Starting to run... (Read 918 times)

bigpones

Hello, I am starting to run again and it has been about 15 years since I last ran for exercise, excluding the cops ha ha ha. I just purchased my first pair of running shoes that I had fitted at a local running store and already ran two miles in them and it felt great! I am curious as to what a good beginners running program would look like, how often a week, how much and when should I increase my mileage etc... Any websites or comments that you may have would be great. Oh and I decided to run again because I am making a major lifestyle change to exercise and be healthier. I am setting exercise goals and would like to train for a 5 or 10k run. Thanks
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi! We just talked about that a few days ago - check out http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=011f53a3289b4c878d794d9524522528 - I'd linked a few programs, and there are a few good suggestions there for keeping motivated. Sounds like you're off to a great start! Welcome [back] to running! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, there! I cannot recommend this plan enough--it worked for me! Big grin Couch-to-5k Running Plan What kind of shoes did you get? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah, that was one of the two I'd linked on the other email. Good plan. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

bigpones

Thanks for the help and I will check all of those suggestions out! The type of shoes I bought are "Brooks Glycerin 4" and they feel great!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those shoes look pretty similar in function to the New Balance 1000s I just ordered (cushiony and for neutral runners). Do they come in widths?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bigpones

I am not sure if they come in more than one width or not. The dude at the store just played with my feet on the foot measureing device and out of thin air came these shoes and some others to try on. The first ones where tiger asics and where great but when I tried the brooks on they felt wayyyyyy better. The tigers where like running on down pillows and the brooks where like running on cotton pillows. Now I much prefer down pillows for my head but not for my feet. I ran today for two miles and to my suprise and no trouble I ran a 9 minute mile! It was tanfastic!