Running with a Pacemaker (Read 1106 times)

sluggo

John

Well today was the first run since Dec 23rd and the first run after having a pacemaker installed on Jan 5th. I COULD HARDLY BREATH! And my pace was SLOW, not that I am very fast anyway.

I understand the thing just keeps my heart from beating too slow, like zero beats/min, but this run is making me wonder.

Any one else run with one of these things in your chest? Does running life get better?

Thanks

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Danny_McC

I have had a pacemaker for about 6 1/2 years now and I really have had no problems at all.  I wasn't a runner when it was put in, but I started running about 2 years ago and I never notice the pacemaker at all.  I have run 2 marathons and never noticed anything.  My cardiologist says that running with the pacemaker is fine, in fact he was pleased to hear that I have become a runner.  It really has been a great thing for me.  I used to pass out fairly often and I have not passed out once since.  I don't want to minimize your concerns (as I had many of the same when mine was put in) but trust me as someone who has experienced some of what you are going through, living with a pacemaker is no big deal at all.

I have a friend from New Zealand who has a pacemaker and will be doing the full Ironman there in a few weeks.

She's had it a long time, and has been very active for years.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

sluggo

John

You have both provided great feedback. I feel relieved already!

I guess I just have to give myself a chance...

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sluggo

John

I have a friend from New Zealand who has a pacemaker and will be doing the full Ironman there in a few weeks.

She's had it a long time, and has been very active for years.

Thanks for this response. Would you ask your friend what her max heart rate setting might be? My Dr's are not used to runners and they set my max rate as 130 BPM/ At this rate, I could almost get to 15 min/mi. I complained and was reset to 150 BPM which got me to 11 min/mi.

I really want an unlimited max rate. The only reason I have this thing is to keep me above 30 BPM.

I am getting angry with my Docs now.

Thanks

John

sluggo

John

Oh! One more thing. I have been prescribed a beta blocker, pindolol. I don't see any reason to take this.

I will be asking my doc and I am wondering if anyone herre has any knowledge.

Thanks

John

Danny_McC

I was on a beta blocker for a few months before I got my pacemaker put in.  I was on Toprol XL and it was not fun.  It made me very tired and lethargic all the time.  I was very relieved when they said I could go off of it once I got the pacemaker.

As far as my settings are concerned, mine pacer kicks in when my heart rate drops below 50 and there is no maximum setting that I am aware of.  Really for me running with the pacemaker is a non issue, I hope that it turns out to be that way for you too.

DanB

Beta Blockers and running don't mix....

"What are beta blockers and how do they work?

Beta blockers, also known as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, are drugs that block norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline) from binding to beta receptors on nerves. There are three types of beta receptors and they control several functions based on their location in the body.

Beta blockers primarily block β1 and β2 receptors. By blocking the effect of norepinephrine and epinephrine, beta blockers reduce heart rate; reduce blood pressure by dilating blood vessels; and may constrict air passages by stimulating the muscles that surround the air passages to contract."

2013 Goals.......

sluggo

John

I have been absent for a few days.

I agree that my beta blocker, pindolol, was not a good fit for running. I understand it is designed to slow my heart rate and to pump less blood with each beat. I  could barely keep a fast shuffle going. Happily, it did not make me lethargic and tired.

Another happy note, my Dr has agreed that the beta blocker is not necessary and has removed it from my diet. I was also told that there will be no max heart rate set for my pacemaker -yaaa!

Finally, thanks to KerCanDo70, I am inspired to give HR training another shot. I tried it before and hated it. I hope to be more understanding this time around.

John

proffika

I was a distance runner (3-31/2 hour marathon) but began having problems after running 1/4 mile. I would get out of breath and have to stop.  It was determined that I needed a pacemaker due to low heart rate. I had it installed 2 weeks ago and my dr. told me I could begin to jog slowly. He does not have any other patients that run and I'm not sure he is understanding what I am hoping/planning to do. He set the max rate at 100 bpm. I asked him what would happen if I went above 100 and he told me "you would stop". I have been jogging at about 9:15 per mile pace and I feel fine but I'm sure my rate is going above the set 100 bpm. Is there any danger in bringing it above the set rate? Should he set it higher or will my heart automatically take over?

I appreciate any advise you could give me. I don't want to do damage but I'm nervous about consistently going over the set rate.

Thanks!

sluggo

John

Everyone is different (for example, I am 66) so my experience is probably different than yours. While at rest, my heart rate dropped to so low that I passed out. So my pacemaker is set to keep the heart rate from dropping too low.

I had 2 problems after the pacemaker was installed.

1) The Dr's were not familiar with runners so they gave me permission to run sooner than they should have. I developed fluid on my heart and was hospitalized to fix this. I then waited much longer before running again.

2) I was also put on beta blockers. These knocked the socks off my max heart rate. I complained and I was given permission to stop taking them. I was able to run again after coming off this Px.

I am guessing that your 3.5 hr marathons are gone now. It has been years and I have just now gotten back to running 5K without stopping to walk. I am much slower too, dropping from 8 min/mi to 10 min.

The good news is that I still enjoy the running!

I was a distance runner (3-31/2 hour marathon) but began having problems after running 1/4 mile. I would get out of breath and have to stop.  It was determined that I needed a pacemaker due to low heart rate. I had it installed 2 weeks ago and my dr. told me I could begin to jog slowly. He does not have any other patients that run and I'm not sure he is understanding what I am hoping/planning to do. He set the max rate at 100 bpm. I asked him what would happen if I went above 100 and he told me "you would stop". I have been jogging at about 9:15 per mile pace and I feel fine but I'm sure my rate is going above the set 100 bpm. Is there any danger in bringing it above the set rate? Should he set it higher or will my heart automatically take over?

I appreciate any advise you could give me. I don't want to do damage but I'm nervous about consistently going over the set rate.

Thanks!

John