Can I run a HM on April 12?? (Read 480 times)

pitrunner

I had been planning on running a HM on May 4th but now I've found one on April 12th that is at the beach and will be a lot more fun. I had planned on doing a 12 week program for the May 4th HM, but if I decide to do April 12th I will only have about 8 weeks to train. And of course, I'll be skiing in the rockies this week which may not make for the most consistent start. Here's a quick summary of my running log, but feel free to check it out: -Roughly running 10 - 15 miles per week since October (some weeks a little less) -I did an 8 mile long run in December, but haven't done it since (8 miles is a mental roadblock for me for some reason) -Long runs have been 6 miles on Sundays (except the last 2, I've been battling an upper respiratory infection). But generally, I have no problem doing that distance whatsoever. I've actually been restraining myself to 6 because I wanted to make sure I didn't overdo it before I began my program. If I jump into my program late, I will have a 7 miler scheduled for this Sunday, which doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I'm just wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew or if I'm possibly setting myself up for injury??
    jeffdonahue

Technically, you could but it would probably hurt. By my calculations if you did an 8 miler this week and built up one mile a week from there you would only get up to about 14 miles before you would want to taper down. I personally wouldnt recommend it because struggling through 26 miles is not "fun" no matter how nice the course.
      pitrunner

Yeah, there's no way I'd want to train for a marathon in only 8 weeks...I'm only doing a half marathon. Sorry if I didn't make it clear above Smile
          Way too low on the miles, imo, even for a 10k.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Scout7

You can do whatever you like. But I'm not recommending it. Why rush it? You could do it, and complete it, and probably have a good time doing it. And you could also injure yourself in trying to hit some goal that seems vaguely possible. Based on your current volume and consistency levels, I'd advice against it. But, I'm not gonna stop you if you try.
            jeffdonahue

That was my bad, for some reason read it as a marathon. For a half, you could probably do it pretty comfortably if you can get at least one 13 miler in before it, but I would probably still go with the later one. It will feel better and you will feel better prepared for it, which will make it all the more enjoyable.
                No problem on a ½ marathon at all, I wouldn't think.You already run. What's the problem? Get out and run. That being said, if you start getting nagging injuries, ease up on either the speed or distance. Good luck
                pitrunner

Thanks for the info guys. Since I'm getting such varied responses I think I might make my decision in a few weeks when I get up to 10 miles. If I feel worn out and my problem areas are nagging me (knees, shins), then I probably will take it down a notch and wait for May. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!