NYT: Modern Marathoners Have Fewer Miles on Them (Read 940 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Eek, I have been averaging 25-30/week in the past few months and I wouldn't even consider a marathon at this point...I feel that I would be woefully unprepared and risk injury. It boggles the mind that there are folks who even consider paying the race fee and attempting it with so relatively few miles/week under their belts. It sounds painful!
    Actually, just last week I did the Vermont City Marathon on 25-30 miles per week training. Finished in 3:41. It was hard, but not really any harder than earlier marathons for which I had more miles. Of course, I know I could run a lot faster on a lot more miles. But at least I stayed healthy and uninjured (thanks to lots of rest days -- see my log), and finished a decent race. That said, you're probably wise to wait longer. I've been running pretty much continuously for about twelve years, which I think reduces my chances of injury.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That said, you're probably wise to wait longer. I've been running pretty much continuously for about twelve years, which I think reduces my chances of injury.
      Yup...I've only been running for a little over a year. At this point I predict that trying to do a marathon on my current training and experience would be an effort in pain, injury, and frustration. When I finally do complete my first marathon I want it to be a [mostly] good experience that I will be eager to repeat and PR. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay