NYT: Modern Marathoners Have Fewer Miles on Them (Read 940 times)

Why is it sideways?

Good article. Thanks, Trent. I can't help but notice that this incarnation of the inevitable "debate" about what counts as a real runner began by someone (who has since apologized) imagining the way faster runners look down on slower runners and then talking about how that sort of elitist attitude is indefensible. This is a common occurrence on running message boards--and it comes from both "elites" and "penguins"--that leads to a lot of unnecessary disagreement. Best to wait until someone makes an offensive remark before attacking that offensive remark. Though I did start a thread in the 2000 mile club that unfortunately led to a similar conversation, I have to say that one thing I really like about RA is that we don't waste too much time trying to convince others about the true meaning of running, maybe in part because we "elite" runners can look at the logs of you "penguin" runners and see how hard you work!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have to say that one thing I really like about RA is that we don't waste too much time trying to convince others about the true meaning of running, maybe in part because we "elite" runners can look at the logs of you "penguin" runners and see how hard you work!
      One more awesome "feature" of RA! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Good article. Thanks, Trent. I can't help but notice that this incarnation of the inevitable "debate" about what counts as a real runner began by someone (who has since apologized) imagining the way faster runners look down on slower runners and then talking about how that sort of elitist attitude is indefensible. This is a common occurrence on running message boards--and it comes from both "elites" and "penguins"--that leads to a lot of unnecessary disagreement. Best to wait until someone makes an offensive remark before attacking that offensive remark. Though I did start a thread in the 2000 mile club that unfortunately led to a similar conversation, I have to say that one thing I really like about RA is that we don't waste too much time trying to convince others about the true meaning of running, maybe in part because we "elite" runners can look at the logs of you "penguin" runners and see how hard you work!
        Not very prick-like of you, Jeff! Oh, and nice comeback, slowandsteady! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Why is it sideways?

Not very prick-like of you, Jeff!
          Yeah, you're right. Slow runners suck. Big grin
            I have to grin. As a penguin about to embark on my first marathon in less than 48 hrs, reading this article actually makes me proud to be a part of this ever growing trend. I have no aspirations of ever competing in running. Being 5'6" and built like a fire plug, I am not built for it. So when I am out plodding along at my 9-10 min/mi pace and some 6'2" dude with the split shorts comes flying by me as a 6min/mi pace, I don't envy him, I applaud his efforts. And I am sure as he run's by, he doesn't look down on me, he applauds my efforts. OK, maybe that is too 'Hal Higdon-ish', but bottom line is, as a country having a trend where normal people are getting off the couch and out from behind a desk and strapping on shoes to compete/complete anything physical is a step in the right direction.
            Scout7

I will say this much about the marathon trend. Some aspects of it concern me. There's a reason why the old-timers ran alot of miles. It wasn't just to go fast on race day. It also prepared their bodies for the distance. My biggest fear related to low-mileage marathon programs, and those who jump right into training for a marathon, is that the person will get hurt. I've seen it, I've read about it. Prime example: Lance Armstrong. He suffered a broken bone that started out as a stress fracture, and become a full-on break. I read an article about a woman who experienced something similar. While those are extreme examples, I've met people who trained for a marathon, ran it, and decided that the pain wasn't worth, and quit running altogether. I'm not looking down on anyone based on speed. The only time I take issue with other runners is when they directly affect my race by blocking the path or cutting me off. Other than that I have no issues. But, I also feel that running a marathon is not something one should do on a lark. I think it makes perfect sense to try your hand at shorter distances, and build up to the marathon gradually. Do I think the average person needs to do over 50 MPW? No. But I do think that they should be doing over 25 MPW before attempting the marathon.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I second Scout7. Running is something that you can do joyfully without pain or injury for your entire life, if you do it correctly. When it comes to many beginners hell-bent on that first marathon, I see a lot more pain than joy. And not the good kind of pain. Of course, that's their own choice. I wouldn't think of trying to tell them what to do. I don't think it's an exageration to say that running is religion for some of us, so people naturally get all bent out of shape when others interpret it differently. My way is the True Way, you heretics! Wink
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  I think sometimes I take offense too easily to the comparison to faster runners is because deep down I am afraid that they're right. Blush I spend too much time comparing myself to others, and to the elites, and debating over what makes a person a 'real runner'. The answer is so subjective, yet I sometimes feel like my 9 minute miles and 35 mile weeks put me in the category of 'hobby runner' even though I spend 5 days a week and a lot of money on shoes to keep myself out there. For some reason I have this insane need to prove myself 'worthy' of being dubbed a 'real runner', when in reality it only matters that I do it because I love it. All of that to say that in this debate I see all points as valid, and both sides end up being right. And so I will continue to plod along with my (relatively) slow pace and enjoy the races I run and fund the purse that the elites win when they take half the time I will to finish. Wink But I actually did like the article, and I didn't think that it pointed fingers at us non-elites. Instead I think it's pretty awesome that, in a country where obesity is a rising epedemic, running is becoming more and more popular, and the marathon is more attainable. Anything that gets us off the couch can't be a bad thing.
                  "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                  mikeymike

