Vaporflys soon to be banned! (Read 368 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Things are moving along at the speed of bureaucracy.

VaporFly 4% and Next will not be banned, and no current technology or materials available to the public will be banned until after the Tokyo Olympics. After the Olympics, World Athletics will be updating the rules regarding shoe technology and materials. It is unlikely any shoe available to the public NOW will be banned in the future, but some shoes in development may not meet new regulations and requirements (ie; AlphaFly).

I couldn't find any info or rumors about the AlphaFly being allowed in the 2020 Olypics, but I suspect it won't because "currently available to the public".

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/28/controversial-nike-vaporflys-escape-ban

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Update and short term conclusion to the very important issue; far more important than impeachment hearings and Corona Virus:

VaporFly will NOT be banned!

The official report came out as expected; current shoe tech will be allowed, but future developments will be inspected to see if they comply with new shoe technology rules. Namely, limit on stack height of 40mm, and inclusion of no more than one midsole plate.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/31/world-athletics-seal-approval-controversial-nike-vaporfly-shoes-athletics

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also....shoes must be available for retail purchase for 4 months before being allowed in competition.

The "openly available to all" requirement could have been constructed more definitively.

• If a shoe is available for sale only in Japan, is it considered available to all?
          • If a shoe is priced at $5K is it available to all?
          • If a shoe is available only in men's sizes 8 and up, is it considered available to both sexes?
          • Does 4 months mean 4 calendar months? Or 16 weeks?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

The Brooks version, available soon. Basically what Desi wore at Boston 2018. 

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-brooks-hyperion-elite-could-beat-nike-vaporflys/

Dave

Also....shoes must be available for retail purchase for 4 months before being allowed in competition.

The "openly available to all" requirement could have been constructed more definitively.

• If a shoe is available for sale only in Japan, is it considered available to all?
              • If a shoe is priced at $5K is it available to all?
              • If a shoe is available only in men's sizes 8 and up, is it considered available to both sexes?
              • Does 4 months mean 4 calendar months? Or 16 weeks?

Good points. I think the fast Speedo swimsuit was banned from competition because it was deemed too expensive to be "available to all".

And don't forget about sponsored athletes; if they are sponsored by Fila (I knew some dick who was), they probably won't be allowed to wear VaporFly by their sponsors. So, that shoe is not literally "available to all". And like Olde Tyme Stock Car racing, maybe only X number of the shoes have to be manufactured and offered for sale to be considered "available to all" or "stock". What would that number be? 100? 500? 10,000 pairs?

All these fine points could be argued.

Marky_Mark_17

And don't forget about sponsored athletes; if they are sponsored by Fila (I knew some dick who was), they probably won't be allowed to wear VaporFly by their sponsors. So, that shoe is not literally "available to all". 

It would be available to them if they hadn’t chosen to be sponsored by a competing brand and signed an agreement with a bunch of exclusivity clauses in it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

There is a claim that the AlphaFly is also going to be legal for competition this year. I understood the new shoe regulations to limit stack height to 40mm and to not include more than one plate (plus one to attach spikes to for track spikes). AlphaFly has 3 plates.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/06/sport/nike-alphafly-shoe-running-spt-intl/index.html

Image result for alpha fly

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

A reporter from Sports illustrated confirmed they were altered to make it only 1 plate. So they are alphafly, but not exactly what he wore in the 1:59.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

A reporter from Sports illustrated confirmed they were altered to make it only 1 plate. So they are alphafly, but not exactly what he wore in the 1:59.

Ah! Thanks. I had not seen that article yet.

The whole design with the airpods seems like it would be very hard to construct WITHOUT multiple plates. Maybe they connected them all at the toe so they could call them a "single" plate?

Anyway, with all this free advertising because of the Press, they will sell like hotcakes. Other than the price, I'D get a pair!

It would be interesting to to run in the spikes, too.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have not seen any exact plans of the insides on the "legal version", but my guess is that they kept the middle plate and extended it to the back and the rest is foam and maybe only 1 pod high (or maybe two stacked), with two pods total left and right side. What I saw just nike confirming the pic you have has a single plate un like the original version.

Ah! Thanks. I had not seen that article yet.

The whole design with the airpods seems like it would be very hard to construct WITHOUT multiple plates. Maybe they connected them all at the toe so they could call them a "single" plate?

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

100%. I am hoping new balance does a plate version of their rebel or propel which is what I run in.

Anyway, with all this free advertising because of the Press, they will sell like hotcakes. Other than the price, I'D get a pair!

It would be interesting to to run in the spikes, too.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

100%. I am hoping new balance does a plate version of their rebel or propel which is what I run in.

I won a pair of Rebels in the NB Mile challenge (actual prize was NB5280 but I'd never have much use for them so I asked for the Rebel). It's a great shoe from the fews runs I've taken in them. I believe they DO have a plate, but it's more for stabilization than propulsion/energy return.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I think just a small plastic peice in the forefoot....they are my race and interval shoe.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k