Thanks Dean, this is very helpful. (Read 215 times)

BeeRunB

I love articles where the title says everything, and you don't have to read it.

Thanks for posting.

Joann Y

I just can't believe that he bothered to take the time and energy to log onto the computer to tell us that he likes to train at different times of day, works for him. That he thinks running shorter runs twice a day instead of one longer run is better, cause he thinks that seems right. And that it would be fun to run at midnight cause zombies. That summarizes it. Maybe it's worse that I'm taking the time and energy to be annoyed.

mikeymike

You can't believe Karno The Magnificent took the time to promote himself?

Runners run

Joann Y

Now he can hit snooze and go back to bed as the checks come rolllling in.

A Saucy Wench

1+1 = 3....2+2 = 6....3+3 = 9

This so explains why I never feel the need to run more than 7 miles in marathon training.

Oh and hell, Hood to Coast.  if 1+1 = 3 then 1+1+1 = 6   and 6+6+6 = 36 - ultra training!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I don't know, I like finally reading an article that caters to my running sensibilities:

"Diversify" your training by  . . . not some other bullshit thing like pilates , stretching, or adv pogo stick . . . no, diversity by running (that same thing you love to do) at different times of the day.

Yep.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

Did he mention running with a backpack? That's diverse.

Joann Y

I don't know, I like finally reading an article that caters to my running sensibilities:

"Diversify" your training by  . . . not some other bullshit thing like pilates , stretching, or adv pogo stick . . . no, diversity by running (that same thing you love to do) at different times of the day.

Yep.

True. Maybe Dean is a genius after all!

Realizing I didn't have to stretch made all the difference for me. Never seemed to do anything but demotivate me to even get started.

Joann Y

1+1 = 3....2+2 = 6....3+3 = 9

This so explains why I never feel the need to run more than 7 miles in marathon training.

Oh and hell, Hood to Coast.  if 1+1 = 3 then 1+1+1 = 6   and 6+6+6 = 36 - ultra training!

I like your thinking!

BeeRunB

I loved Dean's first book, Ultramarathon Man. His second one, not so much, because I think he held back and over-censored himself, thus it was boring. Beyond his writing and charity work, I could care less. Mainly, because there is no substance to most of it. There's substance to his actual running---it is what it is--the stats are the stats. But the Dean-machine is just an image that he's selling, instead of something worthwhile, like a book. In a way he's running on fumes. In a perfect world, he would have just kept writing good truthful running books, and there would barely be any backlash about his self-promotion. You see Bob Dylan hawking for the car industry in a commercial during the superbowl, you don't mind so much. He has a great body of work, and still puts out interesting albums. If Bob wants to do Victoria Secret, I'm gleeful. Being famous because you write books is hard to tear down (unless of course you come from a snooty literary circle who downplays a writer just because they're popular). That's my wish for the perfect Dean in a perfect world. Give me more good books, buddy.

some call me Tim

"He used to be a caveman,
                        but now he's a runner.
                        Unfrozen Caveman Runner!"

You can't believe Karno The Magnificent took the time to promote himself?

He's on a tear.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Joann Y

Your world frightens and confuses me! Your garmins, your poptarts. Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to put down my pizza and run off into the hills, or wherever, because I'm crazy like that. Sometimes when my garmin is beeping to let me know I'm out of my heart rate zone, I think "Did little demons get in there?". I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. I'm reassured by knowing my resting heart rate is only 39 beats per minute. But there is one thing I do know, when a man like me - with a VO2 max of 65 and a 3.6% body fat percentage - runs 50 marathons in 50 days, runs Death Valley in 120 degree temperatures, and runs 350 continuous miles, I deserve to be exalted by Men's Fitness as one of the fittest men on the planet!

some call me Tim

^marvelous!