Knees... something to worry about? (Read 413 times)

I just started running again yesterday after a few weeks off following my last meet of the spring season. Near the beginning of my run, my knees began to hurt like hell. They were really killing me. I had to stop early they hurt so bad (I did try to HTFU, but to no avail). Is this normal if I haven't run in a few weeks? Should I be concerned? Was I maybe running too fast (7:33 pace)? My knees have always cracked when I walk, but it never hurt me. I should also mention that it does not hurt when I WALK, but it does when I run, or, after that run, when I stand up using my knees. I just really don't want to do something that might risk my next three years of running, and beyond (whether or not I make a college team, it will continue). If it is something that may need to be checked out, I'm not going to be a "hero" (as my team calls it) and "run through the pain" and injure it. I'm the type of guy who runs/plays/whatever through just about anything, but this just feels different than any other pain I have ever had. Any and all help, as always, well and truly appreciated.
    PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It could be your pace if it had been a while since you ran. Were you running on the same kind of surface as usual (ie. pavement) or different (ie. sidewalk instead of track)? How are your shoes? Are they worn and not giving you enough support? Where do your knees hurt? Inside, outside, front, etc?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Same surface, and the sneakers were the same, but they are pretty new anyway (not even 100 miles). They hurt mostly under the kneecap (or patella, as I like to say).
        PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season