...but bottom line is, as a country having a trend where normal people are getting off the couch and out from behind a desk and strapping on shoes to compete/complete anything physical is a step in the right direction.
                    This was very well said and was essentially my take as well. Maybe it's because I'm extremely comfortable after all these years in my non-serious-runner status, but I didn't see the article as pointing a finger at me or any other non-elite. I saw it as pointing out the fact that in addition to the few hundred very serious runners who toed the line in 1968 and still toe the line today, there are thousands of regular people, for whom running is not a full-time job or even a major pursuit, but who just want to finish for the sake of doing it. Nothing wrong with that. When Amby Burfoot won Boston in 1968 there were a few hundred runners in the field, all of them serious about the sport. In 2007 there were still a few hundred very serious runners in the field. But there were also thousands of regular people with real jobs and lives and responsibilities who prioritize running enough to get to the start, as well as a couple of thousand charity runners, most of whom will do this one marathon and then move on. I said earlier in the thread that there is a big difference between training to race a marathon and training to finish. Some people bristled at the mere suggestion that anyone who shows up at a marathon is training to "just" finish, but I truly believe many if not most of the participants this article is talking about really are training just to finish. We all know these people. They are our neighbors, spouses, doctors, co-workers and our kids' school teachers. They do their one marathon, get their medal and the amazing sense of accomplishment and camaraderie that goes with it and then they move on with the rest of their lives. But they always have that accomplishment to look back on and draw strength from. What's wrong with that? Once upon a time I was one of them. Say what you want about everyone who toes the line showing up to race but I KNOW I went into my first marathon with one goal and one goal only--to finish. As such, I didn't train nearly as hard as I later would when my goals were all the things people have talked about on this thread such as running PR's, meeting a time goal, RACING! But I did enough to finish. It was a tough day and there were several moments when I didn't think I would finish but, like 99% of those who start marathons, I finished and was glad I did. And then a funny thing happened. Something about that experienced ignited a spark and from that spark there came a fire and from that fire there came...me. Mike the runner. And this happens to some percent of all of those first timers who show up at marathons woefully under-prepared and overconfident with the goal of simply finishing. They become runners. And that's a good thing, I think.
                    when in reality it only matters that I do it because I love it.
                    End of story. Oh and your race entry fees don't fund the prize purse for elites who finish in half your time--that comes from the sponsors, so not to worry Wink

Runners run

This is what I love about RunningAHEAD. Heated discussions always turn into peace and love and teddy bears and butterflies and puppies. Smile
                        This is what I love about RunningAHEAD. Heated discussions always turn into peace and love and teddy bears and butterflies and puppies. Smile
                        Smile So true.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unlike other message boards. Roll eyes
                            Unlike other message boards. Roll eyes
                            Yep, getting ugly over there.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do I think the average person needs to do over 50 MPW? No. But I do think that they should be doing over 25 MPW before attempting the marathon.
                              Eek, I have been averaging 25-30/week in the past few months and I wouldn't even consider a marathon at this point...I feel that I would be woefully unprepared and risk injury. It boggles the mind that there are folks who even consider paying the race fee and attempting it with so relatively few miles/week under their belts. It sounds painful! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Once upon a time I was one of them. Say what you want about everyone who toes the line showing up to race but I KNOW I went into my first marathon with one goal and one goal only--to finish. As such, I didn't train nearly as hard as I later would when my goals were all the things people have talked about on this thread such as running PR's, meeting a time goal, RACING! But I did enough to finish. It was a tough day and there were several moments when I didn't think I would finish but, like 99% of those who start marathons, I finished and was glad I did. And then a funny thing happened. Something about that experienced ignited a spark and from that spark there came a fire and from that fire there came...me. Mike the runner. And this happens to some percent of all of those first timers who show up at marathons woefully under-prepared and overconfident with the goal of simply finishing. They become runners. And that's a good thing, I think.
                                Ditto!!!! But it IS a good thing. Without a long-distance goal, I wouldn't be getting out there the 3-5 days that I do right now. I probably wouldn't be running at all...like after I finished my 1st marathon in 2004, i stoppped for about a year and half, gained lots of weight. Decided i needed to run again, and the ONLY thing that kept me going was another Marathon goal.
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado