Question # 1 (and # 2) (ala the Runner's World survey) (Read 1048 times)

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? 1: 4 2: 30-40 depending on the time of year. 3. Intermediate
    "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
      1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced?
      1) When not injured, 3-5. 2) Again, when not injured, 20-30. Bonus: Beginner. Only a couple of races under my belt & still working on speed. Maybe next year I'll advance to beginning intermediate?
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      JakeKnight

(Just a brief comment here--I have friends in my age group that run 60+ miles per week, and do not run any faster than I do in races. Do not misunderstand--I am not saying I am particularly fast. I do believe, however, that the quality/type of the run counts as much if not more than the distance. When I was (much) younger, and running for the Marines, I could run 6 days/week, with total mileage of 80-90/week. However, as you age, recovery time becomes far more important. And, at 55, I can still Boston-qualify for someone 15 years younger. So, those who are not putting in "high" mileage--you don't have to. You do, however, need a lot of 'base' mileage. And, I run a lot of hills. Nearly every day.) Ok. Not so brief. So sue me.
        No argument here. I've read the research. Here's a great article from the equally great Jack Daniels that covers the principle of diminishing returns and the accelerating likelihood of injury or setback. Notice the graph. Almost all of the benefit comes from the first 40-50 miles per week; after 60 miles per week, your gains are minimal and your odds of a set back are expanding exponentially. http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-june-00.htm Not that I've never run a 7-day week or too many miles for my own good - but I do know I'm doing it for the immediate fun of the run, rather than for any benefit (and I know it's a risk).

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Which reminds me - here's my answers to the question: 1) 30-40 miles per week 2) 4-5 days per week 3) Still a beginner. Maybe I'll give in to conceit and say I'm an advanced beginner. By my way of thinking, the label ought to come from experience and knowledge, rather than speed or miles per week. After all, as a 20-year old Marine recruit I could do a sub-20 5-k with exactly zero training. I was faster because I was younger, not because I was more "advanced." Someday, maybe, I'll actually be faster, know why I'm faster, and be training to get faster yet. Then I'll be intermediate, maybe. One of the funny things about this question in the survey is that people REALLY hated to call themselves beginners. Tongue

You'll ruin your knees!

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) hmmm... 0-7 days. Not many days go by that I don't intend to run, but life gets in the way (balance, balance, balance). Not a single day goes by that I don't think about running. 2) How many miles a week do you run? 0-110 (min-max), counting races. If I look at the last two years, prolly avg 30ish? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? ...all of the above? Just the other day, I was a beginner. I had the pleasure of running with a gentleman who has been at running trails and ultras for may years. He has enjoyed quite a bit of success, winning a number of ultras and marathons. I believe he has several finishes in 50 mile events under 7 hours! I felt like I was at a seminar (read: beginner!)! Another time, I was running a trail 50K and I happened across a young lady who had ventured onto the trails for the first time. We were at 22ish miles (with 9 to go) and she clearly had "hit the wall". She had gone out at her marathon pace and was unaccustomed to the differences between the trail and the street...she declared her intent to quit, to drop out. I came along side her and decided that her experience (and mine, as it turned out) was more important than my 50K time. I walked with her, talked with her (coach, coach, coach) and before she knew it, we had walked/jogged/deathmarched 3 miles and she showed signs that she had moved past the wall...I challenged that she wouldn't think anything about a 6 mile run (how much we had left in the race), and she said, "you're right, let's finish this sucker!"...we crossed the finish line together...(read: advanced). Both of these experiences are highlights for me... I hope I never reach a point where I am "advanced" and stay that way. Part of what moves me so much about this "hobby" is what I learn. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Scout7

1) 5 - 6 (depends on what's going on) 2) Usually around 30-35, although there's a couple of higher mileage weeks (45-50). Bonus) I would consider myself an intermediate runner. I used to run more in HS, and some in college, then dropped it off, and am now coming back into it this year. Although, I have a fair amount of racing experience, and read A LOT.
                1) 3 days a week 2) 20 miles a week 3) Begineer 4) boxers (Oh, wait...wrong site)
                JakeKnight

Without further ado ... the answers from the first Runner's World survey questions: 1) How many days a week do you run? 1 day - 1% (dorks ... who are these people?) 2 days - 3% 3 days - 21% 4 days - 31% 5 days - 26% 6 days - 15% 7 days - 3% 2) How many miles per week do you run? Less than 10 miles - 6% 10 - 19 miles - 27% 20 - 29 miles - 35% 30 - 39 miles - 18% 40+ miles - 14% And the bonus question - what kind of runner are you? Beginner - 14% Intermediate - 63% Advanced - 23% 86% of you are intermediate are advanced? Sure you are, kids. Sure you are. Cool Next question to follow shortly. And, uh, Allen ..... I couldn't find info on underwear preference. Although I'd guess most male runners prefer a little support. But I'm just guessing. Tongue

1. 4 days a week 2. 20-30, depending on whether or not I'm training for a race. 3. Intermediate. I actually finished my last race in the first half of the finishers (433 out of 959). shocking!
                    bas

1) Three days. I would like to run more often, but knee & achilles tendon prevent me 2) 20 to 25 km, 12.5 to 15.5 miles to you. See 1) Age (55) has also something to do with it. I find I need the time to recover. 3) Definitely beginner. I started running seriously enough to check my watch in 2004. I see other people achieving routineley what I still dream about. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

My dogs are fast, not me

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 4 2) How many miles a week do you run? 12-15 BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? Beginner. I've been running about 2.5 months.

Robin