now. (I think I just got something in my eye.)
    I think it's just those sore balls acting up again.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I'm so proud right now. (I think I just got something in my eye.)
      Your little Globby is all growed up now. I think he managed to snatch that pebble from the hippie's hand.
        Your little Globby is all growed up now. I think he managed to snatch that pebble from the hippie's hand.
        I don't think that was a pebble.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

Don't touch my monkey.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have the sudden urge to watch Swingers.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

You're so money and you don't even know it.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You're so monkey and you don't even know it.
                Dude.

Right on Hereford...

I'm not saying I don't believe in VO2max or VO2max What's the difference?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's the difference?
                    One is a theoretical number reflecting your genetic potential that you could get if you were fully trained while the other is a measure of your current state.
                    xor

One is a theoretical number reflecting your genetic potential that you could get if you were fully trained while the other is a measure of your current state.
                      Huh. I see "VO2Max". Then I see the exact same thing, "VO2Max". Having read my Jack Daniels, I know where you are going with this, Trent. But I'm with Dakota. What I saw in that post is basically "I'm not saying I don't believe in apples or apples".

Purdey

Self anointed title

Seriously. I don't care what my VO2max is. Knowing it does nothing for me. Now, doing "VO2max training" (i.e. hard intervals up to about 5 minute duration) in the latter part of a training cycle will raise my VO2max. But more importantly, it will make me faster. The number on the stopwatch at the end of the race matters. Maybe I'm arguing semantics. I'm not saying I don't believe in VO2max or VO2max -- quite the opposite. Same with lactate threshold. I believe in the kind of training that improves those numbers. I just don't care about the numbers. I don't need to know what my VO2max is. Or what my LT is, for that matter. I just need to know that workouts targeted for those systems are valuable, if done intelligently. But I think for most runners, actually getting VO2max or LT tested is a waste of time and money.
                        Yeh. That's fine mate. It's just that you said that VO2 Max was irrelevant. You did not say "I don't care what my VO2 Max is." I was just wondering why. Now you've clarified it, all is fine. I refuse to believe that VO2 Max is irrelevant. There are more important factors, but it is not irrelevant.

Prince of Fatness

What's the difference?
                          Forget it he's rolling.

Not at it at all. 

VO2max is irrelevant. The training that you do to improve VO2max is relevant, not because it raises your VO2max, but because it makes you faster.
                            What training do you do specifically to improve VO2max? What are the specifics? Cheers.
                            Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes. Globule, I'd like to know that too.