running a better 5K - advice (Read 1197 times)

I'm running a 5K Saturday and need advice on how to run (or not run) for the next 4 days to be in best running form. I've run 2 so far this spring and have not hit on the right formula - disappointing times and not feeling like I ran very well. Any sage advice??? Laker
      It looks like both times previously you took 2-3 days off before-hand. If that didn't feel right, I'd recommend a VERY EASY 1 or 2 miles the day before. It won't take anything out of our legs (if you go slow enough) and you won't feel as if you're as stiff (which happens to me if I rest too much). Also - the thing that worked best for me prior to 5ks when I was getting back into running was showing up early enough to walk.. A LOT.. I'd just go back and forth around the parking lot for 30 minutes or so. Good luck!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Think Whirled Peas

I agree w/marcus_g on getting there early enough to get a solid warmup in before the race. I prefer to get about 15-20 minutes of SUPER EASY running in about 30 minutes before the gun. I prefer to slowly jog the course backwards so that I get a feel for what the last mile or so is going to be like before the actual race. Helps me prepare for the hardest part of the 5k; the last part of mile 2 and all of mile 3. Today (tuesday) I would do some sort of faster work, not terribly long, but either a short tempo run or a steady state run that got the legs moving a bit faster. Based on your log I would recommend running really easy on Wednesday, 3 miler. Take Thursday off, and then Friday would be super slow and fairly short, for you maybe a mile and a half or so. You may consider doing a few strides after Friday's run, but again, keep 'em short and painless. If you feel like you're working at all, you're running too hard. Keep in mind, this is coming from a relatively new runner too, so YMMV. Good luck, have fun, but RUN HARD!!!! It's a race, and puking at the end is strongly encouraged! Smile Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Agree with all of the above. A bunch of days off before a race is a formula for dead legs. For a 5k, there's usually no need to taper down volume -- only taper down the intensity. Throw some strides in there, and hopefully your legs will be sharp and ready to rock on race day.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Jumping in on this one folks! Would you recommend the same for a 10k race this sat. I was going to do 4.5miles easy on Weds then nothing until race day. I usually have a good hour warm up before race.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jumping in on this one folks! Would you recommend the same for a 10k race this sat. I was going to do 4.5miles easy on Weds then nothing until race day. I usually have a good hour warm up before race.
              Absolutely. Everyone's a little different, but I know I tend to be flat after days off. If you really need a day off, best to take it Thursday before a Saturday race. Then go easy with a few strides on Friday, and you're legs should be both rested and sharp, which is the ideal race day combination.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Think Whirled Peas

Banana Man, I wouldn't take two days off before a 10k. Maybe take Thursday or Friday off, but not both. Looking at your log though, it looks like you frequently have two day breaks, so you'd probably be fine. FOR ME, I know a two day break would mean a pretty lousy performance on race day. It looks like you ran on a Friday before a Sunday race, and you did quite well (just 8 seconds off your PR). How do you feel that worked out for you? If you're just getting back into running, it might be a good time to experiment w/a light run the day before. My personal experience has been to take race week pretty easy from an effort standpoint, but not back off too much on mileage, especially for 5k distances. I've yet to run a 10k road race, but would imagine my feelings wouldn't differ too much. I do like to do some faster work about 5 days before the race, but keep it short enough to not destroy my legs. For example, a Saturday race would have me hammering a tempo run on Tuesday or a really good progression run. I also like to get some striders in the day before a race, after putting in a really easy run. Helps me concentrate on being "light and quick", though I'm neither light nor quick! Smile Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Purdey

Self anointed title

What those chaps said. I definitely feel dead after a day of not running. Keep it real slow for 2 days before the race and warm up well. Then run as fast as you can. Then puke.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Cheers folks! Maybe i'm being too cautious. I had a slight calf strain for the past 2 weeks although it hasnt annoyed me for the last two runs. These were slow runs though so I'm not sure if it is completely better. Might try 4m Wednesday and 2m Thursday with a few strides and rest Friday just in case.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

A Saucy Wench

I usually do a rest day 2 days before any race and the day before the race do an easy run with a long warmup and 3-4 short striders...in this case I define it by gently accelerating until I hit near race pace and then gently decelerating. I also warm up in somewhat similar fashion. A mile or so slow, a mile or so with gentle pickups, a mile or so slow. I tend to warm up about 3 miles for a 5K, 2 for a 10K. How you run the race itself depends on where you are on the distance scale. I rarely run 5K, even for training runs that would be a short run for me. My big problem is getting going before the race is over. I tend to be a slow starter naturally, if I hold back at all the first mile, I never get there. I run 5Ks balls out hard and hold on for dear life. I know that doesnt work for everyone.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Pammie

The day before (as adviced by someone else) i do a short run for me thats 3-4 miles but you could do less. Then near end of run do 6 short strides (50m) its a matter of routine now and do this before every race. I usually do 0ne 5km a month as it goes have another one on friday As for race day i get there 45 minutes beforehand (this is more due to train times than anything else) normally i get there an hour before if i could, but then i am an early bird like to arrive in plenty of time. I usually run about a mile beforehand to warm up.
                          Thanks for all the advice. I did some speed work on my run today, so now I'll try one or two of the strategies here. I won't take two days off before the race - that was not intentional tapering, but too busy to run (hard to believe!) days. I'm really trying to get under 30 minutes for the 5K and sustain 15 mpw training and move towards 20 mpw. I'm hoping one goal will encourage the other. Thanks for the advice! Laker
                            I did an easy 3 miles this am, with strides and plan to do a couple miles tomorrow, the day before race day. Just one more question for anyone with the patience to reply: What is the difference between strides and fartleks? Thanks. Laker

SMART Approach

Striders are generally quick pick ups from 60-100 meters. 800M pace to 5K pace with full recovery. You could call them a Fartlek. Fartlek could mean running hard from a telephone pole to another pole. It could mean running at 10K pace like 4 X 4 min. It could mean 1 mile pace for 10 X 1 min. Or in offseason it could mean 7 X 3 min at marathon pace etc. You can do whatever you want with a Fartlek but do have a purpose or sense of the speed you are running. You don't want to run 4 X 4 min at one mile pace. But the 10 X 1 min, maybe you could. Play with them. At your level, I wouldn't be hammering these Fartlek but 4-5 X 4 min at around 10K pace (this is also known as critical velocity pace) would be a great work out for performing well at all races. Work up to this once per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks so much!