Zwift, anyone? (Read 224 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm getting (well, I already have, but still need to pick up a few things to make it work) a Wahoo KICKR for Christmas. The hubby got one, too (he's an only child and his mom is as much a fitness gear junkie as he is, so he didn't have too much trouble convincing her that we both need one, when they were recently on sale).

Anyhow, I believe the run program is still in beta testing. Has anyone given it a try, yet? I think all it really requires is a footpod and HRM. I have a Garmin footpod, but we'll likely pick up an Apple TV for the basement for me to run Zwift on (DH has a dedicated computer and monitor that he is using, I would use our existing basement TV, then we could ride together).

I'm still trying to sort out which doohickies will work with what. I'll need an HRM, but am trying to avoid chest band ones. My sports bras all have underwires and I have a high waist and narrow ribcage, so I envision a chest strap creeping down to my waistline. Years ago we bought my MIL a Scosche armband HRM. That seems like the most doable solution, there. I don't think the HRM on my Garmin Vivoactive HR will transmit (and eventually I'm likely going to ditch the flaky-cakes Garmin for an Apple watch).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

I haven't but would be curious to hear from someone who has...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I haven't but would be curious to hear from someone who has...

The Zwift Run beta testing is free...I'll be curious to see what pricing will be like once it's in regular release. Not sure if it will be included with the bike version or its own entity. I hope it won't be extra -- it's not the cheapest thing, but at least it's a month-to-month membership. I don't know if I'd keep my account active year-round. If the weather is crappy in the Summer, then I'm inclined to take a rest day, rather than workout indoors.

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

I guess I haven't done enough research on it to figure it out. I also have the garmin foot pod and should look into it this winter as the weather gets less than stellar here in Minnesota.

Rob

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess I haven't done enough research on it to figure it out. I also have the garmin foot pod and should look into it this winter as the weather gets less than stellar here in Minnesota.

Winter is pretty much starting tonight, in MI!

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

So, just doing some research on this -- is there an adapter that is needed so that the standard ant+ foot pod can communicate with zwift? I was trying to connect using my iPhone and it doesn't find the device? Or is there some other trick I am missing?

Rob

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ant+ stuff *should* be able to play nice with Zwift, but not via most phones, just through smart treadmill or trainer or a computer running Zwift. With a standard treadmill Bluetooth stuff is the recommended form of transfer. I suspect that’s the issue. I think that was one of the the reasons that the latest Scosche armband HRM was looking ideal...Bluetooth running stride/cadence in addition to the HRM.

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Ant+ stuff *should* be able to play nice with Zwift, but not via most phones, just through smart treadmill or trainer or a computer running Zwift. With a standard treadmill Bluetooth stuff is the recommended form of transfer. I suspect that’s the issue. I think that was one of the the reasons that the latest Scosche armband HRM was looking ideal...Bluetooth running stride/cadence in addition to the HRM.

So a computer with zwift is going to be able to communicate with the foot pod?

Rob

Anonymous Guest

It should. Before I got my smart trainer, I used an ant+ speed/cadence sensor on my dumb trainer and it worked fine.

For running I use the Milestone pod. It's bluetooth and was only $25 or $30. TBH, the TM and Zwift isn't nearly as fun as the smart trainer and bike on Zwift. At least for me. But it's better than notZwift.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Karen, what are you using for HRM? I was wondering how the TM beta of Zwift is...I don't know anyone else who has used it.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, I'm totally mind-boggled by all of the different stuff I'm going to be trying to mentally keep track of for workouts, in the near future...Zwift for indoor workouts, Garmin for the bike outdoors, Apple watch for indoor and outdoor runs...trying to figure out how everything will work together. Will the Apple watch work for HRM and running pace/cadence indoors, or will it not transmit to Zwift/Wahoo trainer? I can't quite wrap my brain around stuff and DH can't answer a lot of my questions, since he doesn't run or use Apple devices. We'll almost certainly get me set up on an Apple TV as my Zwift computer. We have one upstairs and it works really well. WAY more reliable than the Chromecast, so it will be nice to have that downstairs, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

It should. Before I got my smart trainer, I used an ant+ speed/cadence sensor on my dumb trainer and it worked fine.

For running I use the Milestone pod. It's bluetooth and was only $25 or $30. TBH, the TM and Zwift isn't nearly as fun as the smart trainer and bike on Zwift. At least for me. But it's better than notZwift.

Mine doesn't seem to recognize that there is a foot pod available to pair with.

Rob

Anonymous Guest

Karen, what are you using for HRM? I was wondering how the TM beta of Zwift is...I don't know anyone else who has used it.

Nothing. I don't train with one. My Garmin has HR, but it's really just something I look at after the fact.

As for how everything works together....good luck. We both use our MacBooks connected to a big screen TV for zwift and I use my Garmin for outdoor runs. The only place everything shows up together is Strava, since I have both Zwift and Garmin Connect connected to my Strava account.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

CalBears

I used Ant+, Garmin FootPod, HRM and  910XT watch with dumb TM couple of weeks ago - took me few minutes to make it work. Worked fine but I will not be using it again - not sure what the purpose of it - the whole experience of checking that man running on a computer made me feel even worse than just plain running on a TM (which is pretty bad too). I could see some value when using Zwift fr runners with a smart TM - changing incline, decline, speed, but for a dumb TM it is totally useless just adding to excruciating boredom, imho...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only place everything shows up together is Strava, since I have both Zwift and Garmin Connect connected to my Strava account.

I kinda hate Strava...but I may have to dust that account off. I lost a bunch of QOMs during the cancer BS...I hadn't used Strava in a few years, before that, but it just added insult to injury.

~ Sarah Kay