Does anyone race not to win? (Read 948 times)

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when you set off for a race are you trying to win it? Are you trying to improve your time? I set off for a race with the intention of not getting LAST even in small hometown races. I'm really just pleased to finish a race and I always wonder before the gun goes off if I'm the only one. I don't care about my time or performance or winning (I did win my division once, but they was only 10 people in it Blush) I just do it to do it. Are there others like me?
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th

I haven't always run to win the race, but I've always had some sort of goal or workout planned for every race that I run. And if I am racing, then I am trying to win, even when there is better talent there that I haven't got a hope of beating. Every once in a while, I do beat them.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

The irony of "Run to Win" being first to respond to your question is pretty delicious stuff. As for your question: hardly anybody competes to win. There are only a handful of folks here who even have the potential to win the races they enter (see, for example, RuntoWin). Me, I just placed in my age group for the first time, and I was ecstatic; if I ever won something, it'd be be a happy accident - and would require all the fast folks to stay home. That said ... I think most of us are trying to win something. One of the things I like about running is that the competition is within; and my competitor is always going to be just one step ahead. That personal challenge, beating your own weakness ... working so hard to improve your own abilities ... it makes running special for me. I don't care much about awards and medals. But I'd be sad if I wasn't competing for something, even if its just against myself.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

The irony of "Run to Win" being first to respond to your question is pretty delicious stuff.
          Cool
          As for your question: hardly anybody competes to win. [...] That said ... I think most of us are trying to win something. One of the things I like about running is that the competition is within; and my competitor is always going to be just one step ahead. That personal challenge, beating your own weakness ... working so hard to improve your own abilities ... it makes running special for me. I don't care much about awards and medals. But I'd be sad if I wasn't competing for something, even if its just against myself.
          That's basically how I took this question; any goal could be considered a win, even if it isn't the first person to cross the line. You have very little control over the performance of your competition, so the first thing that you need to look at is what you are personally trying to do.
          There are only a handful of folks here who even have the potential to win the races they enter (see, for example, RuntoWin).
          I'm not actually that good; I need a good confluence of events in order to win a race. (The biggest factor in whether I win a race or not usually depends upon how many of my teammates show up. The more there are, the faster I'll run, and the greater the number of people who will beat me.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

I will never win a race. Even if it was only against myself doug 2.0 is much faster. However I enjoy the challange of what ever the day brings. As a once SMO person I enter races to have a goal to work toward and a reason to go out and run. I Am slow and I know it. However it is nice to suprise myself with how fast I actually ran. My goal is to just get out and do it and to enjoy life. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Imminent Catastrophe

What the monkey ape said. Very few of us here have the capability to win, even in age group, unless it's a very small race. Even our local tiny 5k had a couple of guys who showed up in Atlanta Track Club singlets and ran sub-20---in the 50+ age group.These same guys can be seen every weekend at various small 5k's around North Georgia, collecting trophies. I guess they showed us yokels. I compete against myself, and maybe a goal like BQ, which I have so far failed to achieve. If races only had runners who had a realistic chance to win they would be very small. I have a goal in each race, it might be BQ, PR, course record, or maybe just training run. Never to win.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I never enter a race to win. When I started this running thing last year, I heard or read a wonderful comment about races. It was something about all the hard work and competition being done during the training runs against yourself - the race is just the celebration. Thats why I run in races; to celebrate that I can!
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The irony of "Run to Win" being first to respond to your question is pretty delicious stuff.
                  How is that irony?
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

How is that irony?
                    It's ironic in an Alanis Morrisette kind of way.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Go Pre!

The irony of "Run to Win" being first to respond to your question is pretty delicious stuff. As for your question: hardly anybody competes to win. There are only a handful of folks here who even have the potential to win the races they enter (see, for example, RuntoWin). Me, I just placed in my age group for the first time, and I was ecstatic; if I ever won something, it'd be be a happy accident - and would require all the fast folks to stay home. That said ... I think most of us are trying to win something. One of the things I like about running is that the competition is within; and my competitor is always going to be just one step ahead. That personal challenge, beating your own weakness ... working so hard to improve your own abilities ... it makes running special for me. I don't care much about awards and medals. But I'd be sad if I wasn't competing for something, even if its just against myself.
                      You impress me sometimes JK. When I saw the subject of this thread, i immediately opened it up looking for your sarcastic, witty or smartass comments...but your response is dead on perfect.

Go Pre!

How is that irony?
                        You need a day off.

Go Pre!

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when you set off for a race are you trying to win it? Are you trying to improve your time? I set off for a race with the intention of not getting LAST even in small hometown races. I'm really just pleased to finish a race and I always wonder before the gun goes off if I'm the only one. I don't care about my time or performance or winning (I did win my division once, but they was only 10 people in it Blush) I just do it to do it. Are there others like me?
                          3 posts in a row Smile Chloe, honestly somedays I hope some of the faster people stay at home. I like awards, accolades, prizes, medals etc and I am not ashamed to admit it. If I win an age group award I am happy to say "I was the fastest 40-45 yr old male there THAT day" MTA: Especially if I've run a good race. 2 of my age group awards came on bad days and I felt weird taking the prize (but I took it). That said, I don't go home upset the 99% of the time I go home empty handed.

The voice of mile 18

yea this hardcore and funcore. I'm funcore. i'd like to win hardware and set a PR but it isn't the end all be all for me.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I usually just run to meet/beat my own goals. Sometimes one of the goals is to place in my age group, but otherwise there is no competition with other people in a race. More common is to aim for a PR, achieving a milestone (<20 5k) or even just finishing (marathon). i've also done some races just to join in with friends who are doing them. if an all out effort doesn't fit into my schedule, i'll just take it nice and easy and run along with one of them. 5k)="" or="" even="" just="" finishing="" (marathon).="" i've="" also="" done="" some="" races="" just="" to="" join="" in="" with="" friends="" who="" are="" doing="" them.="" if="" an="" all="" out="" effort="" doesn't="" fit="" into="" my="" schedule,="" i'll="" just="" take="" it="" nice="" and="" easy="" and="" run="" along="" with="" one="" of=""></20 5k) or even just finishing (marathon). i've also done some races just to join in with friends who are doing them. if an all out effort doesn't fit into my schedule, i'll just take it nice and easy and run along with one of them.>

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

rlemert

Take a look at the recent Olympic Trials. As you go through the list of competitors in each event you'll find the favorites, the people with the outside chance, and the people that you think don't even belong in the race. I believe, for example, that there was a girl just out of high school in the women's 1500 m. She realistically didn't have a chance of qualifying for the Olympics - this year! Then again, that's probably not why she was in Eugene. She, and many like her, were there getting exposure to the high-stakes environment. They were there to gain experience so that next time, maybe they would be the ones racing to win.