what to do next (Read 556 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have made many mistakes in the past and it has resulted in unecessary injuries. this time i have learnt to be patient and over the past 3 months i have got my passion for running back after a 9 month layoff with my achilles.

i have been building my base with no focus on speed at all. over the past 6 weeks i have averaged about 50mpw and lately i have begun to feel what it is like to run free. 

i apologise my log hasnt been filled so just go off what i say here. over the 50 or so miles i average about 8.30 pace. this feels very comfortable.

my question is that now i feel that i want to introduce some specific workouts to bring on my speed. i have been sensible and know that my patience this time has paid off. what do you guys think would be the best for me to get reaccustomed to speed / race specific workouts? 

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

For being off 9 months, you have ramped up it pretty good if already doing 50 mile weeks. I would not be in any rush to start cranking up the speed. You have plenty of leg speed to begin with. So many runners think to run faster they always have to train faster. I think you know by now that you will get faster as you continue to increase aerobic fitness and miles. This should be your focus. Each mile is cumulative.

A couple questions.

Do you have plans to increase miles further? If so, I would not increase intensity also.

Do you have a goal race down the road? Use this a  goal to put a program around.

If you want to stick at 50 miles than you can add 3 miles of tempo pace  one day in one of your medium long runs and perhaps do a faster finish long run and maybe some striders another day. I wouldn't do a heck of a lot more than that for a while. Let the body adjust and then have a goal down the road where you can put in some race specific speed work to peak.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

Slow-smooth-fast

Not got a race in mind no. as previously stated i have learnt from my mistakes so just happy to be back running easy and enjoying it. i do want to stay around 50 for the forseeable so i will take your advice. besides i have got a 37 week pregnant partner and cant justify getting in anymore than that. i will just continue to run easy and gradually see my easy pace improve. i just dont want to become slow over time if i dont do any speed. suppose the workouts you mentioned will help. 

ps from my easy pace of mid 8 pace what pace approx for the tempo?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

For tempo, I would use about 30 sec. slower than what you feel your 5K pace is TODAY! For me, my 5K pace now is 6:30 pace, my easy pace is 8:30 pace. I do my faster tempo miles at 7:10 pace or so and slower tempo miles at 7:30 pace or so. If I am going out for 4 miles continous I will shoot closer to 7:30 pace. If I am doing 3-4 X 1 mile with 2 min rest, I will shoot closer to 7 min pace. You can also just throw in some Fartleks like 8 X 2 min or 6 X 3 min or 4 X 4 min at a faster pace. Just think about effort and increasing intensity without killing it. One or two times per week stride it out for 4-8  100m striders at a fast pace but not all out. This will keep your leg turnover and fast twitchers activated without going anaerobic or beating you up.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

Slow-smooth-fast

many thanks for the advice tchuck. i will give it a shot and give you a progress report. due to not having tried a 5k i would hazard a guess at 650 pace so will just add 20 seconds or so onto your paces and see how i fare.