Spikes with spikes removed, are they any good? (Read 57 times)

running metalhead

Just curious. 

I find a lot of really cool spikes at dirt-cheap prices (~19 Euro-bucks) and I was wondering if they are any good if you remove the spikes. 
    Anybody has tried that? is it possible to remove the spikes at all without using a Dremel? They look nice for cross-country running, specially for the terrain we have here: Humid woods with a lot of leafs and soft ground.

Note that I do most of my mileage in New Balance MT10 so that I am perfectly fine without cushion (I am also find with cushion, mind you).

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

jc63

I think it would depend on the spike. Some spikes, like those for shorter distances, are very stiff and may have no heel or little heel and would be hard to run in for very far off the track. A cross-country or distance spike might be okay as a minimalist shoe.

You remove spikes with a wrench and can buy plugs to replace the spikes if you want. Some companies also sell the same cross country shoe with and without spikes. You would probably find that spikes would not be as durable as trainers which is one reason for the lower cost - you aren't buying as much shoe.

running metalhead

I think it would depend on the spike. Some spikes, like those for shorter distances, are very stiff and may have no heel or little heel and would be hard to run in for very far off the track. A cross-country or distance spike might be okay as a minimalist shoe.

You remove spikes with a wrench and can buy plugs to replace the spikes if you want. Some companies also sell the same cross country shoe with and without spikes. You would probably find that spikes would not be as durable as trainers which is one reason for the lower cost - you aren't buying as much shoe.

The ones I have seen are these El Cheapo (well, Kalenji At-STart) and they are said to be for middle distance and thus flexible... 

I think I will get mysefl a pair for my next "Weird Running Shoe" Test. (first one was 10K in canvas sneakers, the second 10K  in espadrilles, LOL)

THX for the info Smile

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Feeling the growl again

Spikes are removable and you can get blanks (removable with the wrench but short enough to stay up in the sole and not hit the ground).  Cross country spike with blanks are just flats, though unless I got a deal on the spikes I would see no reason not to just get appropriate flats.

If you don't put blanks in them the spike wells will fill up with mud and stuff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills