My running device conundrum. (Read 201 times)

Runningnoob

I've been struggling with the various distances my devices have reported.  I started running soon after I purchased an Apple watch and was using that.  I decided to check it's accuracy by using mapmyrun on my phone also.  Well, the mapmyrun app was reporting more accurate distances than the apple watch was for awhile.  I drove my typical course in my car and also confirmed the distance by using "runmyroute" website.  The Apple watch was consistently short.  I eventually quit using the AW and used mapmyrun on my phone for all my runs.  Well today I decided to "recalibrate" my Apple watch after the software has been updated a few times.

Today I ran roughly 4 miles and stopped as soon as mapmyrun said I hit the 4 mile mark.  I looked at my Apple watch and it said i was at 3.89 miles.  I thought the watch was probably off again.  I plugged the route into the runmyroute website and it actually confirmed the apple watch was correct.

The reason I've been playing with each of these is because I've been trying to justify the purchase of a decent running watch.  I was looking at the garmin 235 and the tom tom spark(I don't want to wear a strap for HR monitoring).  I really want a watch that has GPS and is able to display my current pace at all times.  After doing some research and giving my AW another shot, I'm thinking it's best to just stick with my current setup.

the TOM TOM spark seems to best fit what I want in a running watch, but there's still one hiccup.  I always listen to music while I run.  I also get tired of the same playlists after a few runs.  I know I can load music on the TOMTOM, but it would be music that I actually own right?  My current setup is to run with the iPhone in an armband and the apple watch.  This lets me use mapmyrun and I can control it with my watch.  This, more importantly, let's me listen to playlists I've created from my apple music subscription.  By subscribing to apple music, I can change up my music every run if I want.  I'm also not buying new music all the time.  So there's my issue LOL.  I'm thinking my only option will be hoping  that the 2nd generation AW will actually come with a built in gps and I can sync the music to it.  I would love to ditch the phone eventually.

an amazing likeness

Sounds to me like you're using over $1K of iphone + A-watch to get substandard data collection and music streaming. A dedicated running GPS is going to be more accurate in the running environment than the general purpose gps in your smartphone.

You didn't ask a question, but the solution to your 1st world dilemma is clear -- get yourself a Garmin Forerunner (<$200) and stream music with your iPhone strapped on you, or with the music player of your choice.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

FFS.

Runners run

mojo69

Check out the timex ironman running watch...it has gps and bluetooth music both....only have to use one device, but it does have a larger price point.

Here's what you do. Buy a ham. Take a knife. -- sorry, wrong thread.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            Runningnoob

Sounds to me like you're using over $1K of iphone + A-watch to get substandard data collection and music streaming. A dedicated running GPS is going to be more accurate in the running environment than the general purpose gps in your smartphone.

You didn't ask a question, but the solution to your 1st world dilemma is clear -- get yourself a Garmin Forerunner (<$200) and stream music with your iPhone strapped on you, or with the music player of your choice.

I agree with ya. It's definitely a first world problem.  My issue is I'm trying to make existing equipment work since I have invested a good deal of money in them.  I love my AW for the daily grind.  I was under the impression a gps was a gps. I didn't think a running watches gps would be better than an iPhones.  I was hoping, if I got a dedicated running watch, I'd be able to ditch the iPhone during the run. Like ya said, first world problems.

an amazing likeness

I was under the impression a gps was a gps. I didn't think a running watches gps would be better than an iPhones.

GPS implementations vary tremendously from device to device -- the hardware used is different (chipsets, antennaes) and each is optimized to solve a different use pattern.  You could run carrying a Garmin Nuvi automobile GPS device and a Garmin Forerunner running GPS device and you'd have each device reporting different speeds, as a stupid example. Same manufacturer.

Anyway, the software which consumes and processes the output from the GPS device is really the key. Runkeeper on your iPhone will give you one data set, another app on the same iPhone will give you another data set.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Runningnoob

GPS implementations vary tremendously from device to device -- the hardware used is different (chipsets, antennaes) and each is optimized to solve a different use pattern.  You could run carrying a Garmin Nuvi automobile GPS device and a Garmin Forerunner running GPS device and you'd have each device reporting different speeds, as a stupid example. Same manufacturer.

Anyway, the software which consumes and processes the output from the GPS device is really the key. Runkeeper on your iPhone will give you one data set, another app on the same iPhone will give you another data set.

Makes sense. Thanks.

delicate flower

I think most runners that listen to music while running keep the GPS device and music device separate.  The all-in-one devices seem like "jack of all trades, master of none."  I use a Garmin 920, and an older Nano for music for the rare times I use it.  

Personally I would only use mapmyrun to get a rough estimate of a route's mileage.  I'd trust the Apple watch before I'd trust mapmyrun.  I've been through four Garmin watches in the five years I've been running (I'm a whore) and have never had a problem with the GPS distance.      

<3

Don't think.

Just run.

Ready, go.

kcam

Was there a question buried in there somewhere?

Runningnoob

Was there a question buried in there somewhere?

Haha. Sorry, there were no direct questions. It kind of morphed into thinking out loud on a public forum in the hopes of someone suggesting some dream watch that I haven't found yet.

I sell running armbands so naturally I'm gonna say get one of those. What I will stress is that whatever you do, do what's best for you i.e don't copy someone else who wears the expensive watch or what not. The most important thing is your comfort and what can help you perform better.

Runningnoob

I sell running armbands so naturally I'm gonna say get one of those. What I will stress is that whatever you do, do what's best for you i.e don't copy someone else who wears the expensive watch or what not. The most important thing is your comfort and what can help you perform better.

I actually wouldn't ditch my current armband because of the music factor along with my Apple Music subscription. Think it's a dan force or something.