Running with Glasses (Read 292 times)

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I can't see the big "E" on the eye chart. I have to run with glasses.

For years I've used an older pair of glasses, with a Croakies brand strap, to keep the glasses on my face. However, I recently left my glasses on the floor and, not surprisingly, they got stepped on. One of the arms of the glasses was sticking out at a 90° angle up from the rest of the frame - it's not supposed to do that. While the kind staff person at Lens Crafters was able to bend them back into shape, there's only so many times you can bend a paperclip until it snaps. So too with these old pair of glasses. I'm in the market for a new pair of glasses to wear while running.

For you who wear glasses while running, do you use your everyday glasses for running?

I haven't, because I find the sweat to really get my glasses pretty nasty ... particularly over time (including rusting/corroding metal parts of the frame, etc.).

Do you get speciality sport glasses for running?

Do you buy a cheap pair to use just for running?

Or do you just run blind and hope you don't die from running into a tree (I've done that) or tripping over a curb (I've done that)?

Thanks, all!

I used to need glasses and unfortunately could not get away without spending pretty much every waking moment with them in order to go anywhere. (very strong prescription) What I had was both a spare pair of glasses for running (because yes, they could get broken if they fell off) and a pair of prescription sunglasses for running. When they fogged, however, I was hooped....I recommend LASIK, it worked for me. (plus the amount of non-prescription running sunglasses are plentiful and cheap!)

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

I recommend LASIK, it worked for me. (plus the amount of non-prescription running sunglasses are plentiful and cheap!)

I'd like to get Lasik if I could afford it, even if I could it sounds like a unpleasant experience too.  I wish that made it easier.

I just wear my regular glasses when running.  If it's bright and sunny out I usually wear a hat or sometimes my prescription sunglasses depending on the weather or my mood.  I don't find my glasses fogging up much unless I'm wearing something over my nose/mouth during the coldest days of winter.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I just wear my everyday glasses for running. For bright, sunny days, I wear a pair of Fitover sunglasses.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I'd like to get Lasik if I could afford it, even if I could it sounds like a unpleasant experience too.  I wish that made it easier.

5-10 minutes of actual laser surgery, your eye is so desensitized that you don't feel a thing.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

bap

There are alternatives to  LASIK

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/lasik-surgery

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Not everone is a candidate for lasik either.  **points to the left**

You people have issues 

Joann Y

How do those of you who run with regular glasses stand bright sun?  Squinting gives me a serious headache fast.  Add in snow and sun (which seems to be a rare combination in MI, fortunately/unfortunately) and I'm in some serious pain.  Driving without shades on a sunny day is recipe for me to rear-end someone.  Plus I don't really care to develop cataracts any earlier than necessary from UV exposure.  They seem to start in my family pretty early, as is.

If my script is significantly worse in 10-20 years I'd likely go the Lasik route.  Contacts are a no-go for me with serious allergies and riding my bike in a lot of mud and sand.  Even with good wrap-around sunglasses a lot of dust and grit seems to find its way behind the lens.

I've had glasses most of my life and have rarely worn sunglasses in that time. It just seems really weird to me. Like on a cloudy day we wish it were sunny but then when it is sunny we cloud it up with sunglasses. Mostly I'm just lazy. If I have to have a whole routine for getting out the door for a run (or anything else for that matter) it won't happen. I guess I rarely squint. I just look away from the sun if it's that bright. Or maybe wear a cap if it's a long run.

I won't do Lasik. I'm scared of doctors.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You can do as I did, and wait until you get cataracts, then get IOLs (intra-ocular lens implants).  I haven't seen this well for 40 years, and insurance pays for it. Smile

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't wear contacts.  Running on the track blind (20/250ish back then) was OK, but not an option for XC, so I talked my grandmother into paying for contacts when I was ~14.  I've never looked back.  I only wear glasses when I absolutely have to, mainly a few bad allergy days every spring.  Since I'm now at about 20/450, even running on pavement without corrective lenses would be hazardous.  If it's sunny, I wear a hat pulled low over my eyes.  Sunglasses are pretty much only for driving.  The problem with any type of glasses is I have a very oily forehead, so my eyebrows deposit a steady stream of oil onto the lenses requiring frequent cleaning and annoying the ever-loving daylights out of me.

Not that any part of my rant helps if you can't wear contacts.  Good luck Chris.

I'm on the ragged edge of blind and have to wear glasses when I run.    I just wear my normal day to day glasses and I have a reserve pair just in case my normal ones get broken (they are my older one and my older prescription).    I cant really afford a 2nd or 3rd pair of glasses as they cost WAY TOO MUCH now days...

I've never run in sun glasses -

The only real problem I have running with glasses is when it starts raining or misting because I just can see with all the water beading up......so I might wear a CAP on those days..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Nana_

FlipBelt

I carry reading glasses in my FlipBelt ...and wear non-Rx sunglasses

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I run in my regular glasses.

always have.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

You'll ruin your knees!

Can't really say about running with glasses, but there is a lot of bad press out there for running with scissors.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Can't really say about running with glasses, but there is a lot of bad press out there for running with scissors.

That is "Running with my good scissors". I got around this by only running with the bad scissors. Not sure what constitutes bad scissors or why we kept them if they were indeed bad, but hey...

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice