max heart rate I must be having a heart attack. (Read 1439 times)

xor

No I was serious except for the heart attack part and that answer sounds about right.  Just from everything I've read my max heart rate is approx 188.  185 would be like 98%.  There's no way that's possible even with adrenaline.  Perhaps my watch is off a few beats or my max HR is faster than the predictions as another user stated.  but even if my max HR was 205, that would be 90% for 1/3 of the race and high 80's for 100% of the race. 

It's bizarre though as when I did my intervals today and my HR never quite reached 185 I don't think or perhaps barely reached it, I had chest pain like my heart was about to explode from pushing the intensity so heard.  The race though, although I was tired, I had no cramping or chest pain.  I guess adrenaline and crowd support helped with that. 

ennay's not just a user, she's the source, man.

And it is her birthday.

dallasboycows

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1bb5de602e374ab396b396e44dcef92e

OK this thread makes me feel somewhat relieved as it appears I'm not the only one to experience very high heart rate.  I was seriously starting to get worried after talking to a few of the trainers at the gym.  I just bought the heart rate monitor so I guess I'll monitor some of my faster 3 mile runs and see what my pulse is.  It may just be normal for me, could be the caffeine or a health issue like cholesterol, etc.  

dallasboycows

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/max.html

A Saucy Wench

I'm still liking the ads this thread is generating.  Dude looks like he is having a migraine not an MI

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

dallasboycows

i keep checking back on this post and keep seeing the reply sorry to break the news but you are dead.  cracks me up because i'm such a smartass.  Anytime somebody tells me their head hurts or back or have a runny nose I always say something dumb like must be aids or herpes or avian flu.  LOL.  Guess I'm dead. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The only way to know what your max HR is for sure is to test it.  It is unpleasant and often results in tunnel vision, blacking out and/or vomiting.  Kind of cool if you are into that sort of  thing.  ...

He has already confessed to racing 5K, so we know he likes that sort of pain.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, and this:

max heart rate I must be having a heart attack

Stop, drop, and roll.

If that doesn't solve it, you can stop the rolling.

dallasboycows

any specific way to test it to at least +- 5-10 beats?

dallasboycows

Nobody here is going to flame you for running a 5K undertrained.  Unless you keep doing it and then ask why your times arent improving.

no I was talking about for drinking caffeine before a race.  I got bitched at by people at the race about safety. 

A Saucy Wench

no I was talking about for drinking caffeine before a race.  I got bitched at by people at the race about safety. 

BWAHAHAHAHA....ok....probably 85% of the people on here drink caffeine.  Maybe not 5hrenergy, but coffee is god

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

dallasboycows

well i know that but I meant in moderately high levels to boost performance right before racing. glad you didn't bitch me out though.  lol. 

xor

BWAHAHAHAHA....ok....probably 85% of the people on here drink caffeine.  Maybe not 5hrenergy, but coffee is god

You really REALLY just pissed off Eric Clapton.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... but coffee is ...

yuck

DespiteMyself

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

dallasboycows

Ok, agreed coffee is absolutely foul tasting.  Second, I did a survey of about 20 people at the gym who are avid runners(I work PT at Anytime Fitness) and found it is common for people to have a 200 +- 5-10 max hr.  Also definately people who have much lower. 

Second, I did a warmup of about 25 minutes to 170 bpm and then did 90% max effort 200m run and my HR did in fact hit the mid 190's so I'm guessing if I did the true stress test or the submaximal treadmill stress test that I would indeed top out at somewhere between 198-208.