speed difference, treadmill vs outside (Read 2906 times)

You lost me after starting up the TM -

Sorry if I wasn't clear. For  the Sole TM's calibration procedure, there's really not  much you can do to make sure its' calibrated, other than telling the TM the size of the rollers, the max speed and the max incline. After that, it starts running and supposedly does the calibration itself. 

That's why I'm confused what one (we) would actually do to calibrate a treadmill.What kind of adjustments do other TMs allow you to make?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. For  the Sole TM's calibration procedure, there's really not  much you can do to make sure its' calibrated, other than telling the TM the size of the rollers, the max speed and the max incline. After that, it starts running and supposedly does the calibration itself. 

That's why I'm confused what one (we) would actually do to calibrate a treadmill.What kind of adjustments do other TMs allow you to make?

My Sole is the same way, just a little off what feels like normal pace to me, maybe 20 seconds per mile.  Some treadmills (such as the sole) allow you to change parameters such as wheel size, or belt length.  I suspect changing the wheel size would change the speed.  If I remember basic science correctly, the bigger the wheel the more distance covered in a single rotation.  So if it is too fast, reduce the wheel size, too slow increase it. 

Cant answer to your TM, but on mine, I go thru a calibration process and it get up to 12 setting and if its registering too slowly or too fast, then there is a little tiny knob on an electronic card that I can adjust to either speed up or slow down the belt at various settings.......

Im sure you can get instructions from your manufacturer....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, I'm fed up with Sole.  Mine no longer goes faster than 11mph...supposed to do 12mph and used to...calibration is no help.  I called them, they claim that what I say is happening is impossible.  I'm done with them.  When this thing dies I will find a used commercial model.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

My new TM at home has its calibration fairly off - 

What did you get?

Regarding pace, the big difference between inside and outside -- calibration aside -- is cooling.  In the summer, my TM is in a fairly warm place of my house, high 70s, even with a ceiling fan over it and a box fan it gets warm quick and I can't do anything more then a moderate run without over-heating quickly.  In the winter, the situation is reversed and the location is cooler and I can do virtually anything I want on it.

In general, I run a bit faster outside than inside, no incline.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Loves the outdoors

I tried calibrating my Treadmill by measuring the length of the belt, then timing it going around at set speeds to see if the distance it said it traveled was correct. It wasn't. My measurements showed that my TM is out by 0.2km/hr. So if I'm running at 8.5km/hr according to the TM readout  I'm actually running at 8.7km/hr. Not that big of a difference and certainly nowhere near enough to explain how much harder I find the TM to running outside. I will do almost anything to avoid running on the TM. Luckily I live in a temperate climate and it's only childcare issues that force me inside and onto the TM.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Yeah, I'm fed up with Sole.  Mine no longer goes faster than 11mph...supposed to do 12mph and used to...calibration is no help.  I called them, they claim that what I say is happening is impossible.  I'm done with them.  When this thing dies I will find a used commercial model.

Me too. 

I've had lots of issues with the safety key. If I just barely touch it, the machine resets. I even replaced the internals of the switch, but after a couple months it became very sensitive to to touches and the TM would reset.  Finally, I took a razor blade and cut it the size of the metal part of they key and glued the two pieces together. Though it just barely fits in the slot, at least there's no wiggle of the key and bumping it doesn't reset the TM.  

If or when this thing breaks completely, and I'm still running, or my son is still running, I'm going with a Landice. Some guys have boats or golf for their expensive hobby. I'll have my money in my treadmill -- a much better investment if you ask me.

Feeling the growl again

Me too. 

I've had lots of issues with the safety key. If I just barely touch it, the machine resets. I even replaced the internals of the switch, but after a couple months it became very sensitive to to touches and the TM would reset.  Finally, I took a razor blade and cut it the size of the metal part of they key and glued the two pieces together. Though it just barely fits in the slot, at least there's no wiggle of the key and bumping it doesn't reset the TM.  

If or when this thing breaks completely, and I'm still running, or my son is still running, I'm going with a Landice. Some guys have boats or golf for their expensive hobby. I'll have my money in my treadmill -- a much better investment if you ask me.

Yes, and mine doesn't like sweat in the keys.  Really, someone designs a treadmill that can't handle sweat??? If I don't wipe it regularly while I run in the summer the incline buttons will start randomly activating.

Also, occasionally it just refuses to start.  I've never really figured out why, and again the help desk is of no help.

Also, occasionally it just refuses to start.  I've never really figured out why, and again the help desk is of no help.

Get a gym membership instead... the help desk fixes it within 24 hours. 
                    And, the equipment seems to be great quality.  Very seldom do I have a problem.

(I kind of jumped into the thread without reading the OP or many other preceding posts, but I used to have a home treadmill... hated it.  Love the treadmills at the gyms.  Night and day difference).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Get a gym membership instead... the help desk fixes it within 24 hours. 
                      And, the equipment seems to be great quality.  Very seldom do I have a problem.

(I kind of jumped into the thread without reading the OP or many other preceding posts, but I used to have a home treadmill... hated it.  Love the treadmills at the gyms.  Night and day difference).

Ah, but we don't all live in the city....and a gym does nothing for me when the primary reason I run on the treadmill is to get in runs when I have to watch my kids.  When they are a bit older I can transition to having them play outside while I run on my private track, whick kind of show up here:

The gym also does not have a private 32in flatscreen in front of each machine.  Wink

Ah, but we don't all live in the city....and a gym does nothing for me when the primary reason I run on the treadmill is to get in runs when I have to watch my kids.

The gym also does not have a private 32in flatscreen in front of each machine.  Wink

Too many variable that I didn't take into consideration...

Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

No idea - I will have to look - I was just happy they replaced it for free

It is not set up for home use - as although it hs speakers - there is no where to plug in your MP3 player.  They other things is it takes a long time to get up to speed.  It also takes a really long time to go down in speed - So if you are cranking at 12 mph and the interval is done so you want to go back to 8 mph - It will take about 1 minute to go back down.

I guess I will get the book out and look at the calibration - I run 2-3 runs a day and everytime I get on the TM it seems about .5 mph off - I was OK with that as I run by feel anyway.  I was hoping that would mean when I get it to 12 mph it will really be 12.5, but I have not taken it above 11 mph yet.

I banged out 2,000+ miles per year on the other one - I have decided to use this one much less - Just use it when I have too.  I will do most my winter TM running at the YMCA - This will allow it to last much longer.

What did you get?

Regarding pace, the big difference between inside and outside -- calibration aside -- is cooling.  In the summer, my TM is in a fairly warm place of my house, high 70s, even with a ceiling fan over it and a box fan it gets warm quick and I can't do anything more then a moderate run without over-heating quickly.  In the winter, the situation is reversed and the location is cooler and I can do virtually anything I want on it.

In general, I run a bit faster outside than inside, no incline.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Our YMCA has a 17 inch flat screen right in front of every piece of equipment that you can plug your headphone into

Home I have a 58 inch with surround sound ... but I can not crank it up when the family is around - So at home I listen to music and watch MMA

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

and at the gym you have Miss-Purfume who seeems to think their cheap cologne smells great when mixed with sweat.  You have Mr-just-ate-garlic-sausages-and-now-has-indigestion, Mr Occasional-farter and Mr Whats-deodourant.  I'm so over gyms. 

MrH

and at the gym you have Miss-Purfume who seeems to think their cheap cologne smells great when mixed with sweat.  You have Mr-just-ate-garlic-sausages-and-now-has-indigestion, Mr Occasional-farter and Mr Whats-deodourant.  I'm so over gyms. 

What finally pushed me over the edge and made me purchase my Landice treadmill earlier this year was a guy at the gym who looked like Phil Collins. Aside from the ugliness factor, I couldn't get Genesis songs out of my head.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.