Ventura/Ojai CA places to run (Read 484 times)

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

We'll be in California next month for my brother's wedding - I'm staying in Ojai, my sister is staying down the road in Ventura, we both have to run 15m that Saturday morning in prep for the Richmond VA marathon. Any locals w/ advice as to where we should run? Thanks!

Jeanne

TJoseph

I live about 2.5 hours south of Ventura. It has been a while, but I used to have a customer in Santa Barbara. I liked to stop at Ventura for a run on the way home. There is an exit just north of Ventura for the Pacific Coast Hwy (Hwy 1). You can run along the beach on it. I am not local to the area, so I can't give you any other advice, but I really enjoyed running there.

Jazz hands!

I haven't spent much time there either, but downtown Ventura is pretty charming. Dunno if it's a good place to run, though...
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          I live just half an hour up the road in Santa Barbara and there are tons of great runs here. I don't know as much about Ventura and nothing about running in Ojai - although it is a beautiful town. What I know about Ventura is limited to various races there. There is an annual 5k (sponsored by Patagonia so the prizes are very cool) that starts at the West end of town (where Main st crosses the Ventura River) and heads north along the River (actually in the river - most of the year it is bone dry). Just scramble down from the bridge and you will be on the path. The 5k heads up the river, cuts up onto a levee and heads back. I don't know how much further you could go on the levee. You could explore with google maps. This is a pretty nice traffic free run but is neither road nor trail - kind of a rocky road. There is a summer splash and dash series along the boardwalk. A bit short for you but maybe you could combine that with the river run. The course is shown on their website: http://www.venturasplashndash.com/Course_Maps.html Finally there is a new 1/2 marathon this fall in Oxnard (right next to Ventura). There's a map on their website. Sounds pretty scenic - 'A flat and fast course through the harbor business area, Oxnard shores, the famous Oxnard strawberry fields and finish up at the harbor.' http://www.elitesportsvc.com/Team.html I don't know what this run would be like outside the race but it's a nice measured 13 miles... John
          Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Non ducor, duco.

I second the Santa Barabara! My DH is from there. It is absolutely the MOST beautiful place and when we go there I LOVE to run there. You can go all the way along the beach on a bike path from Ventura to Santa Barbara, if i remember correctlyl You could start at Pierpont Holiday Inn in Ventura. There probably is 30 miles of path.(sigh) Have fun!
            Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Thanks for all the tips! My brother tells me there is a Rails to Trails path that runs for 15m along the highway between Ojai and Ventura (the Ventura River Trail - this may be the one you refer to, John). It'll either be that one or the beach run toward Santa Barbara. Either way, I'm soooooo looking forward to running in California again - my training suffers in this Ohio humidity!

Jeanne