Still battling injury after 6 months... (Read 1057 times)

Now that was a bath...

I am now running between 4 and 5 miles on alternate days and I am only JUST keeping myself off the bench despite many preventative measures. The pain is just above my ankle (same place as the stress fracture was but a different pain) and it starts as a dull ache with an intense hot spot when you press in the right place. Could be tendonitis. Could be Shin splints but seems too low. Could be an unhealed fracture. Could be a genetic defect (but I doubt it as I usually lean towards perfection Tongue) My right leg hurts if I run any faster than 9:40 miles and if I run on consecutive days I end up injured again! I have noticed that I am pronating slightly on my right foot and when I get towards the end of the run I have to run on the outside edge of my foot to prevent the pain. So, today I popped out and got some over the counter orthotics from Shoe Science. They videoed me running in my shoes then gave me a set of supportive insoles which definitely improved my problem. I am praying that they help. If not I will go back to the Podiatrist and get his opinion on whether I would benefit from custom orthotics. Frankly I would do anything to say goodbye to this problem! Tomorrow is a rest day as I ran today and then I will try a short run with the orthotic the day after. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My right leg hurts if I run any faster than 9:40 miles and if I run on consecutive days I end up injured again!
      Hmmm...I think I see an answer! I hope the orthotics help, too. You've spent enough time on that bench, already. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

But I want to race Kirsten Cry. Tell me, how do you 'race' when you are running purposely slow to protect an injury? I want to run like the wind and the wind isn't blowing at 9:40 miles for me. All this slow running that I am doing and all the injury management techniques are holding this one in check but not healing it completely. I reckon I am running close to 10 minute miles at the moment and it's not just conversational it's practically operatic. Somewhere out there, there has to be a solution that doesn't mean I trade off speed, distance and regularity. If the devil logs on, my soul is available. It's a fair trade I think! Claire xxx
          I reckon I am running close to 10 minute miles at the moment and it's not just conversational it's practically operatic. Claire xxx
          Sounds like you are doing some great base building, that is only going to help you when you do get your problem worked out. What is PT telling you about the pain you are still having? Honestly, I don't like your description of an "intense hot spot when you press in the right place". Is it exactly the same kind of hot spot as before? When do you get the ache/pain? During, while or hours after your runs? Did you ever get a bone scan or MRI done? Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I think Cheryl is on to something--have you told your doc about the issue? Might be time for them to give it more attention...just to be certain that it's nothing serious and to maybe give you more recommendations of what you can/should be doing to help it heal better. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

My PT says I have a dent in the bone at the point of the pain which is probably just a genetic thing. It may however make that area of my leg prone to injury. I haven't seen the PT for a long time. Maybe it's time for another appointment! Claire xxx
                My PT says I have a dent in the bone at the point of the pain which is probably just a genetic thing. It may however make that area of my leg prone to injury. I haven't seen the PT for a long time. Maybe it's time for another appointment! Claire xxx
                I'm surprised about the dent - is it at the location of your stress fracture? I still have bumps over all of mine - but they are much smaller than they were and I think I will always have them. I would think a dent would be more genetic or the result of some kind of blow rather than a stress fracture - but I'm just guessing. If you can, ask about a bone stimulator - worth a shot. I was really fortunate to get one, and I think it did make a difference. If you are not already doing it, maybe look into glucosamine and calcium supplements. I am taking 1 gm of glucosamine and 1500 mg of Calcium with my doc's approval. Hang in there, Claire - you are awesome for sticking to your program.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

madness baby

Maybe I will add on that trip next month, and I'll stop by your place and we'll go for a run. I'll huff and puff at 9:40 miles and then you'll feel the wind! Wink Seriously, though, I'm glad you're getting some good runs in. Are you taking rest days? Keep healing, and stay slow. Smile
                  deb
                    I have noticed that I am pronating slightly on my right foot and when I get towards the end of the run I have to run on the outside edge of my foot to prevent the pain. Claire xxx
                    Claire, I have been thinking about your problem and came back to reread this post. I think I missed this last time. It seems like you are saying that you notice a tendency to pronate (ankle is tilting to the inside) but since this causes pain you are actively supinating (ankle tilting to the outside) to run on the edge of your foot? If this is something you do only towards the end of your run - it may not be something that a gait analysis would pick up.This is not a good thing - because over supinating is reducing your ability to absorb shock when you run - the very last thing you need to be doing when you are recovering from an injury; and you are forcing yourself to run against your natural gait. This could be putting all kinds of stress on those little supporting muscles that are now being asked to do the job of much larger muscles. It might be worthwhile discussing this with whoever is doing your re-eval. Fingers still crossed Smile

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Finished!

Claire: I too hope you get news during your re-eval. I only wish I could run an operatic pace of 9:40 Wink I'm wogging along at a very slow 15:00+ while I continue on trying to figure out my own injury while training using low heart rate method. Keep us posted, we're all pulling for your return to speediness!
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Along for the Ride

Claire, I have been thinking about your problem and came back to reread this post. I think I missed this last time. It seems like you are saying that you notice a tendency to pronate (ankle is tilting to the inside) but since this causes pain you are actively supinating (ankle tilting to the outside) to run on the edge of your foot? If this is something you do only towards the end of your run - it may not be something that a gait analysis would pick up.This is not a good thing - because over supinating is reducing your ability to absorb shock when you run - the very last thing you need to be doing when you are recovering from an injury; and you are forcing yourself to run against your natural gait. This could be putting all kinds of stress on those little supporting muscles that are now being asked to do the job of much larger muscles. It might be worthwhile discussing this with whoever is doing your re-eval. Fingers still crossed Smile
                        Claire - all the bes wishes from me too. My 2 cents (unrelated injury): I noticed all kinds of changes coming back from my back injury. The disc herniation had caused some muscle weakness on my right side. The muscles are now back to equal strength and the paralysis is gone, but I still felt like I have 2 different sides running against each other ... I had shin splints. Switched out shoes, removed insoles and rested. I was put into a more neutral shoe (I overpronate). Then I started to have peroneus tendon issues. Bad. I had to walk on my tip-toes in the mornings after runs. Went to a specialty shoe store and was fitted with off-the shelf insoles that support my outer arch of the foot more. The guy recommended some good work shoes and put me back in some motion control running shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) with insoles for added support. The peroneus thing was so bad at times that my ankle looked like I had rolled it ... I also had deep tissue massage on my tight calves and now massage with "The stick". I am getting better and feel I am returning to normal. My left and right side are cooperating and running together again, the shins are fine and the tendon is less and less pissed off. ... What I want to say, don't give up! Think outside the box, get different opinions, try other things ... I also don't want to sound wise, because I don't know exactly what all you have done already. I just wish you a speedy recovery and hope you can return to quality running soon!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Now that was a bath...

Loving all the tips, well wishes and possibilities being offered at the moment. Tomorrow is assessment day and I have lots of ammunition to go with. Cheryl, that's a valid point about my gait. I never thought of the fact that gait analysis would miss delayed reactions! Gabe, ouch for your running issue. That sounds painful! It's really tough trying to figure out how much pain is normal during the return from injury but I think I am slowly learning when my body is adapting and when it is screaming at me to stop. Deb - thanks girl. I am doing 'all the right things' and I know that if I can keep up the good work then eventually I will find my solution. I'll let you all know how tomorrow goes! Claire xxx

madness baby

Now I really wish I were making it to NZ- we would be forced to go out rather than do something healthy like run together! I'll be thinking about you! Take some data for your dr- that's what I do, and they look at me like I'm crazy. It's kind of fun to have people think you're crazy, though. Plus you get what you came in for. You could graph it out and everything. Well, that's a little over the top probably. They'd be thinking about you all the time until they figured out how to help you! Wink
                            deb